Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Random Thoughts - Part Deux [NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101882)

finch1750 02-28-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2563195)
Anybody watching the Oscars?

I am now that the sharks game is over. But I'm also leavig to pick up my GF now so not really I guess

soulreapersteve 02-28-2016 10:17 PM

Dog died when I was away at the 86 meet today. He was fine when I left 5 hours ago.

:sigh:

Ultramaroon 02-28-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulreapersteve (Post 2563210)
Dog died when I was away at the 86 meet today. He was fine when I left 5 hours ago.

No! I'm really sorry. That's just awful.

jawn 02-28-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

:(

finch1750 02-28-2016 11:51 PM

Quote:

jesus...so sorry to hear

babydriver 02-29-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rice_classic (Post 2562867)
Random thought.

Before mankind civilized, when we were still hunter/gatherers, there was no human use for horses, humans had no idea the value a horse was to them, yet. The horse population was tiny. Then mankind learned how control their food supply about 10,000 years ago as the neolithic era began and suddenly mankind had a use for horses, a big use. For thousands of years horses were a lot of things but primarily function of transportation.

Not to complain too much about a very thought provoking essay, but it should be pointed out that horses were not used by any Neolithic cultures at all. They were domesticated during the early Bronze Age, around 3500 BCE and probably with that occurring in the central Asian steppes north of the Caucasus mountains, especially within the Botai culture. In fact, horses were not used for plowing, etc., until the invention of the horse collar (5th c. CE). Also, and to me this is an important distinction, horses were domesticated by humans and not the other way around. These and more recent industrial inventions have been made by humans to benefit humans.

In a sense, your argument could be viewed as a repetition of the Luddite fear of the industrial revolution, with robots substituting for steam engines. To me, a much bigger and more real concern is whether or not humanity has the collective will and wisdom to correct man-made climate change before it gets completely out of control. That is what keeps me up at night...

:respekt:

dvasqu01 02-29-2016 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydriver (Post 2563293)
Not to complain too much about a very thought provoking essay, but it should be pointed out that horses were not used by any Neolithic cultures at all. They were domesticated during the early Bronze Age, around 3500 BCE and probably with that occurring in the central Asian steppes north of the Caucasus mountains, especially within the Botai culture. In fact, horses were not used for plowing, etc., until the invention of the horse collar (5th c. CE). Also, and to me this is an important distinction, horses were domesticated by humans and not the other way around. These and more recent industrial inventions have been made by humans to benefit humans.

In a sense, your argument could be viewed as a repetition of the Luddite fear of the industrial revolution, with robots substituting for steam engines. To me, a much bigger and more real concern is whether or not humanity has the collective will and wisdom to correct man-made climate change before it gets completely out of control. That is what keeps me up at night...

:respekt:

Wikipedia

Yes I'll give you the rice noodle😘

echo419 02-29-2016 07:14 AM

is tcoat going to live on a farm like my doggy did?

go_a_way1 02-29-2016 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just another day in Alberta

Attachment 132203

echo419 02-29-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

OMFG! I did not see this when I made my post. so sorry!

HunterGreene 02-29-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rice_classic (Post 2562867)
Random thought.
Today we're horses in high demand, tomorrow we won't be.
So that's my random thought today.

Couple of logical missteps. Horses are not intelligent creatures (as far as having the ability to reason, fabricate and work with their own tools). What do horses do when they aren't working? Eat, sleep, run around, screw other horses. What do humans do? We find ways to make ourselves happy, we have ambition, yes, we eat, sleep, run around and screw other humans, but we also endeavor to make our lives better, plus we invent and manipulate our environment.

I would say, more likely, as humans are needed less to do more of the mundane jobs, you see people following their natural desires. Imagine what you would do with your time if you didn't actually have to do mundane work. Being able to follow that hobby on a full-time basis. Exploring new places. Expanding your understanding of the world and universe around you.

We differ, fundamentally, from horses in that the horse looks at a mountain and just accept it as it is. We look at a mountain and wonder "Hey, whats at the top? Lets go find out." Humans will always find uses for themselves.

babydriver 02-29-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvasqu01 (Post 2563329)
Wikipedia

What?

MisterSheep 02-29-2016 10:59 AM

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/image...ies/coffee.gif

go_a_way1 02-29-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSheep (Post 2563483)

^ How I feel today lol!

how was everyone's weekend?