Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How many miles after the Empty gas Light comes on. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141084)

Jack Carrigan 06-23-2020 10:10 PM

How many miles after the Empty gas Light comes on.

Saw the last thread with lots of guesses and estimates.
I actually ran it dry and it was higher than most people thought.
72 miles. I average 29 miles a gallon so that's 2.5 gallons. (I have a 2013 btw)

This is by far the largest reserve in any car I have ever owned in relation to overall capacity (13 gal).

etherdude 06-23-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Carrigan (Post 3343519)
72 miles. I average 29 miles a gallon so that's 2.5 gallons. (I have a 2013 btw)

This is by far the largest reserve in any car I have ever owned in relation to overall capacity (13 gal).

Sounds exactly correct. On my 2015 FR-S, when the "Feed Me" light came on, I could always count on putting in 10.5 gallons. Thus that means there is still 2.5 gallons to go. I don't yet know if my 2020 86 will produce the same result.

In my head, I usually plan on having a useable 12+ gallons. Range would then be ~300 miles (winter) to ~360 miles (summer). The farthest I ever went on a tank was 400 miles at an average of 32.5 mpg.

Th3rdSun 06-24-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

I've always wondered,but never really tried to calculate how much was left. I average 29 mpg as well and I live about 15 miles from work,so that means I can get a full two days of commuting,plus another trip to work,before having to full up again.

g e 06-24-2020 02:01 PM

I was on a 2 lane road in rural Illinois when gas light came on. It was more like a goat path that had been tarred. Got so low I felt like I was running on fumes and I was thinking I might have to stop at a farmhouse to get gas.

Finally came to a village with a self serve pump. Good because it was closed and not a soul in sight.

humfrz 06-24-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g e (Post 3343778)
I was on a 2 lane road in rural Illinois when gas light came on. It was more like a goat path that had been tarred. Got so low I felt like I was running on fumes and I was thinking I might have to stop at a farmhouse to get gas.

Finally came to a village with a self serve pump. Good because it was closed and not a soul in sight.

......and the "rest of the story" is?

:iono:

DarkPira7e 06-24-2020 02:45 PM

I've always assumed that I get 1 gallon after the " HEY!!!" light comes on, and 1 gallon after it hits E as a safety. I do my absolute best to find fuel if I am below a quarter tank as a rule of thumb. I appreciate this testing :)

humfrz 06-24-2020 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3343789)
I've always assumed that I get 1 gallon after the " HEY!!!" light comes on, and 1 gallon after it hits E as a safety. I do my absolute best to find fuel if I am below a quarter tank as a rule of thumb. I appreciate this testing :)

Good plan - :thumbsup:

g e 06-24-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3343788)
......and the "rest of the story" is?

:iono:

Actually the rest of the story gets bizarre.

My mother was having health issues then. I got to her place and a little later has symptoms that presented as heart attack. 9-1-1 and man they got there quick! Cops, fire, paramedics ... quite a show.

So they put her in the ambulance and took off. I trailed behind. They said don’t try to keep up. And I couldn’t.

Just as I turned into the hospital parking lot a tornado warning squawked over the car radio and I about jumped out of the car. Funnel spotted less than two miles away. What a day.

Turns out she just had a major anxiety attack - no chemical signature for heart issue. After about 5 hours in the hospital we were sent home.

BTW- I learned something at the hospital: older folks in their 80’s can have adverse reactions to even small doses of Xanax. It sure did for my mom.

humfrz 06-24-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g e (Post 3343822)
Actually the rest of the story gets bizarre.

My mother was having health issues then. I got to her place and a little later has symptoms that presented as heart attack. 9-1-1 and man they got there quick! Cops, fire, paramedics ... quite a show.

So they put her in the ambulance and took off. I trailed behind. They said don’t try to keep up. And I couldn’t.

Just as I turned into the hospital parking lot a tornado warning squawked over the car radio and I about jumped out of the car. Funnel spotted less than two miles away. What a day.

Turns out she just had a major anxiety attack - no chemical signature for heart issue. After about 5 hours in the hospital we were sent home.

BTW- I learned something at the hospital: older folks in their 80’s can have adverse reactions to even small doses of Xanax. It sure for my mom.

Well, glad your mom was OK.

Who says that life doesn't get exciting in Illinois? - :confused0068:

g e 06-24-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3343824)
Well, glad your mom was OK.

Who says that life doesn't get exciting in Illinois? - :confused0068:

The rest of the story was in Iowa, home state and my home town boasts the largest cereal mill in the world.

And now they have a craft distillery that puts out some fine sipping rye

Vracer111 06-24-2020 06:33 PM

All I know is with my Scangauge II when filling up it would be 95% fuel level on a full tank and right exactly once it hit 18% the low fuel light would come on.

On my Frontier full is 85% and low fuel indicator kicks on at between 14-13%... worked it out that ~4.5% = 1 gallon on the Frontier from calculating several fillups...that would put reserve at ~5 gallons.

If from low fuel light to empty is 2.5 gallons on FR-S , then that would mean ~7.2% for every gallon on the Scangauge II.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Stil...O/OI000742.jpg

soundman98 06-24-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

what's the average when running 4-7k rpm with extreme rev matching, through 318 curves?

asking for a friend.

aw11 06-25-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3343891)
what's the average when running 4-7k rpm with extreme rev matching, through 318 curves?

asking for a friend.

Hmmm that's very specific, I wonder what you could be talking about. I noticed last weekend on a particularly curvy section of route 129 that I averaged right around 17 mpg. This was after running that section back and forth several times, for a more accurate mpg measurement of course.

Th3rdSun 06-25-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vracer111 (Post 3343855)
All I know is with my Scangauge II when filling up it would be 95% fuel level on a full tank and right exactly once it hit 18% the low fuel light would come on.

Here's a question. Were you usually filling up,do you fill up when the tank is pretty much empty? I've heard that when you do that,there's a lot of air in the tank and that you should fill up when the tank is only half empty.

Just curious to see if the scangauge would read higher than 95% if you filled up with only a half tank instead of completely empty tank.