Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heated seats option (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133732)

Twitchy313 03-28-2019 07:01 PM

Heated seats option

Hey guys, I’m looking to do a few interior upgrades on my interior, and i was just wondering if the oem seats can be used as heated seats? Or do you have to have the leather/alcantara option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcoat 03-28-2019 07:03 PM

Don't see any reason you couldn't put the elements in any seat.

Twitchy313 03-28-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3201451)

Just wondering because of the material. Would it burn or have any affect on the material of the seats, i found some pads on eBay for like 40 bucks that would work, but just not sure if it’s possible with OEM unless they’re the limited seats.

Twitchy313 03-28-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3201451)

I appreciate the help tho! Thanks bud!

Tcoat 03-28-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitchy313 (Post 3201453)
Just wondering because of the material. Would it burn or have any affect on the material of the seats, i found some pads on eBay for like 40 bucks that would work, but just not sure if it’s possible with OEM unless they’re the limited seats.

They are plenty durable and they tend to not make car seats out of materials that will burst into flame when hot. They can take the heat of a closed up car in California so the 100 or so degrees the pads get will be fine.

Twitchy313 03-28-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3201456)
They are plenty durable and they tend to not make car seats out of materials that will burst into flame when hot. They can take the heat of a closed up car in California so the 100 or so degrees the pads get will be fine.

Awesome bro! Thank you so much for that! Looking forward to getting some good heated seating lol.

xdavidx 03-28-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3201456)
they tend to not make car seats out of materials that will burst into flame when hot

well, toyota & subaru generally don't... GM and Ford will as long as they determine the cost savings are greater than the lawsuit expenses

Tcoat 03-28-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdavidx (Post 3201477)
well, toyota & subaru generally don't... GM and Ford will as long as they determine the cost savings are greater than the lawsuit expenses

Not so much anymore. It is fun that the government had to step in and make a law that car materials don't burst into flame under normal conditions. Would think that would be a no brainer.

xdavidx 03-28-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3201486)
Not so much anymore. It is fun that the government had to step in and make a law that car materials don't burst into flame under normal conditions. Would think that would be a no brainer.

Well Tcoat, here in america we believe in freedom. Freedom means you can make car seats out of whatever material you want. Not the governments place to say if it should or shouldn't randomly burst into flames.

Tcoat 03-28-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdavidx (Post 3201490)
Well Tcoat, here in america we believe in freedom. Freedom means you can make car seats out of whatever material you want. Not the governments place to say if it should or shouldn't randomly burst into flames.

Well it actually has been for about 20 years now. There is almost nothing in the industry that isn't regulated anymore.
The is probably a team in an FMVSS lab measuring how sharp the edges on radio knobs should be at this very second. Of course the study will cost $120,000,000 which will have to be paid for by the auto industry.

funwheeldrive 03-28-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdavidx (Post 3201490)

This is coming from a guy who lives in a state where you automatically get fined $1,000 if your exhaust is too loud. :bellyroll:

Tcoat 03-28-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3201508)
This is coming from a guy who lives in a state where you automatically get fined $1,000 if your exhaust is too loud. :bellyroll:

And the city where little old ladies drive brand new shiny super stocked Dodges.

soundman98 03-28-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitchy313 (Post 3201453)

Forewarning, i was told by a toyota dealer when i was shopping for my '14 that installing aftermarket heaters in the passenger seat can cause issues with the passenger airbag sensor. Though they could have been pushing me to get the 10 series on their lot.

I haven't heard anything more from anyone that's either tried it or has data to refute it, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

humfrz 03-29-2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitchy313 (Post 3201449)
Hey guys, I’m looking to do a few interior upgrades on my interior, and i was just wondering if the oem seats can be used as heated seats? Or do you have to have the leather/alcantara option?

Hello Twitchy313.

First off, since you live in California, why on earth would you want heated seats?

Second off, you live in California, and since everything causes cancer down there, you are just asking for a dose of testicular or rectal/colon cancer - :eyebulge:

Third off, studies have shown that excess heat on a man's testicles, can cause infertility.

Fourth off, and less severe, is that a heated butt and gonads, can cause hemorrhoid irritation and sexual impedance.- :confused0068:

Fifth off, if you put seat heaters in non-heatable seats, anything to do with your warranty when it comes to electrical will not be honored.

Sixth off, if you do that, your insurance rates may go up or your policy be cancelled.

Seventh off, now just where are you going to get the power from without blowing a fuse or overloading a circuit ?? Maybe blowing the circuit that powers your electric power steering or power brakes - :iono:

Hey, but don't let me discourage you - just mod away - :happyanim:

humfrz