Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2016 Ford Focus RS (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73460)

Shagaliscious 09-03-2014 04:41 PM

2016 Ford Focus RS

Had a buddy at work tell me about this, seems to be direct competition for the Golf R. I like what i'm reading. Nothing on what it'll look like, yet.

2016 Ford Focus RS: AWD monster likely to land stateside
Quote:

We’ve been hearing rumors that the U.S. will get a Ford Focus RS super-hatch for months. Now we have some exclusive info on what's coming. A Ford source has confirmed to Road & Track that the next-generation Focus RS is likely to come to North America in extremely limited numbers. Unlike its predecessor, it'll be AWD.

UPDATE: We have additional details about the upcoming 2016 Focus RS from another trusted source, including power output, so let's start with that. With the Mustang GT's V8 holding down a 435 hp spot at the top of the Ford performance pecking order (for now, until the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 emerges), the Focus RS is free to turn up the horsepower wick. Since the 2.3-liter Ecoboost is easily capable of more than its 310 hp output in the Mustang, which was dictated more by fuel economy concerns than anything else, the RS is free to pump out between 325 and 350 hp. The higher figure is more likely. This is because as a low-volume, niche product that doesn't compete with the Mustang GT, there's no reason to hold the Focus RS back.

To put the power down, Ford will employ an entirely new AWD system intended for high-output applications. It's not the same system employed on the Fusion, Escape, and MKZ. The new system will employ torque vectoring front and rear to aid handling, and after debuting in the Focus RS it will trickle down to other applications.

That means the Focus RS might have some high-performance AWD company in Ford's lineup soon.

Diode Dynamics 09-03-2014 04:45 PM

It's going to be over $40K though...

Would you rather have a 350hp hatchback or a fully loaded 450hp Mustang GT?

Nick C.

dem00n 09-03-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 1929896)

Nick C.

Considering how nuts people go over an RS in Europe...

I'll still take the RS.

Muaddib 09-03-2014 11:15 PM

I rather have the Shitang GT.

Shagaliscious 09-04-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 1929896)

Nick C.

My first thought was over priced as well...then I thought about how pretty much everything is over priced, so I figured that won't stop them.

And, are you really comparing a hatchback to a mustang? They even said in the article that the Focus RS has been given such high power numbers because it's not direct competition for the mustang.

Either way, i'll take the hatchback every time.

Diode Dynamics 09-04-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shagaliscious (Post 1930926)
My first thought was over priced as well...then I thought about how pretty much everything is over priced, so I figured that won't stop them.

And, are you really comparing a hatchback to a mustang? They even said in the article that the Focus RS has been given such high power numbers because it's not direct competition for the mustang.

Either way, i'll take the hatchback every time.

I'm not comparing the "coupe to hatchback"

It's a dollar per horsepower comparison. Plus FWD is a deal-breaker for me personally

I'm excited to see the RS come to the states, but I would personally take a 2015 Mustang GT over it

Nick C.

Shagaliscious 09-04-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 1931064)
I'm not comparing the "coupe to hatchback"

It's a dollar per horsepower comparison. Plus FWD is a deal-breaker for me personally

I'm excited to see the RS come to the states, but I would personally take a 2015 Mustang GT over it

Nick C.

It's gonna be AWD.

-Tom- 09-04-2014 10:23 AM

If it's AWD I'll eat my own car keys. Least credible source I've ever seen, these sort of articles are a waste of time, only made to draw in traffic.

Superhatch 09-04-2014 11:43 AM

If an AWD RS comes to the states it would be something I'd possibly sell my BRZ over. I've first and foremost been a 3 door fan. Everything I've owned until the BRZ had a hatch (240, 10 hondas, Mini Cooper S, Corolla FX16). The looks of the 5 door hatch just never did it for me so I passed on the ST.

So...I looked around for spy shots and the like and it looks like the RS will probably be a 5 door here in the states. No thanks. :brokenheart:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/17/2...-rs-spy-shots/

WolfpackS2k 09-04-2014 11:48 AM

You people are silly if you think this is gonna sticker for $5k MORE than an STI, lol. It's not gonna cost $15k more than an ST. Don't be ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Tom- 09-04-2014 11:50 AM

Of course it'll be a 5 door, why would they design more or less a whole new body just for the RS?

One of Ford's head engineers said in an interview the next RS would be front wheel drive. The mk2 was a hit over here, I almost bought one were it not for a few little niggles that put me off.

Xti 09-04-2014 12:28 PM

Nothing beats STI in the price range vs performance.

Simple example, Subaru has the most Efficient and Light weight AWD setup on the planet.

The STI may have weak ringsland, but if you throw it 10k for a bullet proof Forged engine, you are going toward GT-R level

f0rge 09-04-2014 03:08 PM

The biggest problem with this article is that it says the car will be AWD. The focus platform does not currently support AWD in any market, so how are they going to make the business case for 1 sport model to have AWD at probably astronomical R&D costs?

unsurety 09-04-2014 03:44 PM

I've seen rumors from "credible sources" on Autoblog. I expect it to start around $29-33k. It should undercut the Golf R. The question is, will it be the 2 door version? I would be all over that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Tom- (Post 1931090)
If it's AWD I'll eat my own car keys. Least credible source I've ever seen, these sort of articles are a waste of time, only made to draw in traffic.

QFT