Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Freeway lines Toss around my FR-S (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41230)

CAMBAM_6 07-10-2013 06:05 PM

Freeway lines Toss around my FR-S

I didnt notice this until i started driving my car to work everyday but when im on the freeway the lines in the middle of the lanes kinda throw my car around (im pretty sure its the skinny tires) (for those of you san diego folks im talking about the I-15 north/south) any other reason why this would happen??? It just seems like my tires get stuck in the lines and when the lane starts to turn and the line takes a different course my car will be guided with the line and i have to do a lot of correcting to stay straight in the lane. (sorry if i sound retarted lol i dont know how else to explain it)

vinh 07-10-2013 06:09 PM

i've noticed it too. feels like i have a flat.

STV3 07-10-2013 06:10 PM

I also feel like my car moves around a lot at highway speeds. Like its a Windy day or something

Norkoastal 07-10-2013 06:11 PM

I get tramlining on grooved concrete freeways. The car kind of shuffles and feels way loose..

enwave 07-10-2013 06:12 PM

Isn't this normal? Happens on my Accord too, though not quite as much. Weight of the car has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

CAMBAM_6 07-10-2013 06:13 PM

Good Im not the only one..haha..i hope when i get new wheels and tires this problem is corrected bcuz its annoying and i have to admit tiresome especially afterwork

CAMBAM_6 07-10-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norkoastal (Post 1059307)
I get tramlining on grooved concrete freeways. The car kind of shuffles and feels way loose..

You said it way better then me haha..I get it pretty bad on certain parts of the freeway to where i think i look like i cant even drive my car straight..suprised i havent been pulled over for DUI..lol

whaap 07-10-2013 06:17 PM

Air pressure could also be a contributing factor.

CAMBAM_6 07-10-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enwave (Post 1059310)
Isn't this normal? Happens on my Accord too, though not quite as much. Weight of the car has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

well ive owned plenty of eg's hatchbacks and some with the small vx/hx wheels and never had that problem, ofcourse they were always slammed/lowered so maybe they had more grip

bear89103 07-10-2013 06:29 PM

I've noticed it happen too when I had my michellin's. Now that I've switched to the Yoshihara Designs D-12c wheels with 245/40r18 sumitomo's on them, I definitely feel more in control of the freeway lines rather than the freeway lines being in control of me.

ntron1 07-10-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 (Post 1059291)
I didnt notice this until i started driving my car to work everyday but when im on the freeway the lines in the middle of the lanes kinda throw my car around (im pretty sure its the skinny tires) (for those of you san diego folks im talking about the I-15 north/south) any other reason why this would happen??? It just seems like my tires get stuck in the lines and when the lane starts to turn and the line takes a different course my car will be guided with the line and i have to do a lot of correcting to stay straight in the lane. (sorry if i sound retarted lol i dont know how else to explain it)

More Throttle.....

FRSBRZGT86FAN 07-10-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 (Post 1059291)

Its the light weight combined with the skinny tire profile of the car, some heavier cars do it as well like my 2007 Honda CR-V, once you get wider rims and way better tires and the contact patch increases then you won't have the issue anymore.

Carrozzeria 07-10-2013 06:46 PM

I get that in certain areas on i-5 up here in Washington where the road is more worn then others, which I'm sure in your area it is all pretty much worn down haha, no matter what car I'm driving it seems to do it in the same areas. So basically my point is yes it is normal and tire grip and height/weight could be the reason you haven't noticed before :)

CAMBAM_6 07-10-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear89103 (Post 1059354)
I've noticed it happen too when I had my michellin's. Now that I've switched to the Yoshihara Designs D-12c wheels with 245/40r18 sumitomo's on them, I definitely feel more in control of the freeway lines rather than the freeway lines being in control of me.

Im glad new wheels fixed the problem :w00t: