Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Open Catch Can system: Anyone have done it? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56396)

trueno86power 01-22-2014 08:57 PM

Open Catch Can system: Anyone have done it?

Yeah, It's an other catch can thread.

I'm wondering if anyone installed a catch can in a "open" type installation.

What I mean by "open"? To completely isolate the engine from oil vapor.

The reason why I want that, I'm a car mecanic and I've removed shit load of intake manifold (If your asking, no not a Toyota dealership) and they are always reallllllyy oilly. I really don't want that crap to goes into my engine...

How to plug an open system?

- Remove the PCV, replace it by a freeflow fitting. (The goal of a PCV is to open when vaccum is applied. In a open system, the PCV would stay closed... no need for that!)
- Plug a tube in the freeflow fitting and bring it to your catch can.
- Block the port on the Intake Manifold
- Leave the 2nd port of the catch can open (or you could run a hose far away from the firewall to prevent oil odors).
- Remove the breather tube and block the port on the engine and on the intake tube.(You don't need a breather this way, since now the oil vapor system is positive. The positive pressure of the engine will go out by it's own by the open port on the catch can, most of the oil will be back in the engine pan by the tube and some will be stuck in the catch can)

Older cars where build this way, since emission was not a problem...

This way, no oil vapor at all will be burned.

It's not done on my car yet, but I want to know if someone have done it and IF it have some side effect...

I've heard some statement of this kind of setup... like "idle will be instable" and "your engine will run lean"... I've never done it. On the drawing board, it works...

So, anyone?

grostoine 01-22-2014 09:10 PM

In for more info!

kuhlka 01-22-2014 09:15 PM

I added the basic Cusco can. It goes between the intake and breather. I know others have done fancy setups for their superchargers which involve four hoses and they have caught a LOT of oil. Mine is still empty and shows no oil in the hoses, but I haven't done any SCCA events since installing it.

FrsDuke 01-22-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuhlka (Post 1472431)
I added the basic Cusco can. It goes between the intake and breather. I know others have done fancy setups for their superchargers which involve four hoses and they have caught a LOT of oil. Mine is still empty and shows no oil in the hoses, but I haven't done any SCCA events since installing it.

That is because you aren't hooked to the PCV valve so you are missing the lion's share of the crap you're trying to catch. By comparison the bit you are running your can on is miniscule.

utekineir 01-22-2014 09:42 PM

so, a vta can?

did it once, not worth the smell and mess (oily residue over time) in the bay, not doing it again,

protpibe 01-22-2014 09:43 PM

Just get a proper air/oil separator (aka a catch can with a filtration system), that way your car doesn't look ghetto with the odd oil drop underneath it

trueno86power 01-22-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protpibe (Post 1472494)
Just get a proper air/oil separator (aka a catch can with a filtration system), that way your car doesn't look ghetto with the odd oil drop underneath it

Where do you read that i will drop the oil on the ground? Oil will be drop in the can...

Anyway, I want some info on who have done it... not that I should not do that!

Tye300 01-22-2014 10:21 PM

I did this. When I was NA, I had it setup from the PCV valve, then back to the intake. When I installed the supercharger, I had to vent it to atmosphere because the old setup would cause boost leak. You would not believe how much oil it catches.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...psa364ab46.jpg

The first time I installed the cusco can, I had it set up wrong, going between the breather and intake. This would not catch anything.

grostoine 01-22-2014 10:32 PM

So you put a fitting instead of the pcv valve?

kuhlka 01-22-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tye300 (Post 1472577)
I did this. When I was NA, I had it setup from the PCV valve, then back to the intake. When I installed the supercharger, I had to vent it to atmosphere because the old setup would cause boost leak. You would not believe how much oil it catches.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...psa364ab46.jpg

The first time I installed the cusco can, I had it set up wrong, going between the breather and intake. This would not catch anything.

Breather to intake is what the instructions showed, but damn does it look like you're catching a lot more oil with your setup.

kuhlka 01-22-2014 11:46 PM

What would happen if you just plugged the two intake ports (left hose under the cover and the one on the side of the air intake) and ran the catch can between the breather and PCV with the can venting to atmosphere?

Turdinator 01-23-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuhlka (Post 1472766)
What would happen if you just plugged the two intake ports (left hose under the cover and the one on the side of the air intake) and ran the catch can between the breather and PCV with the can venting to atmosphere?

As long as the catch can is able to flow as much if not more out as it is in then you'll be fine. Except the smell and oily residue of course.

If the can causes a restriction and your block is pressurised you MAY not make as much power but you WILL cause oil leaks. Most lip seals like the ones typically used on the rear main or timing cover will flip the sealing lip inside out above 5 - 10psi depending on the design. Below that threshold they will often weep oil. If the lip flips inside out and the spring behind it runs on the crank for any amount of time the oil leak will be the least of your problems.

trueno86power 01-23-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuhlka (Post 1472766)

Hum...

That way, pressure in the crankcase will have no way to escape. Since when the PCV have no vaccum, it's closed. Pressure will be out via the breather tube and will be stuck into the can since it's not vented to atmosphere...

Don't do that!

mrk1 01-23-2014 08:10 AM

There really are two different items here. Catch cans and air oil separators. Lots of catch cans out there are just shiny containers with an in and an out. They just hope to catch oil. Separators do what the name says, pull the oil out of the air. Usually with just simple baffles or some type of filter media. I built my own separator with a series of internal baffles like those stacking wooden dolls. Yes mine is VTA so there is nothing pulling it through but the entry ports are offset on the cylinder so it's designed to introduce a swirling motion inside the cylinder. Basic stuff. Since it's made of steel and not clear, sure there is a degree of guesses what's going on inside but I've made them before and never had an oily mess come out the filter. The filter does need to be washed now and then but nothing crazy. I've also done one that had a check valve connected to the exhaust. The exhaust gasses pulled the contents out of the container. That was an experiment and didn't seem to work any better then the VTA.