Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   TRD Sports Gauges (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46488)

Tech 09-11-2013 04:59 AM

TRD Sports Gauges

6 Attachment(s)
If you have ever bought any TRD gear, you will know that they always come with instructions in Japanese. Well that's fine... if you are Japanese of course.

Fortunately, there are usually enough pictures included to get the job done, which is what I used when I recently fitted a set of TRD gauges.

Water Temp
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp

Contained in the Japanese text was the instructions of how to use the gauges. By that I mean there is a button under each gauge which puts them into different modes. The post will help you with the following.

a) Which wires to connect to.
b) How to display the different modes and clear the memory.
c) General pictures of the installation.

These gauges fit in place of the stock audio head unit. Since this car is mostly going to be used on track, I don't care that it has no audio. The stock head unit is a pile of crap anyway!

I will assume that you have mounted the gauges onto the face plates and run the wiring to the right places in the engine bay. The oil pressure and oil temp wires should end up near the oil filter and the water temp near the top radiator hose. The pictures included in the Jap instructions are clear enough to easily achieve this.

You also need to fit the adaptor plate under the oil filter to take the oil pressure and temperature sensors. Then cut the top radiator hose and fit the water sensor adaptor.

4 wires are used to power the gauges and I connected them as follows.

GAUGE WIRES > 86 WIRING LOOM
---------------- --------------------
RED > ORANGE (+12V)
ORANGE > RED (ACC+)
YELLOW > PURPLE (ILLUMINATION)
BLACK > BLACK/BLUE (GND)

Assuming it is all installed correctly and there are no leaks, you can access the meter modes in the following way.

Each meter has it's own button. The gauges in NORMAL mode continuously monitor the condition they were designed for. If you press a button breifly, it will display the peak value the meter has reached at any point in time. The meter will return to nomal mode after 5 seconds. However, if while in PEAK mode, you press and hold for 3 seconds it will reset the peak value to zero.

While in normal mode, if you press and hold the button for 3 seconds it will display the warning level it is set to. This can be adjusted in increments by further pressing the button.

After 5 seconds of no activity, the setting will be saved and the gauge will return to normal mode.

If there is anything you specific you want to know, ask and I will do my best to answer.

GT86drifter 09-11-2013 09:12 AM

good stuff!

frs10 09-11-2013 09:45 AM

TRD everything!!

R3d 09-11-2013 09:48 AM

what do you do for a radio now ?

Eurasianman 09-11-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3d (Post 1204251)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 1204037)
Since this car is mostly going to be used on track, I don't care that it has no audio.

Re-read ;)

kanundrum 09-11-2013 10:57 AM

I was looking into this but then saw pricing lol.

DmkMedia 09-11-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3d (Post 1204251)

I was about to say the same thing LOL

kanundrum 09-11-2013 11:05 AM

If the Harness was long enough I am sure you can reroute the radio to the Blank Panel or the glove box

Tech 09-11-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frs10 (Post 1204244)
TRD everything!!

Yes, this is a TRD86 model which you can buy in New Zealand. Not sure if they are available in all countries though. I am just adding on or two things that make it more track orientated.

Tech 09-11-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanundrum (Post 1204425)
If the Harness was long enough I am sure you can reroute the radio to the Blank Panel or the glove box

Or just buy an ipod...

Pvt AJ 01-30-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 1204037)
If there is anything you specific you want to know, ask and I will do my best to answer.

How much s there much give in the wires to the gauge? id like to reach the A-pillar on the right hand side of the car (when sitting inside), would this be possible without further modification?

Pvt AJ 01-31-2014 12:09 AM

Also whast size are the gauges? 60mm or 52mm diameter

Tech 02-24-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pvt AJ (Post 1493323)
Also whast size are the gauges? 60mm or 52mm diameter

Sorry for the late reply. I hardly ever check this forum anymore.

The gauges are 60mm and the supplied wiring from the sensors is very generous. I had to bundle it up with a cable tie. Can't say I tried getting it the the pillar, but I think there should be enough yes.

Individual gauge mounts also come with the kit, so you don't have to use the centre plate like I have. Therefore you could mount the 3 gauges on top of the dash where you want them and leave your stereo in place.

Stealth Gt86 03-30-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 1554155)
Sorry for the late reply. I hardly ever check this forum anymore.

The gauges are 60mm and the supplied wiring from the sensors is very generous. I had to bundle it up with a cable tie. Can't say I tried getting it the the pillar, but I think there should be enough yes.

Individual gauge mounts also come with the kit, so you don't have to use the centre plate like I have. Therefore you could mount the 3 gauges on top of the dash where you want them and leave your stereo in place.

did you make the mounting plate? I was wanting to do the same thing