Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements / Questions / Issues (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Scammer/Bot Situation is Escalating (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152613)

Tcoat 02-22-2023 08:23 AM

The Scammer/Bot Situation is Escalating

The situation with scammer/bots is reaching a boiling point where any and all messages now have to be viewed with a strong element of doubt.
Yesterday there were 6 obvious scammer/bot "members" that joined. They then spent several hours looking at the members lists. Today there are suddenly several older member profiles that are all PMing at this moment. It is not normal and I suspect that these are all hijacked accounts. There are also 5 new "members" all Ronaldsomething that are now viewing the members lists so the process is repeating.
The spam bots are one thing but this new threat is going to cost people money and potentially make this forum a wasteland of distrust! At this moment there are more spammer/bot accounts online than real people.
@Hachiroku @ichitaka05 @Administrator if you care at all anymore you need to do something!

FR-S2GT86 02-22-2023 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3569648)
The situation with scammer/bots is reaching a boiling point where any and all messages now have to be viewed with a strong element of doubt.
Yesterday there were 6 obvious scammer/bot "members" that joined. They then spent several hours looking at the members lists. Today there are suddenly several older member profiles that are all PMing at this moment. It is not normal and I suspect that these are all hijacked accounts. There are also 5 new "members" all Ronaldsomething that are now viewing the members lists so the process is repeating.
The spam bots are one thing but this new threat is going to cost people money and potentially make this forum a wasteland of distrust! At this moment there are more spammer/bot accounts online than real people.
@Hachiroku @ichitaka05 @Administrator if you care at all anymore you need to do something!

How do we know that YOU'RE not a spambot that has taken over Tcoat's account?

Tcoat 02-22-2023 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3569655)
How do we know that YOU'RE not a spambot that has taken over Tcoat's account?

How do you know I wasn't ALWAYS one?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SimilarSho...gu-max-1mb.gif

FR-S2GT86 02-22-2023 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 218729

Ultramaroon 02-22-2023 12:04 PM

$$$all$traffic$is$good$traffic$$$

Tcoat 02-22-2023 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3569667)
$$$all$traffic$is$good$traffic$$$

I don't expect changes but I feel better for mentioning it. It is getting brutal and this is exactly how I have seen other forums die in the past.

Tcoat 02-22-2023 02:25 PM

Yep there we go. Bunch of members that haven't logged on in years are now suddenly sending PMs out left an right. Today's crop of Body Snatchers are at work.

https://media.tenor.com/3AUnMaJkylkA...erland-pod.gif

ichitaka05 02-22-2023 02:47 PM

Yeah… recently bots have been a bit annoying. Thanks to you & other members reporting all these bots. I hope Hachi got something to fight back these bots

Tcoat 02-22-2023 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 3569693)
Yeah… recently bots have been a bit annoying. Thanks to you & other members reporting all these bots. I hope Hachi got something to fight back these bots

The ones that are posting are annoying. The ones using old profiles to attempt to scam people are dangerous!

weederr33 02-22-2023 03:31 PM

Bots and spam are why I prefer to sell parts on here vs Facebook marketplace. I posted my parts recently here and on marketplace and it's constant 'is this still available' and then ghosting or it's someone saying they want it but that they will send their wife/cousin/brother/other on FB. Shit, I'm even weary to sell things on here if they don't have a very high post count (sorry lurkers). It's one thing if they post in a thread with an obvious sign, but if they lead you on enough to steal your money or item, that's when it's bad.

Tcoat 02-22-2023 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3569702)
Bots and spam are why I prefer to sell parts on here vs Facebook marketplace. I posted my parts recently here and on marketplace and it's constant 'is this still available' and then ghosting or it's someone saying they want it but that they will send their wife/cousin/brother/other on FB. Shit, I'm even weary to sell things on here if they don't have a very high post count (sorry lurkers). It's one thing if they post in a thread with an obvious sign, but if they lead you on enough to steal your money or item, that's when it's bad.

That's the thing with this new invasion. Post count doesn't mean a thing anymore. Since they are stealing profiles you could get somebody that has been gone for years but has a couple of thousand posts so they look fine. More important now to watch for when they last posted. Even that can be deceiving though.

weederr33 02-22-2023 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3569707)
That's the thing with this new invasion. Post count doesn't mean a thing anymore. Since they are stealing profiles you could get somebody that has been gone for years but has a couple of thousand posts so they look fine. More important now to watch for when they last posted. Even that can be deceiving though.

How are they stealing people's profiles?

Tcoat 02-22-2023 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3569709)
How are they stealing people's profiles?

Don't know but here is one active right this minute. It is at least #10 today alone.
Do you really think somebody that last posted in 2015 is now PMing people?

Tcoat 02-22-2023 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is where people are going to get screwed. Right this minute there are 14 old accounts PMing.
This one would easily deceive people. Even has a good trader rating and 1,000 posts.