Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Oregon visitor. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29325)

Chen 02-19-2013 05:31 AM

Oregon visitor.

So I've been to California a couple times this month for work and junk. But this time I'm going to be driving. My main concern, when I visited I was in Southern California, and drivers there were well... A lot more aggressive than I'm used too. Also, the traffic sucked. I couldn't imagine driving a stick in those conditions. My question is. What's Northern California like? Are drivers less aggressive this direction? How's the traffic? Just trying to gather the info before I decided wether or not to take the 86 down south.

MyRx 02-19-2013 09:55 AM

Where will you be in NorCal? We have traffic here too. But we have less freeways and people as well. Spend a weekday driving the backroads - no traffic. Spend a weekend driving the backroads - watch out for bikers.

Bring the 86 down :)

strat61caster 02-19-2013 11:37 AM

Driving in LA I noticed that many people treat the gas pedal as an On/Off switch, punching it the second there is a gap giving no quarter to fellow drivers. If you're part of that flow you'll be ok, it just takes a couple hours to get used to.

Born and raised Nor Cal, for the most part heavy traffic is less aggressive and less stressful than LA (you get the standout assholes i.e. driving up the shoulder instead of merging properly but I'm sure that's everywhere). Get used to most people going 5-10 mph over the speed limit when they can and people sitting in the left lane without passing anyone. Other than that it really depends on where you go, heavy metropolis or central valley somewhere.

BlaineWasHere 02-19-2013 12:15 PM

I drive my 6MT everyday into this so called "aggressive traffic." I already have 21K miles commuting in the Bay Area.

Just man up and do it. We do everyday. Plus it's just a Scion FR-S, not a 458 Italia, what are you so worried about?

BigFatFlip 02-19-2013 12:20 PM

Really depends where in NorCal you'll be (still a very large area). If you're gonna be close to say, SF bay area, then you can expect the usual traffic during the peak hrs. From experience (I've driven in LA/San Diego area numerous times), drivers are a lot more laid back and tend to cruise a certain speed in the freeways, 5-10 mph faster than the posted speed limit if they can. Not as much "aggressive driving" as in cutting you off to get their way, etc. Still expect slow cars in the passing lane and passing in the right lanes, the periodic tail gating assh0le and inattentive driver.

dun3 02-19-2013 12:37 PM

traffic in the Bay Area is Heaven compared to SoCal. Aggressive drivers? Not so much as opposed to SoCal imo.

BlaineWasHere 02-19-2013 01:17 PM

I'm not from around here and drivers in the Bay Area are sooooo bad sometimes I think you don't actually have to pass any tests to get a drivers license in this state. And most drivers suck. I'd say only about 6 of every 10 drivers here is actually road worthy. I get where the OP is coming from, I used to live in the boonies.

I think it's actually a USA problem. We let people keep taking the test until they pass. I think if you fail more than once you should have to take the whole course over again from the start like you're 15. If you look at how some other 1st world countries license drivers and we're pretty weak. Most people think driving is a right, well sorry it's a privilege for those who can handle it.

Chen 02-19-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyRx (Post 743969)
Where will you be in NorCal? We have traffic here too. But we have less freeways and people as well. Spend a weekday driving the backroads - no traffic. Spend a weekend driving the backroads - watch out for bikers.

Bring the 86 down :)

Going to Oakland/Bay area. Not sure exactly. I'll be getting more details later this week. I agree w/ taking back roads. But not knowing the area. I'm not to sure how comfortable I would be doing that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 744172)
Driving in LA I noticed that many people treat the gas pedal as an On/Off switch, punching it the second there is a gap giving no quarter to fellow drivers. If you're part of that flow you'll be ok, it just takes a couple hours to get used to.

Born and raised Nor Cal, for the most part heavy traffic is less aggressive and less stressful than LA (you get the standout assholes i.e. driving up the shoulder instead of merging properly but I'm sure that's everywhere). Get used to most people going 5-10 mph over the speed limit when they can and people sitting in the left lane without passing anyone. Other than that it really depends on where you go, heavy metropolis or central valley somewhere.

Ha. In southern California. I felt I was I was going to get rear ended or rear end somebody else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere (Post 744273)
I drive my 6MT everyday into this so called "aggressive traffic." I already have 21K miles commuting in the Bay Area.

Just man up and do it. We do everyday. Plus it's just a Scion FR-S, not a 458 Italia, what are you so worried about?

Lol, driving in Oregon is way different than driving in California in my experience. Ha. Idk about you but I don't have money to buy another 86. and it being my only car. I wouldn't want to be without a car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatFlip (Post 744285)
Really depends where in NorCal you'll be (still a very large area). If you're gonna be close to say, SF bay area, then you can expect the usual traffic during the peak hrs. From experience (I've driven in LA/San Diego area numerous times), drivers are a lot more laid back and tend to cruise a certain speed in the freeways, 5-10 mph faster than the posted speed limit if they can. Not as much "aggressive driving" as in cutting you off to get their way, etc. Still expect slow cars in the passing lane and passing in the right lanes, the periodic tail gating assh0le and inattentive driver.

noted. so far it seems like it's a little easier going than socal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dun3 (Post 744331)
traffic in the Bay Area is Heaven compared to SoCal. Aggressive drivers? Not so much as opposed to SoCal imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere (Post 744413)
I'm not from around here and drivers in the Bay Area are sooooo bad sometimes I think you don't actually have to pass any tests to get a drivers license in this state. And most drivers suck. I'd say only about 6 of every 10 drivers here is actually road worthy. I get where the OP is coming from, I used to live in the boonies.

I think it's actually a USA problem. We let people keep taking the test until they pass. I think if you fail more than once you should have to take the whole course over again from the start like you're 15. If you look at how some other 1st world countries license drivers and we're pretty weak. Most people think driving is a right, well sorry it's a privilege for those who can handle it.

Nicely said and I agree 100%

BlaineWasHere 02-19-2013 04:13 PM

Most of us live in the Bay Area. It's not nearly as bad as SoCal as long as you don't travel during peak hours.

I don't worry about someone hitting me, that's why my car is insured. FR-S is my only car as well.

Chen 02-19-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere (Post 744818)
Most of us live in the Bay Area. It's not nearly as bad as SoCal as long as you don't travel during peak hours.

I don't worry about someone hitting me, that's why my car is insured. FR-S is my only car as well.

Noted. Maybe when I come down I can meet up w/ some of the local owners.

BlaineWasHere 02-19-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chen (Post 744919)

Yeah for sure! There are more 86 cars in NorCal and SoCal than any other geographical area in North America so there are quite a few of us.

BigFatFlip 02-19-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chen (Post 744919)

Let us know! Seems like the NorCal folks would take any excuse to meet up, lol

driftartist 02-19-2013 05:54 PM

did somebody say meet?! lemme know

Chen 02-19-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere (Post 744947)
Yeah for sure! There are more 86 cars in NorCal and SoCal than any other geographical area in North America so there are quite a few of us.

I'll keep you guys posted for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatFlip (Post 745054)
Let us know! Seems like the NorCal folks would take any excuse to meet up, lol

Haha makes me wish some of the Oregon folks would like to meet up.

speaking of which. The NW folks are planning a camping trip. IDK if you guys would be interested in joining in on that.