Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3059)

lunchbox 12-28-2011 02:10 PM

Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk

So since there is no forum for exterior stuff on the fr-s i guess ill post this here. Im probably gonna go with a white fr-s with carbon hood and hatch hopefully supercharged. Gonna turn it in some car shows and see what happens. Just wondering what people think about the carbon trend. How much weight is saved? Etc

bambbrose 12-28-2011 02:12 PM

Hood and hatch are both aluminum from the factory.

Most carbon replacements will weigh more, unless they are extremely high quality dry units without fiber structures, etc.

Syldrin 12-28-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambbrose (Post 105121)

Most carbon replacements will weigh more, unless they are extremely high quality dry units without fiber structures, etc.

+1

JDLM 12-28-2011 02:30 PM

Plus "true" c/f parts w/o the aid of fiberglass backing are not cheap

Levi 12-28-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambbrose (Post 105121)

WTF? Why then does the STI have CF hood? Are you saying CF hood weighs more than aluminuim hood?

I am not intersted in CF parts for looks, but for function. If I put some, and I plan to, I'll paint the in body color. For me however the most important part is CF roof. Trunk and hood are already light enough, and then for even better weight distribution, I'd put a CF hood and remove the battery back.

blur 12-28-2011 02:42 PM

C/F is mostly for show

/thread

I will admit though if we get a c/f intake I would definitely :drool: :D

Maybe J's racing will make one?

fatoni 12-28-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 105133)
WTF? Why then does the STI have CF hood? Are you saying CF hood weighs more than aluminuim hood?

I am not intersted in CF parts for looks, but for function. If I put some, and I plan to, I'll paint the in body color. For me however the most important part is CF roof. Trunk and hood are already light enough, and then for even better weight distribution, I'd put a CF hood and remove the battery back.

most of the people here have a budget not congruent with that of carbon fiber parts or else they would be looking elsewhere. you can buy carbon parts that are cheaper, but those will be just as heavy if not heavier than the stock parts.

what do you mean carbon fiber roof exactly?

bambbrose 12-28-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

90% of aftermarket CF hoods weigh more than a properly design OEM aluminum unit.

There are exceptions of course. A well designed OEM CF unit, or a dry carbon race hood without the inner structure, etc. is going to be lighter than the aluminum unit, but at what cost? $1000+ for a quality piece, and you save 2 to 5 lbs??

Syldrin 12-28-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

a good example too is the evo it's OEM aluminum hood is leighter than the CF hoods.

ichitaka05 12-28-2011 03:15 PM

I think most members sum it up.

Cheap aftermarket CF part is heavier than OEM aluminum part.

If I could get a hands on OEM aluminum hood for my Impreza (GC) I would totally sell my CF hood. Cuz it's lighter

Same goes w my friends aluminum roof for his S2k. OEM roof weight lighter than some of aftermarket CF roof

bambbrose 12-28-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfawishes (Post 105151)
I love how before people were saying the CF package is going to save you 600lbs, like serious crack and heroin smoking going on.

I know I remember reading that in a thread and thinking WTH are these guys smoking.

Maybe a CF chassis would save a few hundred lol.

S2kphile 12-28-2011 03:54 PM

IMO, cf is played out especially if its unpainted. The only CF parts i would pick up would cost an arm & leg. Example Dry Carbon hood & trunk for a S2000 cost $5000+ each and thats Amuse quality.

lunchbox 12-28-2011 04:13 PM

Yea i like the contrast with the white and people think u did something so omgzorz amazing at shows and so forth. Im gonna do it because ill place higher because of "the look" the judges love. Pocket a few hundred bux and be on my way.