Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Weighted Shift Knob (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116726)

Exrald 03-20-2017 07:20 PM

Weighted Shift Knob

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering. What is a benefit of a weighted Shift Knob?

My friend is selling me his Raceseng Ashiko Weighted shift knob. It's very tempting. I heard it's smoother shift with it. But other than that, is just looks...

I'm also worried about the selector fork. Will it increase the wear since it's heavy?

Thanks for your help guys! :D

humfrz 03-20-2017 07:28 PM

Benefit ....?? I don't see any benefit. It just takes more force to move it.

Looks....?? Well, it's OK ..... if it's perty to you.

Increase wear on the transmission..?? I reckon not .....unless you use it like a club to beat the transmission with .....;)

humfrz

Exrald 03-20-2017 10:04 PM

Thank you @humfrz!

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had your twin?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Gunman 03-20-2017 10:15 PM

The weight of the knob provides more inertia, which can give the smoother shift feel.

Now, if you wanna be racecar, go the other way, and make it light. That inertia can make the shift lever move, aka shift, on it's own under heavy breaking/acceleration, taking the car out of gear.

Exrald 03-20-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman (Post 2876156)
The weight of the knob provides more inertia, which can give the smoother shift feel.

Now, if you wanna be racecar, go the other way, and make it light. That inertia can make the shift lever move, aka shift, on it's own under heavy breaking/acceleration, taking the car out of gear.

Oh no, that's one thing I don't want to happen. I use it as a daily, but get crazy with it sometimes. I won't get that then. Thank you @Gunman!

humfrz 03-20-2017 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exrald (Post 2876146)
Thank you @humfrz!

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had your twin?

I've had my FR-S for about 4 years.

Before that, I drove an NC Miata (5 speed) for 7 years.

I tried a weighted shift knob on the Miata ...... I didn't like it ...... it's still sitting on a shelf ...... somewhere in my garage.

NOW, here is a shift knob!

:D

humfrz

FuelMode 03-20-2017 10:27 PM

I race my FRS and use a heavy weight knob daily. It won't slip out of gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exrald 03-20-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2876167)
I've had my FR-S for about 4 years.

Before that, I drove an NC Miata (5 speed) for 7 years.

I tried a weighted shift knob on the Miata ...... I didn't like it ...... it's still sitting on a shelf ...... somewhere in my garage.

NOW, here is a shift knob!

:D

humfrz

Lmao! That's Dope!

I've always wanted to drive a Miata. I was choosing between FRS, Miata, and GTI. FRS went through because I got a good deal on it.

Exrald 03-20-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuelMode (Post 2876168)

I see. I'll consider it again. But I feel like weighted shift knobs tend to be pricey...

FuelMode 03-20-2017 10:32 PM

Because they feel better and make you more confident in your shifts and they use more steel

humfrz 03-20-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuelMode (Post 2876168)

Welp, FuelMode, I reckon if your FR-S is slipping out of gear with the OEM shift knob, either you didn't get it all the way in gear ...... or your transmission is screwed up ......;)

humfrz

FuelMode 03-20-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2876174)
Welp, FuelMode, I reckon if your FR-S is slipping out of gear with the OEM shift knob, either you didn't get it all the way in gear ...... or your transmission is screwed up ......;)

humfrz

Yeah my FRS have never slipped out of gear. I don't have the OEM shift knob, even with the OEM knob it didn't slip out.

Where did you get that my FRS is slipping?

humfrz 03-20-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuelMode (Post 2876172)
Because they feel better and make you more confident in your shifts and they use more steel

DANG ........ do shift knobs take such a beating they have to be made out of steel ...... :confused0068:

I'd better go take a pill, I'm starten to sound like ol @Tcoat ...... :bow:

humfrz

FuelMode 03-20-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2876176)
DANG ........ do shift knobs take such a beating they have to be made out of steel ...... :confused0068:

I'd better go take a pill, I'm starten to sound like ol @Tcoat ...... :bow:

humfrz

You clearly are either a troll, or the least knowledgeable person in the world.