Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where do you guys buy parts? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121403)

LudwigMiles 08-20-2017 02:06 PM

Where do you guys buy parts?

For my other cars, I never buy parts at the dealer. (ripoff) I also don't buy generic parts from auto parts stores (Duralast, etc)
Instead, I buy from online vendors like FCPEuro that sell OE branded parts like Sachs, Lemforder, Mahle, Seimens/VDO, etc.

Is there something like that for Subaru?
Do you guys buy OEM caliber stuff at the dealer?

86geek 08-20-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965292)
For my other cars, I never buy parts at the dealer. (ripoff) I also don't buy generic parts from auto parts stores (Duralast, etc)
Instead, I buy from online vendors like FCPEuro that sell OE branded parts like Sachs, Lemforder, Mahle, Seimens/VDO, etc.

Is there something like that for Subaru?
Do you guys buy OEM caliber stuff at the dealer?

Look at vendor list in this site. ;)
86speed.com
Ft86speedfactory
Rallysport
Kamispeed

jdmblood 08-20-2017 03:23 PM

ft86speedfactory

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 08-20-2017 03:37 PM

86worx, ebay, aliexpress

LudwigMiles 08-20-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

86speed.com
Ft86speedfactory
Rallysport
Kamispeed
ft86speedfactory
I am specifically talking about OEM style parts.
I am not interested in buying performance upgrades.

For example, is there a benefit to buying like an alternator from these vendors over a dealer?
Would sites like that a basic Bosch or Denso alternator? Is it like half the cost of the dealer?

86geek 08-20-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965385)
I am specifically talking about OEM style parts.
I am not interested in buying performance upgrades.

For example, is there a benefit to buying like an alternator from these vendors over a dealer?
Would sites like that a basic Bosch or Denso alternator? Is it like half the cost of the dealer?

Look on different Toyota dealerships across the USA. Some OEM parts can be cheaper than your local dealership. ;) google is your friend. :popcorn:

Shinigami301 08-21-2017 08:10 AM

Depends on the dealer. Mine price matches internet Toyota dealers. Keep in mind shipping costs as well.

mrspindlelegs 08-21-2017 10:25 AM

Right now, I buy basic maintenance items like filters and the one-time drain plug gasket at the Dealership but only because the car is still under the powertrain warranty (will hit 60k miles before 5 years around next Summer). Currently going to FT86speedfactory for aftermarket parts (ARP wheel studs). Once the warranty runs out, I'll have to do more searching to see who else to buy basic maintenance items from (might end-up being Rock Auto or local parts stores like O'Reillys).

NOI 08-21-2017 10:59 AM

I use rock auto for a lot of stuff. Insanely good prices. Hey deal in name brands and generics. For instance, they sell Bosch alternators for our cars...to use your example.

My WIX oil filters are about $3 from them. Bosch wiper blades are like $7, etc.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 11:42 AM

Right, so RockAuto is one place that sells "basic" parts. Any others?

There is no way I want to buy overpriced parts from a dealership.
For my other cars, dealer parts are literally triple the price.

VIP BRZ 08-21-2017 12:09 PM

Why do you need an alternator?

extrashaky 08-21-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965683)
Right, so RockAuto is one place that sells "basic" parts. Any others?

Having purchased a lot of stuff from them, I'd say to be careful with Rock Auto. Occasionally it will look like they have the best price, yet the shipping charges will bump it up more than a site with free shipping.

Speaking of free shipping, I find a lot of parts on Amazon and get the "free" shipping since I have a Prime membership. Amazon often has the best total price.

Additionally, if you have a part number, you can also use Frugal Mechanic to find out who has the best price. Often it will show you where someone is having a promotion or sale. However, the caveat with Frugal Mechanic is that some of the vendors listed on there are not very good, so if you see one you don't recognize that has a price that seems too good, you should read some reviews of them to make sure they're legit.

https://frugalmechanic.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965683)
There is no way I want to buy overpriced parts from a dealership.
For my other cars, dealer parts are literally triple the price.

I don't think you were paying attention to what was posted above. There are certain dealers who have created a pretty good business for themselves in selling parts on the internet at a discount and undercutting other dealers. For example, a while back I was looking for some Subaru parts, and the best price was at a site called subarugenuineparts.com. That turned out to actually be Michael's Subaru of Bellevue (WA). Some of the dealers even list parts on Amazon for cheaper than you can get them anywhere else.

So don't rule out "dealerships" just because your local place overcharges (mine does too). Some of them have figured out the discount high volume internet sales model and will give you a decent deal. There are several Toyota dealerships doing the exact same thing to remain competitive.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 01:29 PM

I've gotten parts from this site in the past.
Seems like they have basic parts for BRZ/FRS
http://www.partsgeek.com/ymm/2013/subaru/brz.html

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2965715)
I don't think you were paying attention to what was posted above. There are certain dealers who have created a pretty good business for themselves in selling parts on the internet at a discount and undercutting other dealers.

I was paying attention. Even a "cheap" dealership will be on a whole different price tier compared debranded OEM parts directly labelled from non-dealer vendors.

I decided to spot check a few items, and it seems like online dealer prices are way higher, but for certain parts, are at least in the same univserse.
This is not the case with German cars, I can say that. (Rotor will be $75 online, and $300 at internet dealer)

Basic brake pads
subarugenuineparts.com $70
Parks Geek $20

Radiator
subarugenuineparts.com $241
Parts Geek $72

Brake Rotor
subarugenuineparts.com $62
Parts Geek $50

Serp Belt
subarugenuineparts.com $28
Parts Geek $13-23