Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Anyone try free air subwoofer? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144299)

BitusB 02-23-2021 08:10 AM

Anyone try free air subwoofer?

I’ve seen a YouTube video where a fella installed a 6.75 inch free air sub in the deck/shelf behind the back seat. It looks like there’s a spot in the middle where they stamped out a spot for a 6.5 inch speaker. I’m a sound quality kinda guy and would like to avoid even a small sealed enclosure in the trunk if possible. The sweetest system I’ve ever heard was in a young installers Jetta sedan. It had separates in the front doors and a couple 8” subs in the shelf behind the back seats. He was running quality class A/B amps driving high end Focal speakers (not utopia). Just wondering if anyone has gone free air and their thoughts...

why? 02-23-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BitusB (Post 3408646)
I’ve seen a YouTube video where a fella installed a 6.75 inch free air sub in the deck/shelf behind the back seat. It looks like there’s a spot in the middle where they stamped out a spot for a 6.5 inch speaker. I’m a sound quality kinda guy and would like to avoid even a small sealed enclosure in the trunk if possible. The sweetest system I’ve ever heard was in a young installers Jetta sedan. It had separates in the front doors and a couple 8” subs in the shelf behind the back seats. He was running quality class A/B amps driving high end Focal speakers (not utopia). Just wondering if anyone has gone free air and their thoughts...

most hardcore sq people seem to be mounting everything up front now. Even some higher end luxury car companies have started mounting subs behind the nav systems right up next to the windshield.

BitusB 02-23-2021 05:53 PM

I suppose smaller shallow mount subs could fit in the doors or dash. I’m sure the r&d folks are working on noise cancellation to eliminate road and engine noise or having half the car silent while the other half listens to J.Rogan!

Mr.ac 02-23-2021 10:59 PM

R&D guys lol nah.
With how horrible our rear decks rattle free air sub would worth less.
Not sure how much of a sound quality guy you are, but a real sound quality guy would rather give up cargo space for a proper ported sub box.

The key is compromise. Find the a small box enclosure with either a shallow mount sub and give up a bit of space. Or go full custom fitted enclosure on the rear quarter panels or spare tire area.

BitusB 02-24-2021 01:55 AM

Normally I’d go with a 10” in a sealed enclosure but space is getting tight. I was always scared of Murphy’s law in past installations, figuring I’d be practically asking to be stranded on the side of the road if I ditched the spare tire. But it’s been a good 20 years since I’ve had to rely on a spare to save my bacon, so I guess that’s an option I’d consider. When I say I’m a sq guy I mean that I go for pioneer premier over Sony x-plod and I don’t spend $2k on 20-70hz and $500 on 70-20khz, more the reverse.

TunaNoCrust 02-24-2021 09:01 AM

Free air usually sounds awful, and to make it worth while is a lot of work, time, and money...plus the subs have to be capable of free air. If you want to use the rear deck, get a shallow mount sub, sound deaden the entire rear deck and put a low profile MDF enclosure over the back of the sub....better sealed to the rear deck the better. It is not acoustically the best position for a sub, but it will be lightyears better than a free air.

soundman98 02-24-2021 10:15 PM

track down Integrity Concepts and convince him to make another run of fiberglass boxes.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31813

cjd 02-24-2021 10:27 PM

I mean, you can fit an Anarchy in each door I believe, will get quite low with fewer compromises...

soundman98 02-24-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 3409194)
I mean, you can fit an Anarchy in each door I believe, will get quite low with fewer compromises...

would need almost a 1.5" spacer. my peerless hds nomex needed a 3/4" spacer to clear the glass.

though iirc, there is enough space in the interior door panels for that.

BitusB 02-25-2021 03:47 AM

Talk about peer pressure! I was hoping for some feedback from an individual or two who have tried going free air. Thanks for the feedback, I can’t wait to try to sell my wife on a custom fibreglass enclosure, she loves it when I start talking about audio upgrades! Looks like she might be getting that fancy dining table sooner than later. So now my second hand $20kUS mid-life crisis mobile is going to cost me $30k+ and that’s before I even consider putting in an HKS supercharger. Good thing I’m in a crisis with a side order of crickets.

soundman98 02-25-2021 11:14 PM

if an audio setup is $10k for a car, you've confused irrationally burning money for good sound...

cjd 02-25-2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3409526)
if an audio setup is $10k for a car, you've confused irrationally burning money for good sound...

Raaaaaaaly? ;)

Not sure how else to spend that much...

Also not convinced a sub is needed. Good door driver choice will go as low and sound better than the free air setup being discussed.

Mr.ac 02-25-2021 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3409526)

I know right?

With less than $350 I can put together a decent sounding set up from Walmart. That will still sound leaps and bounds better than stock. Granted the head unit stays.

why? 02-26-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3409537)
I know right?

With less than $350 I can put together a decent sounding set up from Walmart. That will still sound leaps and bounds better than stock. Granted the head unit stays.

Head unit should be the first thing to go. Unless you are getting some sort of digital aid if the source stinks the sound will never be good. I bet the stock speakers on a good head unit will sound much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 3409529)
Raaaaaaaly? ;)

Not sure how else to spend that much...

Also not convinced a sub is needed. Good door driver choice will go as low and sound better than the free air setup being discussed.

Even a bad sub like the oem one you can get as an option makes it sound a lot better.