Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   STX setup sharing thread (2020) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138452)

Autoxer62 01-06-2020 12:20 PM

STX setup sharing thread (2020)

I'm new to the group, we bought a Hankone Edition a month ago with the intent of building it later this year for STX. So far I have a line on a couple used parts, and some thoughts for when the budget opens up a little for the big stuff.

Core setup to look like this:
[Suspension]
MCS two way coilovers, 400 lb springs
Karcepts front bar (used part)
Adjustable rear bar
Keeping the Torsen

[Engine]
HKS EL header (used part)
Tune to match for pump gas

Still a lot to fill in. Comments?

bmacfrs 01-06-2020 03:16 PM

Welcome.
That sounds like a pretty reasonable start. Maybe think about some autox oriented brake pads And a choice on 200 tread wear tires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the new guy 01-06-2020 07:17 PM

Welcome and congrats on the 86. Check out the Mid Atlantic section of the forum and the BiWeekly Fairfax thread. Good group and a good amount of us autocross with Capital Driving Club and Washington SCCA.

Here’s an example of a full STX build to give you an idea of how far you can take it
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129578

Autoxer62 01-07-2020 09:45 AM

Thanks for the comments and the link, having a build list is very helpful. I expect to put in poly bushings pretty much everywhere over time unless they don't work - sometimes poly bushings bind things up.

No choice on tires yet, there are frequent enough updates that I don't expect to pick a tire until later. It looks like 17x9 is the wheel size of choice, probably RPF1s.

On brake pads, is everyone using the same compound front and rear? Anything to be avoided? Currently I don't expect to do an upgrade beyond pads/hoses/fluid.

M0nk3y 01-07-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoxer62 (Post 3288620)
Thanks for the comments and the link, having a build list is very helpful. I expect to put in poly bushings pretty much everywhere over time unless they don't work - sometimes poly bushings bind things up.

No choice on tires yet, there are frequent enough updates that I don't expect to pick a tire until later. It looks like 17x9 is the wheel size of choice, probably RPF1s.

On brake pads, is everyone using the same compound front and rear? Anything to be avoided? Currently I don't expect to do an upgrade beyond pads/hoses/fluid.

Follow the K.I.S.S. method. Lots of people like to throw money at everything thinking it's better. Doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

Look at the FRS cars that all have won nationals, going back to when they were first introduced into STX - you'll see none of them were ever full-tilt prep. To this date - only one even had an OSG (Lugod).

The only bushings you should prioritize is the whiteline insert bushings for the subframe. Every other one, can wait...IMO. This is the only bushing set I've done.

I run DS2500s F/R. I think they're the best overall pad you can get. Many options to choose. I don't think splitting pad compounds is the best idea.

Infinity 01-07-2020 12:31 PM

I think the ideal STX setup needs to be built around an OS Giken STX-Tuned 1-Way LSD. I believe the LSD lets you run stiffer rear springs and properly utilize a stiffer front sway bar. Not sure if a 1-Way from another manufacturer will work equally as well.

From the previous STX threads, this is what you want:
- OS Giken STX-Tuned 1-Way LSD
- 5k Front Springs/9k Rear Springs
- 4.2 Degrees Camber Front / 2.8 Degrees Camber Rear
- 22mm Front Bar
- 13mm Rear Bar (Mann Engineering)

DocWalt 01-07-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinity (Post 3288658)
I think the ideal STX setup needs to be built around an OS Giken STX-Tuned 1-Way LSD. I believe the LSD lets you run stiffer rear springs and properly utilize a stiffer front sway bar. Not sure if a 1-Way from another manufacturer will work equally as well.

From the previous STX threads, this is what you want:
- OS Giken STX-Tuned 1-Way LSD
- 5k Front Springs/9k Rear Springs
- 4.2 Degrees Camber Front / 2.8 Degrees Camber Rear
- 22mm Front Bar
- 13mm Rear Bar (Mann Engineering)

That sounds VERY loose...

That said, the math says the normal setup should be really pushy based on ride frequency, so who knows.

I will say, a 1 way diff doesn't seem like a great idea and I have a Giken in my STR car so it's not biased against after market diffs.

ka-t_240 01-07-2020 01:11 PM

Whats the go to front control arm bushings? That are not Whiteline. Sick of their stuff failing. Stock or is there something else?

cueball89 01-07-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-t_240 (Post 3288674)
Whats the go to front control arm bushings? That are not Whiteline. Sick of their stuff failing. Stock or is there something else?

Rallispec has some STI hardened bushings for the front control arms that I have been eyeing up.
http://www.rallispec.com/mou_bush_rstbkbrz.html

sifl 01-08-2020 10:59 AM

I switched to SuperPro bushings. I've had better experience with those.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ka-t_240 01-08-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifl (Post 3288854)
I switched to SuperPro bushings. I've had better experience with those.

I was looking at those, are they STX legal?

sifl 01-08-2020 11:56 AM

The SuperPro are simply polyurethane, with the metal sleeve section for the bolt, like the Whiteline ones. The polyurethane seems to be a different hardness, though.

ka-t_240 01-08-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifl (Post 3288873)
The SuperPro are simply polyurethane, with the metal sleeve section for the bolt, like the Whiteline ones. The polyurethane seems to be a different hardness, though.

Do you have any pics of them? Are they 1 piece like OEM or 2 piece like the whiteline?

sifl 01-08-2020 03:25 PM

I don't have pictures, and it's been a long time since I worked on it, so I looked up the install instructions.
There are two bushing locations in the front control arms.
The front ones are one piece, the rear ones are two piece.
I forgot that the front ones have a new sleeve that replaces the OEM bushing sleeve, which makes sliding in the new polyurethane easier.