Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Removing The Resonator (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54019)

Nicolas0esp1 12-21-2013 01:23 AM

Removing The Resonator

So someone told me to remove the intake resonator because it will make my car sound better and also be less restrictive... Is it bad for the car? I herd i could also lose HP? I wanna do it but IDK how and what so if someone could tell me what to do that would be most appreciated

humfrz 12-21-2013 03:11 AM

Well, Nicolas0esp1, the way I figure it is, that if by removing it, had benefits ..... why did the manufacturer put it there in the first place .. ??

humfrz

diss7 12-21-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 1404122)
Well, Nicolas0esp1, the way I figure it is, that if by removing it, had benefits ..... why did the manufacturer put it there in the first place .. ??

humfrz

Because the manufacturer has to worry about so many things, things that we might disagree with.

They have to worry about noise pollution. From the exhaust and intake.

350matt 12-21-2013 04:38 AM

the large resonator on the airbox is very likely going to give a positive effect

however the only way to find out is to do a proper test on some rollers with an optimised tune for both runs
as we've seen that the MAF meter is very sensitive to anything in front and after it and as the car runs too rich to begin with quite often a go faster intake is merely leaning things out

post your result up here so we can all have a look

Kodename47 12-21-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350matt (Post 1404178)
the large resonator on the airbox is very likely going to give a positive effect

however the only way to find out is to do a proper test on some rollers with an optimised tune for both runs
as we've seen that the MAF meter is very sensitive to anything in front and after it and as the car runs too rich to begin with quite often a go faster intake is merely leaning things out

post your result up here so we can all have a look

I did it ages ago and posted my findings. The MAF gets very noisy at low RPM without it and made the engine go lean. It felt worse so I put it back on.

tennisfreak 12-21-2013 09:17 AM

Well if its any consolation the TRD intake removes the resonator and sound tube completely.

If Toyotas own products remove it then it should not be of too much importance.

The resonator and sound tube seem to be ways to make sound and direct it to the cabin for a cool "effect".

EvilBeaverFace 12-21-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfreak (Post 1404297)
Well if its any consolation the TRD intake removes the resonator and sound tube completely.

The resonator and sound tube seem to be ways to make sound and direct it to the cabin for a cool "effect".

but the TRD also moves the MAF position...

Rayme 12-21-2013 05:33 PM

They're usually used to reduce noise, especially the lower frequencies. I'd remove them knowing nothing bad would happen but you never know with the newer cars, it would be interesting to do some quick data logging of the MAF readout before/after. It's probably not alot.

Kodename47 12-21-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayme (Post 1404928)
They're usually used to reduce noise, especially the lower frequencies. I'd remove them knowing nothing bad would happen but you never know with the newer cars, it would be interesting to do some quick data logging of the MAF readout before/after. It's probably not alot.

My findings

Fett4Real 12-21-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfreak (Post 1404297)

Anf the TRD intake is LARGER, the resonator is still internal space removing it changes the intake tracks length which isnt a great idea....bet the TRD intake is the same internal volume as the stock intake system or damn close

DrDuquette 12-21-2013 08:35 PM

In putting the Perrin tube from the airbox to the intake I removed all the noise generator and I guess the resonators you are talking about. Ask Perrin!! My car is quiter inside thanks to generator being removed.

Fett4Real 12-21-2013 08:39 PM

the resonator doesnt help make sound if anything it muffles it

Nicolas0esp1 01-22-2014 02:52 PM

Tryin to watching this in my car... My subs toooo good lol but i cant hear it that we'll idk if it's my speakers or the mic pos.