Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MXP Comp RS Catback Loudness-- headers or not?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104220)

JoeKasuska 04-10-2016 11:49 AM

MXP Comp RS Catback Loudness-- headers or not??

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I wanted to know about the MXP Comp RS catback. There isnt too much info on the forum but it seems to be well liked. I wanted to compare the loudness of it to say the Invidia n1. dB would be really helpful. I also plan on slapping on some UEL headers down the road so I wanted to know if its too loud after? I love the deep throaty sound and I want something with moderate loudness. Im wondering if the q300 is the better option rn. Not trying to break the bank either.

Thanks for the help!

ort895 04-10-2016 12:21 PM

I am also interested in the MXP so this is great!
From YouTube videos it seems loud but not too loud.
Also, the n1 seems to have droning problems.

Teseo 04-10-2016 01:41 PM

This is like it sound, deep/bass rumble

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilTyrO4_kcQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]MXP Comp RS 1320 UEL Headers - YouTube[/ame]

DAEMANO 04-10-2016 01:55 PM

It's not loud. Just super deep / bassy. It's deeper than my TRD catback (which is saying something). It doesn't drone like the TRD catback. The price is great and MXP (Mackin Industries) makes good quality stuff. Recommended.

mengmoua 04-10-2016 02:01 PM

Hey guys, I have been running the MXP COMP RS exhaust for about 6 months. First impression when I got it installed and drove the car, a lot louder than I thought it would be. Not sure if I just got use to it, but the exhaust did quiet down by an amount after 6 months of usage. It does drone somewhat below 2.5k rpm, but its not bad. Above 2.5k little to no drone. If you run 65 mph or higher on the highway in 6th, drone is pretty much non existent.

Loudness, I'd say this is more quiet than the N1 and louder than the q300. This is an 2.75 inch exhaust. The tone is deep and you get a pop here and there when shifting gears at redline. If you run it with a header expect it to be louder. I have a feeling it will be unbearable. But sound is subjective.

The welds on this exhaust is also well done.

buruguduy 04-10-2016 03:25 PM

I have been running this exhaust for little over 2 weeks now and like @mengmoua said, it is louder than I thought. It has a really deep and bassy tone. It is a bit loud inside the car between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm (at least for me) but not that bad. I can still have a good conversation with my wife inside the car with the radio on when cruising on a highway.

I'd say in my honest opinion the MXP Comp RS is somewhere between an N1 and the Q300 when it comes to loudness. It will definitely be louder with a header.

Very well constructed exhaust.

JoeKasuska 04-10-2016 05:18 PM

thanks everyone, this helps a lot. There really isn't enough information out there for this catback.

decision is definitely made.

Tsuin 04-12-2016 01:53 PM

I have the MXP Comp RS, UEL MXP headers and Overpipe installed and it's pretty loud. If you don't want something really loud then you might go with a different header setup.

How do i like it? i absolutely love it honestly. its loud but can also be pretty quiet at idle and normal driving RPMs. Start up is always really loud but as you know it idles out quickly and once it drops in RPMs it's fine. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I have a video i posted on Instagram you can checkout (its shitty phone quality and it doesn't capture the true deep bass tones) but you might get a better idea. Instagram username is Onitsuin. I will be uploading a better quality video to youtube when i have time as well.

Dru670 05-26-2016 01:37 AM

This is what the MXP Comp RS sounds like.at WOT
https://youtu.be/q4j0V3R1T7k

OkieSnuffBox 05-26-2016 10:47 AM

If you're worried about it being to loud with a header, get the regular MXP.

I have it (rest of the exhaust is stock), and it's very deep and not too much louder than stock. I suspect with a header it will be just right. No drone, can't hear it on the highway with steady throttle.

WOAHHONEYBADGER 05-26-2016 11:38 AM

I've been using the MXP Comp RS for a year now. Great exhaust, excellent value. i run it with an injen intake. Cold starts are loud, but tones down nicely once engine is at idle. WOT is nice, and not ricey at all. Highway at 3-4k can be a little droney, but nothing music can't fix. My buddy runs the N1 and god it's loud and droney compared to my comp RS.

Adjustable tips is also a plus to nail fitment, and tips are about 4' big enough to fill the stupid gap. Warranty is 1 year on Comps RS, 3 years on SP. I asked MXP about dyno numbers, and they said dyno numbers are 7-9hp (These numbers are subjective of course.)

If you have more cash, get the SP with Ti tips. The Comp RS is just a tad louder and a little more than half the price of the SP. I can't speak for paring it with other exhaust components, but for the price, you really can't beat the quality.

Did i mention, Made in Japan. I did lots and lots of research, my alternatives were greddy supreme and invidia n1 and Q300. I was one of the early adopters of this, there were no youtube videos when i got it.

Get it, save you some money, add some bass, fill those exhaust gaps. I love mine, and i think you'll like it too. Hope this helps.

mav1178 05-26-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOAHHONEYBADGER (Post 2662873)
Did i mention, Made in Japan.

This is not accurate.

-alex

Clipdat 05-26-2016 07:35 PM

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2q1sxuc.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2663339)
This is not accurate.

-alex

mav1178 05-26-2016 08:06 PM

Probably super late on the reply for OP...

I had both the MXP header as well as the MXP Comp RS exhaust on my car in late 2014. Was testing some fitment for them.

With stock front pipe, it was loud.. as in "shaking the whole house during cold startup" loud.
With Berk front pipe, my ears were ringing.

-alex