Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Replacement windshield (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146489)

marky 08-13-2021 03:03 PM

Replacement windshield

1 Attachment(s)
Well got wacked by a rock first time happens truck had rock falling I tried to get out the way got me on the side.. never had that in my frs.. now my brz ts got a nice rock wack looks like needs replacing...

Going through insurance first time idk 😐 I'm I going to pay out of my pocket?

Thanks

MuseChaser 08-13-2021 03:20 PM

Depends on your insurance. If you have comprehensive, sometimes there is no deductible on glass. In any case, a new windshield, as repairs go, is a relatively cheap repair even if you have to do it out of pocket.

marky 08-13-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseChaser (Post 3456339)
Depends on your insurance. If you have comprehensive, sometimes there is no deductible on glass. In any case, a new windshield, as repairs go, is a cheap repair even if you have to do it out of pocket.

Yeah just got quotes 380 out my pocket.. I think my neighbor does windshield I see his truck carry them I forgot.. ill ask him but I'm sure they will be about all the same prices... glad this car don't have them fancy iSights because I heard thats a pain to replace as moslty needs to be done at dealer because they need to line up the cameras with special alignment machine or something

Dzmitry 08-13-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky (Post 3456326)
Well got wacked by a rock first time happens truck had rock falling I tried to get out the way got me on the side.. never had that in my frs.. now my brz ts got a nice rock wack looks like needs replacing...

Going through insurance first time idk 😐 I'm I going to pay out of my pocket?

Thanks

Sucks man, I always have this fear. I try to avoid being behind trucks as much as possible, but it happens once in a while. Almost had this situation when one merged off an exit and a rock came flying into my windshield. Real loud noise, but it looked more like it made a little crusty chip in the glass, but no crack - got lucky. I cringe every time I'm behind trucks and all I hear is my paint taking tons of rock chips :cry:

marky 08-13-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3456344)
Sucks man, I always have this fear. I try to avoid being behind trucks as much as possible, but it happens once in a while. Almost had this situation when one merged off an exit and a rock came flying into my windshield. Real loud noise, but it looked more like it made a little crusty chip in the glass, but no crack - got lucky. I cringe every time I'm behind trucks and all I hear is my paint taking tons of rock chips :cry:

Yeah I'm normally looking ahead Whats in front of me and slow down in the slow lane and let trucks get away from me.. this my second time getting wacked .. was in my interga that one was dead center and sounded like a gun shot .

marky 08-13-2021 04:08 PM

Just going to replace it out my pocket.. same thing from insurance... oh well all good... thank for in put guys.. happens just need to try avoid things like this but that's how it goes sometimes.. im always careful all the time too but that's how it goes ....

marky 08-13-2021 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well heat here in California made it go even farther 😑 kinda knew that was going to happen.. I cover the car and mark a black tape and hours later it's way out.. its going to go through the whole end ..

Dadhawk 08-13-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseChaser (Post 3456339)
Depends on your insurance. If you have comprehensive, sometimes there is no deductible on glass. In any case, a new windshield, as repairs go, is a relatively cheap repair even if you have to do it out of pocket.

Yea, I'd check with insurance first, they may cover it but may require you use "their guy" (most use Safelite in the US)

marky 08-13-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3456402)
Yea, I'd check with insurance first, they may cover it but may require you use "their guy" (most use Safelite in the US)

yeah safelite ... they said like 380 from my insurance but when i go to safelite out my own pocket its about the same cost...

saw vids of replacement on this cars and its pretty quick and simple too.. glad it dont have no fancy camera driving aid and all that stuff that most cars have now days ... looks like they are busy for the next week or 2...

hopefully this windshield wont collapse when i drive it like that for now :iono: lol doubt it will

marky 08-14-2021 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this.. maybe I'll get 🤔 I'm sure it's all same up to 2020?

I'll have my neighbor install it as he does windshield replacements and repairs

soundman98 08-15-2021 08:55 AM

should probably talk to your neighbor about that plan first. sometimes used parts cost more to install because they need more prep.

marky 08-15-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3456640)
should probably talk to your neighbor about that plan first. sometimes used parts cost more to install because they need more prep.

btw any idea if our cars have wires for defroster for front windshield ? im assuming not? it just uses the hot air from vents

Skot 08-15-2021 09:41 PM

I just went through the same thing. The $439 glass is probably not OEM Subaru glass. I ended up requesting OEM from Safelite and using my insurance. It was something like $850 for the OEM glass.

marky 08-16-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skot (Post 3456761)
I just went through the same thing. The $439 glass is probably not OEM Subaru glass. I ended up requesting OEM from Safelite and using my insurance. It was something like $850 for the OEM glass.

yeah my local subaru has new oem for like 680 and said a rubber seal gasket was like 80.... so your total was about 850 installed with safelite?

ill have my neighbor install mine ill buy it from subaru and pick it up