Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Open flash issue (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107944)

gmanvilla1@gmail.com 07-04-2016 02:11 PM

Open flash issue

Open flash tune: I haven been running corn fuel for approx 3000 miles an never had a problem. Two weeks ago I switch back my tune to the original for my free oil change at the dealer. I immediately went back to corn fuel and stage 2 EL tune but a couple day after the traction control light and check engine light came on. I drove the car for a couple of days and at times the car would lose power...I tuned the car back to the original time and both lights went away. I am hesitant of going back to E85 but sure miss the power. Is a 2015 with only 11k miles. Any thoughts?thx

Teseo 07-04-2016 02:15 PM

What codes threw?

gmanvilla1@gmail.com 07-04-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 2696532)
What codes threw?

Not sure what you mean...just the traction control and check engine lights came on and once loss power as I was on first gear. Got concern thinking it wasn't related to the open flash and reading articles of having to open the motor to address this issue I then decided to flash it back to the original tune to be able to take it to the dealer and when I concluded with the tune I realized both lights when off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teseo 07-04-2016 02:40 PM

Open flash tablet can read/clear codes, if you can read them, then report here for more help. Without them its just guessing

cjd 07-04-2016 03:05 PM

Any codes?

Anything plugged into the odb port when this happened?

I had a similar issue with my 86Nanny plugged in, turned out to be a weird/bad batch of ODB connectors that made intermittent connection - every time it lost connection and regained it, it would try to handshake and sent the ECU into fits. Fixed the connector and no issues since. I should add, support was awesome -it could be anything not quite properly seated on the ODB causing this. Also, the code is important, just in case it's something else.

steve99 07-04-2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmanvilla1@gmail.com (Post 2696531)
Open flash tune: I haven been running corn fuel for approx 3000 miles an never had a problem. Two weeks ago I switch back my tune to the original for my free oil change at the dealer. I immediately went back to corn fuel and stage 2 EL tune but a couple day after the traction control light and check engine light came on. I drove the car for a couple of days and at times the car would lose power...I tuned the car back to the original time and both lights went away. I am hesitant of going back to E85 but sure miss the power. Is a 2015 with only 11k miles. Any thoughts?thx

Use your OFT (under diagnistics i think) to read out the check engine light (CEL) code is will be something like Pxxxx or Uxxxx. if you post up what the codes are we might be able to help

guybo 07-04-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmanvilla1@gmail.com (Post 2696534)
Not sure what you mean...just the traction control and check engine lights came on

A check engine light always has a code associated with it that gives you an idea of what the problem is (well, it gives you a place to start looking for a prob anyway). An OBD2 port reader or your OFT can read what this code is

jerbull 07-04-2016 11:40 PM

Post the codes. Also a log containing your fuel trims would be helpful.

wparsons 07-05-2016 11:49 AM

Why did you flash back to stock for an oil change? They aren't going to plug into the OBD port for that, and even if they did they wouldn't have the tools at the dealership to compare the ROM on the computer to a stock ROM.

gmanvilla1@gmail.com 07-05-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 2697171)
Why did you flash back to stock for an oil change? They aren't going to plug into the OBD port for that, and even if they did they wouldn't have the tools at the dealership to compare the ROM on the computer to a stock ROM.

Are you serious. I had no idea. I was under the impression they would find out. And the car was running incredible....I will flash it back in a couple of day when I fill up e85 and see how it goes.

gmanvilla1@gmail.com 07-05-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerbull (Post 2696834)
Post the codes. Also a log containing your fuel trims would be helpful.

I will. Thank you.

phrosty 07-05-2016 05:29 PM

Quote:

Maybe he found the one proactive dealer in the world who likes updating customer cars ;).

steve99 07-05-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmanvilla1@gmail.com (Post 2697440)
Are you serious. I had no idea. I was under the impression they would find out. And the car was running incredible....I will flash it back in a couple of day when I fill up e85 and see how it goes.

Warning they can check the CVN (checksum value) with techstream/subaru ssm tool. This gives them enough to prove the rom in car is non standard. The CVN is available as a standard PID so can be pulled even on ecutek/brzedit locked tunes. And will catch you out even if you flash a "stock" rom with Ecutek due embedded licience info changing CVN.

With OFT or Tactrix you can flash back a 100% stock rom and CVN will match the stock rom calid CVN.

As stated its extremly unlikely thet they will check the CVN at standard service. as they have to look up the value of stock rom CVN, but its possible.

They would only usually check CVN if you had problems or maybe other obvious mods .

They usually plug in their diagnostic tool at any service to check for stored codes also not all fault codes the CEL light.

gmanvilla1@gmail.com 07-06-2016 01:56 PM

Thank you sir. You da man