Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it practical for me to get a BRZ/Fr-S (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119788)

Weston_Perini 06-24-2017 10:54 PM

Is it practical for me to get a BRZ/Fr-S

Im 6'6" and about 230 pounds. I have gone and test driven the brand new Toyota 86 just to see how I would fit in the car, and I will say that it was a bit of a squeeze. My knees were brushing against the wheel and when turning my hands would hit them. Also working the clutch was rather difficult.

Is there anything that I could do after purchase that would make it easier for me to fit better? Or should I try to find something else.

gramicci101 06-24-2017 11:04 PM

I'm 6'5" and anywhere from 230-270. I think @Ultramaroon is 6'6". At our height it really just comes down to how you're proportioned. If you're all leg or all torso, then you won't fit very well. Aside from putting the seat all the way back, all the way down, and leaning them back a bit, there's not a lot you can do. There's no extra room under or behind the seat to gain by custom seat mounts. If you went to a side-mount aftermarket seat then that could sit lower. But you're also removing part of the OEM safety system (airbag), which means if you get in an accident the insurance company might bail on you. Replacing the back seats with a carpeted shelf would let you mount the aftermarket seats further back and still look ok.

zizon93 06-24-2017 11:11 PM

wow, you guys are tall LOL ... I'm 5'11/155lbs and never have to worry about this kind of thing ...

gramicci101 06-24-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zizon93 (Post 2934941)
wow, you guys are tall LOL ... I'm 5'11/155lbs and never have to worry about this kind of thing ...

I can't wear a helmet or it'll rub the ceiling, which rules out any sort of motorsports, and the rear view mirror blocks my field of vision. Beyond that, the car fits perfectly. Buying fun cars when you're this tall is a challenge. Or very expensive.

Ultramaroon 06-24-2017 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramicci101 (Post 2934938)
I'm 6'5" and anywhere from 230-270. I think @Ultramaroon is 6'6".

Where did I get the extra inch? You & Steve both give me too much credit. :thumbsup: :D

OP, like Gram said, it's all in the proportion. I think I'm pretty much at the limit. I'll ask the obvious questions, though. Did you lower the seat all the way? Did you extend and raise the steering wheel all the way?

I'm guessing you're mostly leg.

I rub with a helmet but fuck it. I wanna go fast.

gramicci101 06-24-2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2934947)
Where did I get the extra inch? You & Steve both give me too much credit. :thumbsup: :D.

At least I assumed the extra inch is height. There's no telling what Steve was thinking.

Ultramaroon 06-24-2017 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramicci101 (Post 2934948)
At least I assumed the extra inch is height. There's no telling what Steve was thinking.

lol

We'll never know.

Tcoat 06-24-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zizon93 (Post 2934941)

Their group photo
https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...20070120142446

zizon93 06-24-2017 11:39 PM

I might sound stereotypical but I've always thought such a big guys would never choose to drive an FR-S/BRZ/86 purely because I expect them to not really fit into a car and have seen numerous times they just go with muscle cars ... but wow this thread change my mind completely ... at least a little I suppose :D

gramicci101 06-25-2017 12:00 AM

Eh, we all like different things, but sometimes it really does come down to what actually fits. When I was 12 I got stuck getting into a Miata and my mom had to help me out. I can drive an Elise or Exige, but if the top is on when I get out I look like Ace Ventura crawling out of the rhino. My belt got caught on the door striker and I got stuck there too. My wife would have helped if she wasn't laying on the sidewalk laughing.

I'm not a muscle car fan, but I am a Subaru fan. The 2014 WRX and STi looked boring and felt like I was sitting on a bench. They were fast, but not engaging at all. The BRZ looks gorgeous, you sit low in a cockpit instead of upright in a chair, and it's a blast to drive. I was thrilled to find out that I fit.

humfrz 06-25-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weston_Perini (Post 2934934)
Im 6'6" and about 230 pounds. I have gone and test driven the brand new Toyota 86 just to see how I would fit in the car, and I will say that it was a bit of a squeeze. My knees were brushing against the wheel and when turning my hands would hit them. Also working the clutch was rather difficult.

Is there anything that I could do after purchase that would make it easier for me to fit better? Or should I try to find something else.

Welcome, Weston_Perini ....... :clap:

Like @Ultramaroon asks "Did you lower the seat all the way? Did you extend and raise the steering wheel all the way?"

If you're not sure, I'd suggest you go back and have another sitting ..... ;)

humfrz

Weston_Perini 06-25-2017 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2934967)
Welcome, Weston_Perini ....... :clap:

Like @Ultramaroon asks "Did you lower the seat all the way? Did you extend and raise the steering wheel all the way?"

If you're not sure, I'd suggest you go back and have another sitting ..... ;)

humfrz

Yes, I lowered and moved everything back as far as it went, Im a 38 inch inseam pants if that gives you any idea. Im basically 200% legs

Weston_Perini 06-25-2017 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2934947)
Where did I get the extra inch? You & Steve both give me too much credit. :thumbsup: :D

OP, like Gram said, it's all in the proportion. I think I'm pretty much at the limit. I'll ask the obvious questions, though. Did you lower the seat all the way? Did you extend and raise the steering wheel all the way?

I'm guessing you're mostly leg.

I rub with a helmet but fuck it. I wanna go fast.

Yeah im a 38 inch inseam, Im 200% legs but unfortunately I cant find any other cars that even interest me and I dont have a ton of money to spend.

humfrz 06-25-2017 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weston_Perini (Post 2935022)
Yeah im a 38 inch inseam, Im 200% legs but unfortunately I cant find any other cars that even interest me and I dont have a ton of money to spend.

Well, like they say .....you only live once ...... just go for it !...... :thumbsup:

Or, maybe a lightly used older Corvette .... ;)

humfrz