Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Replacement rotors for BRZ PP Brembos? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137544)

mistople 10-29-2019 08:32 PM

Replacement rotors for BRZ PP Brembos?

After a bit of searching I'm still a bit lost as to what options us PP owners have for rotor replacements.

Are there tried and true options out there? I see OEM rotors listed for $411—something seems fishy there.

Code Monkey 10-29-2019 08:48 PM

Google KNS Brakes and see what they have.

i8ur911 10-29-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3270880)
After a bit of searching I'm still a bit lost as to what options us PP owners have for rotor replacements.

Are there tried and true options out there? I see OEM rotors listed for $411—something seems fishy there.

PM sent

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Grady 10-30-2019 08:16 AM

I just went through this. Not much info out there about what fits. The best info I found was on FT86speed. I ended up going with the DBA 5000 series 2 piece drilled and slotted on the front 5654GLDXS-10. DBA 4000 series slotted on rear 42656S-10.

I did find a better price on some components at other vendors. Also when I ordered the rear rotors from FT86speed I made a mistake. When I contacted their “Customer Service” I was basically told it is not our fault you made a mistake for F you! It was not the fact that they would not help it was the way they handled it. They are on my black list now.

i8ur911 10-30-2019 08:38 AM

StopTech makes rotors for the PP cars; blanks, drilled and slotted.

If anyone needs help or more info, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Goingnowherefast 10-30-2019 08:51 AM

Rockauto.com or just search the part number.

Fronts: CENTRIC 125.47019
Rears: CENTRIC 125.47043

Please dear god don't overpay for rotors like DBA. From an engineering standpoint, you simply want high carbon content, blank (but vented) rotors. Don't believe me? Look up Formula 1 brakes and you'll see they run blanks. It's simple thermodynamics, where you want as much useful mass as possible. Besides, pads don't expel as much gas as they used to so the viability of slotted are nullified and drilled rotors? Well that's just literally unsafe for track applications. Edit: There's an argument to be had about slotted's great water-shedding ability, but useless you'll building a rally car that's not needed.

DarkPira7e 10-30-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast (Post 3271014)
Please dear god don't overpay for rotors like DBA. From an engineering standpoint, you simply want high carbon content, blank (but vented) rotors. Don't believe me? Look up Formula 1 brakes and you'll see they run blanks. It's simple thermodynamics, where you want as much useful mass as possible.

Don't forget that with some applications, 2 piece rotors are for weight savings and are quite a bit more expensive. There are a lot of neat details baked into some rotor packages (temperature indicators for example) that while some may find them frivolous, some may like the information before settling with a setup without needing a temp sensor gun.

True that they aren't always functionally important, but customization is why cars are fun, right?

Goingnowherefast 10-30-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3271022)
Don't forget that with some applications, 2 piece rotors are for weight savings and are quite a bit more expensive. There are a lot of neat details baked into some rotor packages (temperature indicators for example) that while some may find them frivolous, some may like the information before settling with a setup without needing a temp sensor gun.

2 piece rotors are included when I mention blanks. You can get drilled/slotted/blank 2 pieces. While the information can be considered nice, people need to just do it right and invest in a quality pyrometer. They're like a few hundred, which is effectively the cost difference between the regular rotors and the DBA's listed. Not only can that be used to examine brake component temperatures, but it crucial to setting up a car suspension wise.

SmartedPanda 10-30-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Please dear god don't overpay for rotors like DBA. From an engineering standpoint, you simply want high carbon content, blank (but vented) rotors. Don't believe me? Look up Formula 1 brakes and you'll see they run blanks. It's simple thermodynamics, where you want as much useful mass as possible. Besides, pads don't expel as much gas as they used to so the viability of slotted are nullified and drilled rotors? Well that's just literally unsafe for track applications. Edit: There's an argument to be had about slotted's great water-shedding ability, but useless you'll building a rally car that's not needed.

To back what GNF says EE has a video saying basically Blanks are the best.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbht355R8[/ame]

Grady 10-30-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Please dear god don't overpay for rotors like DBA. From an engineering standpoint, you simply want high carbon content, blank (but vented) rotors. Don't believe me? Look up Formula 1 brakes and you'll see they run blanks.

DBA’s are not expensive.

Also F1 brakes are carbon fiber. Apples and oranges. Yes there are CF brakes that are drilled.

Goingnowherefast 10-30-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3271054)
DBA’s are not expensive.

Also F1 brakes are carbon fiber. Apples and oranges. Yes there are CF brakes that are drilled.

It's not apples and oranges. The laws of thermodynamics are the same. This is why we can derive tactics that work at the highest level of motorsports and make them work at a grassroots level.

Centric High Carbon content: $66 per rotor
DBA: $147 per rotor (on sale, $238 normally)

So they're actually over twice as expensive. Normally 3.5x expensive lol. You can buy a super high quality pyrometer for the money saved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartedPanda (Post 3271043)
To back what GNF says EE has a video saying basically Blanks are the best.

:thumbsup:

mistople 10-30-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks, these are basically what I've been looking for. Cheap and simple! Slotted/drilled looks cool, but there's no way I'm paying $600-800/axle for rotors.

Do these two part numbers specifically fit the PP brakes? It's hard to tell from the listings.

Goingnowherefast 10-30-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3271070)
Thanks, these are basically what I've been looking for. Cheap and simple! Slotted/drilled looks cool, but there's no way I'm paying $600-800/axle for rotors.

Do these two part numbers specifically fit the PP brakes? It's hard to tell from the listings.

Yep! According to Centrics brake catalog found here: https://www.apcautotech.com/automoti...systems?page=1

Grady 10-30-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast (Post 3271057)
It's not apples and oranges. The laws of thermodynamics are the same. This is why we can derive tactics that work at the highest level of motorsports and make them work at a grassroots level.

Centric High Carbon content: $66 per rotor
DBA: $147 per rotor (on sale, $238 normally)

So they're actually over twice as expensive. Normally 3.5x expensive lol. You can buy a super high quality pyrometer for the money saved.

:thumbsup:

Hey I was sold on Kangaroo paw cooling! Sounded too cool not to have!

Anyway we are done here OP stated he is looking for cheep. He will not listen to ether one of us now!