Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   First and Second gears are clunky... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98490)

mcrane 12-05-2015 11:46 AM

First and Second gears are clunky...

I have heard that this is a recurring issue with our cars. Just looking for any updates or tricks for a long term solution.

I just purchased the vehicle (2013 FR-S) pre-owned and it has about 15,000 miles on it. Just started noticing it.

When shifting from Neutral to First, there is a bit of resistance. Same with Second (which actually has a small clunk also). Now if I take it out of First or Second and back to Neutral for a second then back into gear, it shifts smooth. Third gear has very slight resistance, but nothing extreme. I also let the car warm up for a few minutes. Note: temperatures where I live are starting to fall below 45 degrees (f). Not sure if it is just the cold weather or not.

I have tried the 2nd gear start trick and that works temporarily (although the transmission makes a bit more clunking noise after).

I plan on doing a tranny and diff fluid change in the coming weeks with Motul 300, since I see alot of recommendations for that. Any other ideas guys?

Thanks!

hmong337 12-05-2015 01:14 PM

Yes, this is a minor quirk with this car. The gearbox needs a but of warm up to operate smoothly. When cold, just baby it. Simple as that. It should come up to operating temperature quickly.

humfrz 12-05-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrane (Post 2470921)
I have heard that this is a recurring issue with our cars. Just looking for any updates or tricks for a long term solution.

I just purchased the vehicle (2013 FR-S) pre-owned and it has about 15,000 miles on it. Just started noticing it.

When shifting from Neutral to First, there is a bit of resistance. Same with Second (which actually has a small clunk also). Now if I take it out of First or Second and back to Neutral for a second then back into gear, it shifts smooth. Third gear has very slight resistance, but nothing extreme. I also let the car warm up for a few minutes. Note: temperatures where I live are starting to fall below 45 degrees (f). Not sure if it is just the cold weather or not.

I have tried the 2nd gear start trick and that works temporarily (although the transmission makes a bit more clunking noise after).

I plan on doing a tranny and diff fluid change in the coming weeks with Motul 300, since I see alot of recommendations for that. Any other ideas guys?

Thanks!

Here is my stock suggestion:

As mentioned above, a warmer transmission is a happier transmission.

In addition, I would suggest that when shifting, wind up the last gear pretty tight before shifting into the next higher gear.

Also, when shifting from 1st to 2nd, pull the shift lever slowly and firmly into 2nd gear.

It's not a toggle switch ..... the lever is moving heavy transmission parts.

I suggest you not "lazy leg" it ....... push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

If this technique doesn't help, you may consider a different transmission fluid.

humfrz

Black Tire 12-05-2015 09:05 PM

I noticed that the second or third transmission fluid change helped even more. I think getting out all of the original OEM fluid is the reason here. I think this may be the reason that some people say, "fluid A didn't do it for me, so I got it out after 1000 miles and put in fluid B and now everything is great." I am using Amsoil, and will probably change it again in the spring.

The transmission shifts super smooth after warm up. I have no trouble with first gear, but 2nd is a pain in my car that needs quite a bit of warm up to work well. In the winter with cold starts (no garage), I sometimes just skip 2nd gear altogether until the transmission is fully warmed up.

Binary_fission 12-06-2015 06:27 AM

I dont quite get what you mean by clunky transmission, if tranny making clunky noise you should have it checked it should be still under warranty. If you only have issue on 1st and 2nd gears it's more likely you are talking about 2 piece driveshaft which tend to jerk the car on start. At least that's what I was told, im ordering single piece driveshaft next month if it eliminates jerk I'll post it up here

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

humfrz 12-06-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binary_fission (Post 2471459)
I dont quite get what you mean by clunky transmission, if tranny making clunky noise you should have it checked it should be still under warranty. If you only have issue on 1st and 2nd gears it's more likely you are talking about 2 piece driveshaft which tend to jerk the car on start. At least that's what I was told, im ordering single piece driveshaft next month if it eliminates jerk I'll post it up here

hmmmm........you may be trading "jerk" for "vibration" ..... :iono:

humfrz

mcrane 12-07-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binary_fission (Post 2471459)

Not necessarily a clunk, I guess. But a bit of resistance when shifting into first and second. I feel it may have to do with the cold temps here. Either way, I think I am going to do a tranny fluid change in the Spring.

Chrisgalactic 12-07-2015 08:13 PM

I guess it's common? When my transmission is warm it's still hard to get it into gears (It's a lot worse when its cold but its still ressistent). I rev my car up to about 4K to have it shift smoothly and eliminate the resistance in gears & jerkiness when releasing the clutch. At times all my gears can be really stubborn though. The 3rd and 4th gears are much better but 5th and 6th dont feel as nice and dnt get me started on 1st & 2nd gear lol Seems to be common. I think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Tapatalk

jcw99 12-07-2015 09:16 PM

When it's feasible, I wind it up to 5k in 1st and shift to 2nd, then I wind it up to 4k in 2nd to shift to 3rd. When it's cold out, I leave my house, which is at the bottom of a hill, and drive to the top of the hill in 1st to warm the trans up a bit. Hope this helps.

autograph 12-07-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrane (Post 2472882)
Not necessarily a clunk, I guess. But a bit of resistance when shifting into first and second. I feel it may have to do with the cold temps here. Either way, I think I am going to do a tranny fluid change in the Spring.

my car just hit 16000 miles and has been the way you describe it since day one, particularly in the cold. its just how the transmission behaves. first gear should go in at a stand still no problem though. second gear is another story XD ive found that second gear will resist when cold when trying to shift at my normal shift rate around town (around 11 mph); interestingly, 2nd will go into gear without much problem at ~4 mph, doesn't fight you there.

its one of those things where you learn the car's quirks; as it warms up 2nd gear works like normal without fighting you. of course, if you're slowing down and don't want to start her up again in 2nd, but you're going too fast (6mph or above) my transmission does not like being put in 1st; in such a situation I'd launch from 2nd. usually if im going 3mph or less ill go back to first gear (i.e. stop and go traffic). 3rd gear has never given me any kind of resistance however.

JoeC 12-08-2015 09:54 AM

just once I would love to drive someone's car that says they have this issue. Perhaps my car doesn't have the issue but I guess I'm skeptical of others that do. This transmission is definitely the tightest, most affirmative transmission I've ever owned. 1st to 2nd, it just clicks right in. Granted, you can't just pull it straight down with no resistance but you move it in motion with all the other parts.

Has anyone driven multiple variants to confirm that some of these cars shift significantly worse than others?

Now shifting gears in my 1-ton Silverado, that takes some time and patience and the gear lever is longer than my leg, hahha

mhughett 12-08-2015 10:57 AM

1st to 2nd is never a problem--even in the cold. The problem comes when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd--and it feels like you've hit a wall!

dvasqu01 12-08-2015 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=humfrz;2471022]Here is my stock suggestion:

As mentioned above, a warmer transmission is a happier transmission.

In addition, I would suggest that when shifting, wind up the last gear pretty tight before shifting into the next higher gear.

Also, when shifting from 1st to 2nd, pull the shift lever slowly and firmly into 2nd gear.

It's not a toggle switch ..... the lever is moving heavy transmission parts.

I suggest you not "lazy leg" it ....... push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

If this technique doesn't help, you may consider a different transmission fluid.

humfrz[/
I also bought my twin used with 8k miles and had the same issue at first. But now I always let it warm and shift like @humfrz suggested bro

I'll give you the rice noodle😘

nikitopo 12-09-2015 06:13 AM

My transmission is much better after the break-in period. I have now 5500 km (3400 miles) and it shifts pretty smooth.