Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Report: No AWD For Subaru version of FT-86! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493)

Hachiroku 03-12-2010 04:23 PM

Report: No AWD For Subaru version of FT-86!

1 Attachment(s)
Best Car, via 7tune.com

According to 7tune (by way of Best Car):
Quote:

Cost overruns have made Subaru think again about developing an AWD version of its FT-86 based sports car.

It’s been a while since we reported that Subaru were working on an AWD system for its 216A variant of the FT-86 compact sports car and since then some changes have come about concerning the driveline and how that could impact sales. Apparently development costs have spiralled to the point where Subaru can no longer justify the inclusion of the AWD system and as a result has brought some doubt upon the 216A’s ultimate sales potential as a ‘clone’. This has essentially rendered the rumored STi variant a carbon copy of the FT-86 G Sports Concept under its skin, so Subaru have now turned to exterior styling to make up for the lack of mechanical differentiation from the FT-86.

To bring added individuality to the 216A, the focus in now on redesigning the area from the A-pillar forward and giving it a more distinctive front end design rather than merely swapping badges and putting on a different grille. If Toyota do indeed go ahead and release the G Sports version of the FT-86, Subaru will counter that with its own STi version which will then provide the basis for an R205-like special edition.

Prices for the STi and G Sports versions are expected to be 3.5 million JPY and 3 million JPY respectively, with the base model for both automakers to sell for around 2.5 million JPY.

Source: Best Car
Attachment 903

e10rice 03-12-2010 04:28 PM

all man just posted this in the other forum.

ichitaka05 03-12-2010 04:30 PM

Not til Subie bring out the official ver to TAS, I'm still praying that Subie ver will be awd.

4agze 03-12-2010 04:54 PM

not really surprise, so no official concept yet, no official decision if subaru will have their own to version of the FT86

ft86Fan 03-12-2010 04:56 PM

I actually am glad that they won't have an AWD version. Hope they will have a turbo or SC version though.

Axel 03-12-2010 05:02 PM

I'm also wondering that if the STi and G Sports versions will be essentially the same, if many will think Subie's version would be worth the estimated $38,685 vs. the $33,160 for the Toyo version based purely on cosmetics...

And the estimated 2.5 million JPY = $27,632 for the "base" model seems to have crept up considerably.

Maybe a stripped "competition" model might still come in at $25K ??

RRnold 03-12-2010 06:25 PM

Subaru producing a non-AWD seems kind of counter intuitive given their slogan: "Every Subaru is built for AWD from the ground up for constant control and maximum efficiency."

zigzagz94 03-12-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel (Post 12228)
I'm also wondering that if the STi and G Sports versions will be essentially the same, if many will think Subie's version would be worth the estimated $38,685 vs. the $33,160 for the Toyo version based purely on cosmetics...

And the estimated 2.5 million JPY = $27,632 for the "base" model seems to have crept up considerably.

Maybe a stripped "competition" model might still come in at $25K ??

This car will not sell for those prices. :bonk:

I'd say that's about $5k too high for each trim level.

And this is the same group that claimed the ED2 design was scrapped for the Calty one so I call BS on this whole article.

4agze 03-12-2010 07:58 PM

just a speculation: I was thinking subaru may wait until the release of the FT86 to make a move, if FT86 will sell good they may think of doing the 216A may even be a AWD.

scape 03-12-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRnold (Post 12232)
Subaru producing a non-AWD seems kind of counter intuitive given their slogan: "Every Subaru is built for AWD from the ground up for constant control and maximum efficiency."

i agree, they def. boast the concept of having the AWD option for every model lineup.
i'm not sure why AWD R&D would put them over and have them throwing in the towel; seems silly to me, then again I don't engineer cars.

Axel 03-12-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze (Post 12239)
just a speculation: I was thinking subaru may wait until the release of the FT86 to make a move, if FT86 will sell good they may think of doing the 216A may even be a AWD.

That makes a lot of sense to me. IF the base Toyota version sells for closer to $22k than $27k, I think Toyota will sell a boat load of these... there isn't any RWD coupe competition at that price that promises this weight & looks.

If that happens, it seems the way would be paved for Subaru to develop their AWD higher priced version and have a unique and great looking coupe to add to their model line.

Dark 03-12-2010 09:36 PM

I guess they might bring AWD as optional later after the RWD sell well. Anyway, Will Subaru goes with 2.5L boxer, since it is pricier than Toyota variant.

somecrazyazn 03-12-2010 09:49 PM

when did the price jump like 8k for the base models? hopefully they are gonna stay true to their original idea on pricing for around 20k base, and hopefully 25-27k g sport coupe =0

Jordo! 03-12-2010 10:53 PM

Oh well. Doesn't bother me.