Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you prefer that the FRS had a "real" engine? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90985)

NOHOME 07-02-2015 04:39 PM

Would you prefer that the FRS had a "real" engine?

Reading a thread on the GRM board on FRS ownership. While the joys of driving are unanimous, the lack of love for the boxer is pretty strong from those that own the car.

So, I thought to bring the question over to FRS central...Would you prefer that the Twins had a non-boxter engine?

My unjustified opinion after 3 years is that I wont ever buy another car with a Subaru engine. Not that it has done me bad, but I just dont like it and time is not making me any fonder.

And before anyone spews chapter and verse from The Book of Subaru about CG being ruined: don't bother because unless you move the engine to the roof, the difference would not be noticeable.

billyk 07-02-2015 04:51 PM

"Real" engine??
"Non-Boxter"??

Can't speak for others, but I love this engine.

DAEMANO 07-02-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOHOME (Post 2307706)
And before anyone spews chapter and verse from The Book of Subaru about CG being ruined: don't bother because unless you move the engine to the roof, the difference would not be noticeable.

I be trollin', they be hatin'
:dnftt:

WhiteFRS69 07-02-2015 04:54 PM

OP doesnt like it cause it doesnt have a turbo most likely

Tcoat 07-02-2015 05:04 PM

The engine works, it moves the car along fine (for my needs), I have had no problems and overall it is an engine. Don't really care who makes it as long as it gets the job done.
Plenty of guys have proven you can wring loads of power out of it that is what you want so not sure what defines a "real" engine anyway.

Bristecom 07-02-2015 05:06 PM

It's not just the lower CoG. Because it is physically lower, the front hood is lower which allows you to see better. It is also better balanced so it doesn't need a balance shaft or heavy counterweights. And one of my favorite features is having the oil filter on top for super clean and easy oil changes. Overall, it is my favorite engine design but I just wish they would increase the displacement a bit to 2.3-2.4 to improve power. If this car did not have a boxer engine, it wouldn't be as special to me.

quasi86 07-02-2015 05:09 PM

100hp per litre! That's sounds real enough to me.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

F3RGY68 07-02-2015 05:17 PM

The first time I test drove one, I told the dealership I was looking at other cars because I'm not a fan of boxers. I looked past it, and now that I own one, it's become apparent the reasons it was utilized. In the world of new cars, this engine is really easy to work on for the average joe. I'm not going to spew the spacial and performance benefits listed everywhere.

I don't know why you wouldn't consider it a real engine...? Porsche thinks boxers are good enough to use. There's also a flat-six in the Lykan Hypersport.

I would like to see you own a rotary for a few months and report back.

drewbot 07-02-2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

My unjustified opinion after 3 years is that I wont ever buy another car with a Subaru engine. Not that it has done me bad, but I just dont like it and time is not making me any fonder.

You say you don't like it, but provide no reason?

funwheeldrive 07-02-2015 05:20 PM

I wish it was an inline-4 only because it would be easier work on.

I also wish it sounded like a boxer from the factory.

extrashaky 07-02-2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

So, I thought to bring the question over to FRS central...Would you prefer that the Twins had a non-boxter engine?

No.

This car has a ridiculously low center of gravity, one of the lowest of any production car if not THE lowest. It feels planted. The flat engine contributes to that. It makes plenty of power for the weight of the vehicle while not shifting the engine's mass around above the wheels. It would be difficult to get a better balance.

If you want a car with more power sitting up higher above the wheels, you have plenty of choices. Go buy one of those and quit whining about this one.

REAV3R 07-02-2015 05:30 PM

I've always been a big fan of Subaru. I like the sounds they make compared to their inline 4 competitors. I came from the FWD-Turbo camp of the SRT4 world and though it was a very fun car and it made all the right noises and lots of torque, I never really fell in love with it. Two of the best Japanese automakers, both known for quality and reliability, came together to build this great platform. I've never owned a Subaru or a Toyota before this car, but I absolutely love it. The styling is spot on and with a new header and a few minor mods, that boxer rumble comes out and sounds beastly. I am VERY glad it has a Subaru heart. An inline 4 would just make it sound like all the other modded Civics, Cobalts, Coups, etc. This boxer gives it much more personality, in my humblest of opinions.

frsvr4 07-02-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Did you do the math to arrive at this conclusion or is it a guess? I'll help you get started: a 4G63 is ~275 lbs.

And define noticeable. Noticeable to your ass or noticeable in lap times?

Kimsey47 07-02-2015 05:35 PM

http://media.subaru.com/newsrelease....27s-10&mid=175

Seems to be well liked last time I heard...