Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Exhaust Hangers Slide (exhaust misaligned) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146911)

Dzmitry 09-17-2021 11:29 AM

Exhaust Hangers Slide (exhaust misaligned)

I have a CSG Touring86 cat-back and for a while everything was perfect. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was happy that initially the exhaust tips lined up dead center in the slots for them.

After a while, the cat-back has slightly shifted to one side, making both tips lean toward one side more. :barf:

I checked underneath, and noticed that the stock exhaust hangers that I have, have simply shifted to one side a little more. I shifted them back, and a few weeks later I'm in the same boat again. I think it is because I always park on a slant that tilts my car a bit to one side and the heat probably lets them shift ever so slightly over time. I've tried parking the other way, but realistically I just want to solve this for good if possible.

Are the aftermarket hangers like from Perrin larger or tighter than the stock ones? Would they do the trick for solving this or should I just try to stick something else along side the hangers to help block them from shifting?

NoHaveMSG 09-17-2021 11:32 AM

It could be exhaust alignment pushing it off too, that is the issue with my car. I bet if you unbolt the flange you would have a wider gap on one side of the flange.

You could try measuring the hanger rods and using something like this to keep them from shifting.

https://www.amazon.com/Aobbmok-Solid...1892612&sr=8-3

Ashikabi 09-17-2021 11:42 AM

Bend the hangers to tweak it. Weld/clamp something to prevent the rubber from moving. Hard mount. Add hangers at opposing angles so they fight against each other

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Dzmitry 09-17-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 3466569)
Bend the hangers to tweak it. Weld/clamp something to prevent the rubber from moving. Hard mount. Add hangers at opposing angles so they fight against each other

Didn't want to go too hard with it, such as bending or welding. I want it to be fairly simple to remove the exhaust if needed to change it out or whatever else. But clamping something rubber would be the right idea.

Both of you guys are offering the kind of solution I would think about doing. I'm just curious if any aftermarket hangers take care of this kind of issue, without having to modify/bend/clamp anything. Because if so, I'll just go with that for better strength and support. But if not, I'll do something like you guys are suggesting to hold it in place.

Yoshoobaroo 09-17-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3466619)
Didn't want to go too hard with it, such as bending or welding. I want it to be fairly simple to remove the exhaust if needed to change it out or whatever else. But clamping something rubber would be the right idea.

Both of you guys are offering the kind of solution I would think about doing. I'm just curious if any aftermarket hangers take care of this kind of issue, without having to modify/bend/clamp anything. Because if so, I'll just go with that for better strength and support. But if not, I'll do something like you guys are suggesting to hold it in place.

These were wayyy tighter than my OEM hangers:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...nger-12mm-blue

Ashikabi 09-17-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3466619)

I'm not convinced a different rubber hanger would help is why I'm not recommending that. It'll still hang straight down, just be stiffer.

Alternatively maybe you could add a wire/cable holding it over to the side

Dzmitry 09-17-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3466621)
These were wayyy tighter than my OEM hangers:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...nger-12mm-blue

How was the struggle getting them on?

Yoshoobaroo 09-17-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3466626)
How was the struggle getting them on?

It was a workout, and I put them on dry cause I couldn’t wait for lubricant to dry up as I needed the car right after the install. Some soap water probably would have helped a lot.

humfrz 09-18-2021 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3466564)
I have a CSG Touring86 cat-back and for a while everything was perfect. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was happy that initially the exhaust tips lined up dead center in the slots for them.

After a while, the cat-back has slightly shifted to one side, making both tips lean toward one side more. :barf:

I checked underneath, and noticed that the stock exhaust hangers that I have, have simply shifted to one side a little more. I shifted them back, and a few weeks later I'm in the same boat again. I think it is because I always park on a slant that tilts my car a bit to one side and the heat probably lets them shift ever so slightly over time. I've tried parking the other way, but realistically I just want to solve this for good if possible.

Are the aftermarket hangers like from Perrin larger or tighter than the stock ones? Would they do the trick for solving this or should I just try to stick something else along side the hangers to help block them from shifting?

:slap: - jest get over that perfectionist hang up.

Like ol @Ashikabi suggests, just use some baling wire and wire it over.

:iono:

PulsarBeeerz 09-19-2021 06:24 PM

I have the same exhaust and had the same problem. I installed these guys, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLYLFP3 and haven't had an issue since. ;)

jeepmor 09-19-2021 09:18 PM

Another order made on PulsarBeeez recommendation for a fix. Thanks again. Just adjusted this again this week, with my new urethane hangers. No change, still shifts. Even loosened and wiggled the exhaust clamps. Still moves. Mine goes from center to driver's side.

blsfrs 09-20-2021 08:53 AM

How about a hose clamp on the shaft of the hanger.

Yoshoobaroo 09-20-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blsfrs (Post 3467210)
How about a hose clamp on the shaft of the hanger.

I did a hose clamp on each hanger for a while, it works, but the thin sheetmetal of the clamp starts cutting into the rubber hanger after a while. A shaft collar like @PulsarBeeerz linked would be better long term.

Dzmitry 09-20-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3467115)
I have the same exhaust and had the same problem. I installed these guys, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLYLFP3 and haven't had an issue since. ;)

Yes, this might be great to give a shot. Kind of similar to what @NoHaveMSG linked, but these look a bit easier to work with and possibly stronger in regards to clamping. I agree with @Yoshoobaroo in regards to a long term fix, hence why I don't exactly want to go the "stick something on there" route that keeps it from moving for some time but may or may not work up to a certain point.

Appreciate the info everyone, I'll try this out. Won't bother reporting back about it, but if there's some failure in the future with it, I'll mention it.