Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Anybody stretched seat springs for headroom? How did it work out? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138489)

gshopper 01-08-2020 03:37 PM

Anybody stretched seat springs for headroom? How did it work out?

(repost from interior/ cosmetic mods forum)

I just got a 2019 BRZ with PP. I am a tall driver and might track the car, so I am looking for ways to increase headroom. I read that some members stretched the springs under the seat and got an extra inch or so.

I haven't seen a lot of pictures, so I am a little unsure of how much to stretch the springs. Or how to do so other than grab and pull hard. Did you use tools?

And how did it work out? Any regrets? I am interested in doing this but I would love to benefit from anybody's experience first.

Thanks.

Glenn

PetrolioBenzina 01-08-2020 05:05 PM

A nice hard fart, nearly a shart, will give you an inch or so by itself.

sunami88 01-08-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3288949)
A nice hard fart, nearly a shart, will give you an inch or so by itself.

That would cause lift though, wouldn't it?

PetrolioBenzina 01-08-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunami88 (Post 3288950)

Correct, but you crater the seat lower in the process.

NWFRS 01-08-2020 08:13 PM

Stretching the seat springs is a well-known trick to lowering seat height. Less well-known but equally effective is to cut a round hole in the floor and weld a wok to the bottom of the seat for maximum tilt/positioning options, effectively turning it into a captain's chair. This has the added benefit of stealthy poops in the Walmart parking lot.

soundman98 01-08-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunami88 (Post 3288950)

not if you're buckled in!

Stomachbuzz 01-09-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWFRS (Post 3288986)
Stretching the seat springs is a well-known trick to lowering seat height. Less well-known but equally effective is to cut a round hole in the floor and weld a wok to the bottom of the seat for maximum tilt/positioning options, effectively turning it into a captain's chair. This has the added benefit of stealthy poops in the Walmart parking lot.

Took me a minute to understand the idea here. Lol wow

to OP, I would be pretty hesitant to molest the seat in such a way on a brand new vehicle. But that's just me being a young guy who doesn't yet have disposable income.

I would be tempted to search long and hard for aftermarket seat brackets that can lower the seat. Not sure if these exist, but worth a try :iono:

NWFRS 01-09-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz (Post 3289050)
Took me a minute to understand the idea here. Lol wow

I was attempting to channel my inner Red Green....

PetrolioBenzina 01-09-2020 09:29 AM

Another alternative is to gain weight.

humfrz 01-09-2020 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OR, just cut the legs down to fit - :iono:

(sorry, it's another slow day in Puyallup - :sigh:)

humfrz

cgant5 01-09-2020 03:19 PM

I took the seat out and cut the plastic connectors between the springs. Then I pulled about as hard as i could on the springs by hand. I honestly thought it wasn't doing a thing, but when i reinstalled and sat in it, I had about an inch to inch and a half more room for my helmet. It was one of the better things I've done to enhance the driving experience inside the car. Definitely don't regret it

gshopper 01-09-2020 03:29 PM

Thank you cgant5. This is what I will probably do. Not sure if I need to cut the plastic parts though. Did you find it helpful or necessary to stretch the springs?

To everyone else, Thanks for your thoughtful commentary. All of your suggestions will be considered only if stretching the springs doesn’t work

Glenn

humfrz 01-09-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshopper (Post 3289180)
Thank you cgant5. This is what I will probably do. Not sure if I need to cut the plastic parts though. Did you find it helpful or necessary to stretch the springs?

To everyone else, Thanks for your thoughtful commentary. All of your suggestions will be considered only if stretching the springs doesn’t work

Glenn

You're a good sport, there, gshopper - :thumbsup:

humfrz

gshopper 01-09-2020 09:54 PM

Korhun: Not sure what that would do. Steering wheel placement is good. Just need to keep head (and helmet) from hitting headliner.