Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help me with catback please! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149781)

gpvecchi 05-14-2022 12:53 PM

Help me with catback please!

I recently switched to catless header, so my STi axleback became too loud for my old ears. I put back the stock muffler, but this is too silent!
Can you please help me with choosing another catback/axleback (catback preferred)?

I'd prefer 60 mm, 2 round exits, japanese build with good flow; I thought of Blitz VSR, but I am skepticals, as there are reports of power loss; HKS Legamax Premium (axleback or catback); HKS Legamax Sports (it seems noisy with uncatted headers); Fujitsubo; Kakimoto; Apexi N1X (noisy?).
Suggestions? Thanks!

DarkPira7e 05-14-2022 01:04 PM

Why do you have to modify the axleback? You could change the front pipe to one with a "high flow cat" (Or no cat, if you're into that) and the stock muffler comes alive a bit more.

gpvecchi 05-14-2022 01:16 PM

I have the Apexi Super catalyzer with manifold, so, header, over pipe, and catted and resonated front pipe.

I forgot, I prefer a quiet exhaust at low revs, but a little growl when revving.

gen3v8 05-14-2022 01:57 PM

I`m curious. Did you notice a power loss with the more quiet stock axleback?. I too have your taste in exhaust volumes.

gpvecchi 05-14-2022 02:56 PM

I fitted stock muffler yesterday, so I still have to test it. First impression, yes.

I particular at high revs, car seems slower. I'll update in the next days.

gen3v8 05-15-2022 10:34 PM

Okay no worries Thanks. I was thinking of putting the stock axleback on mine to reduce some volume but i don`t want a noticeable power loss. I have PSR uel catless header with o/pipe. Stock front pipe and Invidia Q300 axleback.

gpvecchi 05-16-2022 03:42 PM

I confirm my first impressions. Car is more difficult to drive at low revs (accelerator is less linear) and it lacks power at high revs.
I'm now worried on which catback to buy, as it seems that Blitz VS/VSR has the same issue.
I'm repented I didn't buy the full Apexi Exhaust...

aKaGorganZola 05-16-2022 07:09 PM

I'm running the Perrin 2.5" resonated with a chatted front pipe and it's just about perfect for me. Some days I'm wanting to put my track front pipe in to get a little more volume but otherwise it's great. With the back seat down cruising at 74 it's easy to hear music even at like volume 5 but when you get on it there's definitely a rumble

Espi 05-17-2022 04:46 PM

I myself am between a Greddy Supreme SP Catback, HKS Legmax Sports S-Tail and a CSG Touring (not JDM though) for the not so loud factor. All priced well, great quality and sounds great. Good luck man!

gpvecchi 05-18-2022 04:19 PM

I have another question: how much the stock center section affects performances?
I mean, is it better too keep the stock midpipe with its kinks and bends but good silencing properties and a more "open" axleback, or a catback with a little more restrictive muffler?

Teseo 05-18-2022 08:03 PM

Try using stock front pipe

gpvecchi 05-19-2022 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 3524026)
Try using stock front pipe

Apexi front pipe is quite than stock. This is not what I've asked.

norcalpb 05-19-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3524070)
Apexi front pipe is quite than stock. This is not what I've asked.

"Just tested Apex'i front pipe only.

Halfway in sound between Berk and Fujitsubo, but not as quiet as Fujitsubo.

Stock everything: 83.9db
Fujitsubo front pipe: 83.9db
Berk front pipe: 86.4db
Apex'i front pipe: 85.7db"

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103125

Looks like stock/fujitsubo may still be the most quiet.

spcmafia 05-19-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3523057)
I recently switched to catless header, so my STi axleback became too loud for my old ears. I put back the stock muffler, but this is too silent!
Can you please help me with choosing another catback/axleback (catback preferred)?

I'd prefer 60 mm, 2 round exits, japanese build with good flow; I thought of Blitz VSR, but I am skepticals, as there are reports of power loss; HKS Legamax Premium (axleback or catback); HKS Legamax Sports (it seems noisy with uncatted headers); Fujitsubo; Kakimoto; Apexi N1X (noisy?).
Suggestions? Thanks!

Have you looked into a double resonated FP. I have the HKS one and have zero complaints. HKS Spec L as catback and it pairs quite nice.