Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scratches and scrape (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144139)

alone1i 02-08-2021 05:45 AM

Scratches and scrape

Story: I bought my 86 exactly 1 year ago, it is black and in stock. It is my daily but I tried my best to keep it as close to a baby. I tried my far best to avoid, bad/bumpy roads and park far away from normal parking when I go to supermarket and mall.

Still thou there are 9+ deep scratches (can see white portion and I can feel with my nail) and 2 days ago I scrapped my car (underneath of front bumper) for the first time on a unknown crappy road.

Just wondering, how about you guys did with your one. Is it something normal and have to live with know that it will happen, or its me only and I am shit.

Teach me.

Ashikabi 02-08-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alone1i (Post 3405160)
Story: I bought my 86 exactly 1 year ago, it is black and in stock. It is my daily but I tried my best to keep it as close to a baby. I tried my far best to avoid, bad/bumpy roads and park far away from normal parking when I go to supermarket and mall.

Still thou there are 9+ deep scratches (can see white portion and I can feel with my nail) and 2 days ago I scrapped my car (underneath of front bumper) for the first time on a unknown crappy road.

Just wondering, how about you guys did with your one. Is it something normal and have to live with know that it will happen, or its me only and I am shit.

Teach me.

Talk to a detailer or body shop about the scratches visible on the car. Ignore the underside of the bumper. It'll get scraped again and you'll never see it anyways.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

alone1i 02-08-2021 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 3405164)
Talk to a detailer or body shop about the scratches visible on the car. Ignore the underside of the bumper. It'll get scraped again and you'll never see it anyways.

Thanks. I have a plan to check with a detailer but may not possible in recent time. I was wondering are you guys also have similar experience?

The Red One 02-08-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alone1i (Post 3405169)
Thanks. I have a plan to check with a detailer but may not possible in recent time. I was wondering are you guys also have similar experience?

Almost a 2 year owneship here. I find these cars have issues to small impacts, got to always be on alert. I don’t drive it in the winter. In those 2 years ive gotten a rock over the passenger door while passing a dump truck leaving a nice dent to the paint, passenger pillar also dented by a rock in my first month of ownership. Bouncing bolt in the middle of the hood leaving a story every few inches. My underbody just under driver’s seat has been impaled with an xtra long tent peg. The latest discovery in November was a 2 inch door dent on the rear panel just before the wheel :mad0260:.

On small scratches cheap car wax works for me. I need to really look for the dent now that the offending vehicle paint is removed. Get touch up paint & use it on the big chips.

Thankfully my incidents did not break windows or flatted a tire.

My thoughts to pass by a detailer or dent repair always end with a new blemish…

Best you can do would be to leave space between vehicles you follow, hunt down end spots in parking lots, back into parking spots will also save the low front end, get a beater vehicle when you think you will be driving in hostile areas….

I just Fix the big damage & live with the small stuff.

Ashikabi 02-08-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alone1i (Post 3405169)

With the car getting scratched? It happens. Of course most people try to avoid that but sometimes shit happens and you either gotta live with it, make it as good as you can, or pay someone to fix it. You'll have to decide if it's worth the money. As far as scraping the underside of the bumper. It happens alot. It's a low car. Lots of our cars are even lower. But you don't see it unless you're under the car. To me, that's not with trying to fix.

Tcoat 02-08-2021 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you drive a car it will get scratched, dinged and pitted. The more you drive it the more it will have.
Unfortunately black cars show scratches the worst of all!
The underside of the bumper on my lowered lava looked like it had been through a battle. The rest had all the scars you would expect at 100,000+ miles spent on the highway in all weather conditions.
Fix what you can and don't worry about the rest. Eventually you won't even notice them any more

Cheeky 02-08-2021 11:50 AM

Each scratch and ding is like a wound to the heart lol, but as long as there are no major obvious marks that you can see from far away, you get used to them like TCoat said.

Fix the ones that must be fixed, bottom bumper will be suspect to more scratching over time, so better to not fix it. Where as if you fixed it, a new scratch would hurt all the more.

You can do all you want to reduce the chance of scratches like parking at the back of supermarkets, but there will always be those random times when some dude just randomly parks beside you out of the many free spots closer to the store. Just a tip if you can't find open empty spots, you can park beside "expensive" cars like BMWs or mercs as they are likely to care about door dings like you do.

alone1i 02-08-2021 07:04 PM

Thank you all guys. Every single scratches are like soul crushing. Most of the scratches looks very prominent due to black car.

As you all suggested we have to accept it will happen over time no matter how careful I drive. I will try to use touch up pens to reduce some scratches. I wish I could find a pen that can reduce the pain in my heart too :-(

Ashikabi 02-08-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alone1i (Post 3405322)
Thank you all guys. Every single scratches are like soul crushing. Most of the scratches looks very prominent due to black car.

As you all suggested we have to accept it will happen over time no matter how careful I drive. I will try to use touch up pens to reduce some scratches. I wish I could find a pen that can reduce the pain in my heart too :-(

We've all been there

soundman98 02-08-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alone1i (Post 3405322)

talk to a detailer before going at the car with a touchup pen-- i've always caused more harm with touchup pens than a good detail.

more than likely, most of the scratches, no matter how deep, can at least be minimized to be much less noticeable with the right techniques.

have you made it through your life so far without a scratch, bruise, or broken bone? cars are no different. scratches, bumps, and bruises are a reminder that we exist, even if it means an existence in an imperfect world. be proud that you're using and enjoying your car enough that the scratches could happen. because if they're not happening, it means you're living in a bubble that is not reality.

alone1i 02-09-2021 12:02 AM

My car has ceramic coating (even thou it was from dealer but i know it was not done very well), so, can I use touch up pens on top of it?

I believe once there is a deep scratch, it already breaks coating in that area. Isn't it?

Ashikabi 02-09-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alone1i (Post 3405373)
My car has ceramic coating (even thou it was from dealer but i know it was not done very well), so, can I use touch up pens on top of it?

I believe once there is a deep scratch, it already breaks coating in that area. Isn't it?

Do not use touch up pens until you talk to a detailer and possibly a body shop. If the scratch just needs buffed out, a touch up pen will literally ruin your paint. It's surprising how much can actually get fixed with simple polishing.

scotto79 02-09-2021 03:28 PM

I was like that at first when I got my 2016 FRS. It was clean for about 3 months until my son dropped his bike on the side and dinged the fender. I was relieved because now it was not perfect, a lot less stress.

Grady 02-09-2021 05:52 PM

I put these on the front of my splitter, they work great! I recommend them to everyone with a low car now.

https://sliplo