Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oil leak after wheel bearing repair (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147575)

xyrodon 11-14-2021 09:38 AM

Oil leak after wheel bearing repair

Morning all,

I own a 2015 FRS with lots of mileage, over 200,000 km. My wheel bearing were very noisy so they were repaired at iGarage in Markham. Right after I got my car, it's been leaking oil like crazy. Any ideas or suggestion on the severity of this issue?

FLIPDADY 11-14-2021 09:42 AM

Have you taken it back to have them look at it?

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

soundman98 11-14-2021 11:28 AM

My childhood dog was put down after I graduated. Does that make it the schools fault for allowing me to graduate?

Petah78 11-14-2021 11:29 AM

Normally speaking, a wheel bearing repair/replacement should not have anything to do with oil leaks, not that i can think of anyways.

soundman98 11-14-2021 11:40 AM

But then, I've never had a 200k km vehicle that didn't leak something all the time.

Purist 11-14-2021 03:17 PM

We're not talking about a rear wheel bearing and a diff oil leak are we???

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ultramaroon 11-14-2021 03:33 PM

OP, are you saying it didn't leak at all when you took it in for the wheel bearing, and now it leaks like crazy? Like others have asked, from where is it leaking. If it's NOT the engine, then don't drive it back. Have it trailered because the transmission and diff don't have a convenient way to check oil level. If it's from the engine, then as long as you know there's oil on the dipstick, and it sounds normal, it's probably safe to drive a short distance.

xyrodon 11-14-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3481232)
OP, are you saying it didn't leak at all when you took it in for the wheel bearing, and now it leaks like crazy? Like others have asked, from where is it leaking. If it's NOT the engine, then don't drive it back. Have it trailered because the transmission and diff don't have a convenient way to check oil level. If it's from the engine, then as long as you know there's oil on the dipstick, and it sounds normal, it's probably safe to drive a short distance.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. It is from the engine. The guy I take it to is in Markham, I'm in Mississauga. I took it to him as many on this forum liked him. I am taking it to a dealership tomorrow in Milton, I know the manager very well there and it's closer to me.

For the record, I baby this FRS as it's my only car. Yes it is at 211,000 km but the only issues I had with it until now were noisy wheel bearing, which were just fixed. Other than that, it's the usual - brake, oil changes, spark plug change, etc. I always oil change it 1000 km before it's due and only put premium in it.

So after this guy at IGarage repaired it I am surprised to see a leak.

Ultramaroon 11-14-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrodon (Post 3481283)
So after this guy at IGarage repaired it I am surprised to see a leak.

Might sound like an odd question but is the oil pan rusty? Did someone maybe pick at the oil pan while it was on the lift? @villainous_frx, amirite?

villainous_frx 11-14-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3481306)
Might sound like an odd question but is the oil pan rusty? Did someone maybe pick at the oil pan while it was on the lift? @villainous_frx, amirite?

my elbows hurt just thinking about replacing an oil pan again.
https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/files...ts-smaller.jpg

PTSD to this summer...
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=51

Ultramaroon 11-14-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villainous_frx (Post 3481307)
my elbows hurt just thinking about replacing an oil pan again.

Just trying to think of a reason why it would suddenly leak oil "like crazy."

villainous_frx 11-14-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3481315)
Just trying to think of a reason why it would suddenly leak oil "like crazy."

Yep, I had a pin hole leak in the pan. I think the cause was when I jacked up the engine via the pan (as everyone suggests), the pan was already weak from corrosion and the block of wood I was using poked through at the edge/corner.

Other places for common oil leaks would be: cam covers, valve cover gaskets, timing cover, the rear block off plate thing, and easiest to check... the oil drain plug :slap:

soundman98 11-15-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villainous_frx (Post 3481325)
Yep, I had a pin hole leak in the pan. I think the cause was when I jacked up the engine via the pan (as everyone suggests), the pan was already weak from corrosion and the block of wood I was using poked through at the edge/corner.

Other places for common oil leaks would be: cam covers, valve cover gaskets, timing cover, the rear block off plate thing, and easiest to check... the oil drain plug :slap:

and zero of those things would be effected in any way by changing a wheel bearing.

villainous_frx 11-15-2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3481342)
and zero of those things would be effected in any way by changing a wheel bearing.

oh absolutely, but you know how those shops are... causing random oil leaks that only THEY could have done :bellyroll: