Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94580)

juliog 09-09-2015 04:45 PM

How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE

Billy Johnson tells us how to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE on MotoIQ.com:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx

Quote:

Wheels are an expensive investment that will affect the handling, performance, and yes, looks of your car; so it’s important to do your homework before dropping a lot of cash down. This may sound backwards but since the tire is the most important part of your car, your wheel choice should be dictated by the tires you want to run.
Quote:

This is the opposite from what almost everyone does. Most people buy bigger wheels based on looks and offsets and then the tire tends to be a compromised afterthought to fit those wheels in the remaining room that’s available.
Quote:

For a daily driver where maximizing outright grip or tire volume may not be the top priority, choosing the widest tire possible may not be necessary at any expense of steering feel, fuel economy, and price. Remember the top tip?: "A narrower high quality tire will often outperform a cheap wider tire".

Locust 09-09-2015 05:17 PM

18x12" wheels with 215/40R18 tires.

#stancenation

/thread

why? 09-09-2015 06:21 PM

good stuff and so true. Tires are the only part of a car that touch the road, so a cheap bad tire can easily wreck everything, or a tire simply not meant for the conditions.

As an example, when I was living in florida I bought a set of tires for my yaris. They were phenomenal for dry handling and I loved them. But when I moved back to the boston area, the first winter I was able to get my car stuck in 3" of slush because my all season tires simply were never meant to be driven in snow. Or even better, I managed to almost do a 360 and smash into a few trees when driving off an exit ramp onto a road with a bump in between when I was only doing 20 mph. Really scary staring out the windshield right into a forest while penduleming back and forth almost a full 180° several times. I enjoyed it but I am sure the drivers around me were totally freaked out.

TrqlessWonder 09-09-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliog (Post 2384899)
Billy Johnson tells us how to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE on MotoIQ.com:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx

Quote:

A narrower high quality tire will often outperform a cheap wider tire
I think the bolded are the relevant parts of that claim, if we want to speak in absolutes. Which should almost never be done.

#245ona7
#stuffedonthere

:D

Mr.ac 09-09-2015 09:27 PM

So all that, what he just wanted to say to buy good quality tires. Regardless of how narrow or wide they are.

So a high quality wide tire would out preform a narrow high quality tire?

I seen way too many stance nation guys have blow outs on the freeway/autox. Replacing extreme uneven wear on expensive sticky tires, just to achieve a look. But it's their car, their money. I'll just point and laugh, and use that money spent on tires for a track day or what ever.

chaoskaze 09-09-2015 10:04 PM

I really think our car should have some with a staggered setup like 215 front 235 rear. Instead of drift all you want 215 square.

Anyone running something similar? 😁

redlined600 09-10-2015 12:57 AM

This should be in the general tire section. Once you start racing, tire and wheel selection is almost entirely dependant on the ruleset.

CSG Mike 09-10-2015 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoskaze (Post 2385258)
I really think our car should have some with a staggered setup like 215 front 235 rear. Instead of drift all you want 215 square.

Perhaps you should balance that rear ;)

DarkSunrise 09-10-2015 06:41 AM

Quote:

Nooo I love that you can easily rotate the tires on this platform.

strat61caster 09-10-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

I can't imagine how bad the understeer would be if that was the only change off the showroom floor on my car. I probably wouldn't have bothered modifying it and just sold it for something else...

OkieSnuffBox 09-10-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Anyone running something similar? ��

There is absolutely no reason to run a staggered setup on this car beyond aethestics.

Seriously.

Locust 09-10-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox (Post 2385807)
There is absolutely no reason to run a staggered setup on this car beyond aethestics.

Seriously.

Well if you made it a drag car...

chaoskaze 09-10-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2385727)
I can't imagine how bad the understeer would be if that was the only change off the showroom floor on my car. I probably wouldn't have bothered modifying it and just sold it for something else...

Come on guys so much negativity. It's not gonna understeer in that setup. 😂 it will just be more track oriented.

strat61caster 09-10-2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoskaze (Post 2385891)
Come on guys so much negativity. It's not gonna understeer in that setup. 😂 it will just be more track oriented.

:iono:

I just really didn't like how my car handled stock until I got camber plates, staggered setup would have made it noticeably worse, especially for the track.

sorry I don't have much of a sense of humor about it

:cheers:

*Shit 86 Owners Say
"Staggered wheels because S2000"