Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   The Drive article on Q1 2022 GR86 Sales (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149347)

Bolobao 04-03-2022 11:45 AM

The Drive article on Q1 2022 GR86 Sales

The Drive Article:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/45041/...which-is-a-lot
Same info from Toyota Pressroom:
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...2022-us-sales/

Would be nice to see the actual number of units sold, glad to see the strong initial demand for the GR86!

*edit*
Noticed @fredzy in another post saw the actual sales figure in the second link. GR86 sales as of March 2022 3257

soundman98 04-03-2022 12:02 PM

First comment says 333 to 1001 units, meaning they sold an additional 668 units. Essentially 2 additional years of sales at the previous rate. Which makes sense considering the capacity delays, discontinuing the old model, and anticipation for the new model.

Really not that impressive once you look past the percentages.

Given the current climate, it'll be interesting to see the relationship between the delays and limited availability compared to year over year sales.

Typically new model releases have highest sales for the first 2-3 years, and then sales slowly taper off.
Previous gen followed that exact model

Dzmitry 04-04-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3514789)
First comment says 333 to 1001 units, meaning they sold an additional 668 units. Essentially 2 additional years of sales at the previous rate. Which makes sense considering the capacity delays, discontinuing the old model, and anticipation for the new model.

Really not that impressive once you look past the percentages.

Given the current climate, it'll be interesting to see the relationship between the delays and limited availability compared to year over year sales.

Typically new model releases have highest sales for the first 2-3 years, and then sales slowly taper off.
Previous gen followed that exact model

Yeah these percentages are garbage and useless practically in the case of this model with the new gen release. With shortages in the way and other factors at play, it is nearly impossible to make any kind of reasonable comparison. I would have been far more curious how it sold comparatively to the initial release of the first gen, but with the way things are, there is no such comparison to be made.

WolfpackS2k 04-04-2022 02:29 PM

Honestly, I think supply is a huge part of the equation here.

The Toyota dealership I went to on Friday still hasn't taken delivery of a single GR86. And I live in a fairly large metro area. Hell, I haven't seen a single one in person yet.

Robertw 04-04-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3515024)

The Toyota dealership I went to on Friday still hasn't taken delivery of a single GR86. And I live in a fairly large metro area. Hell, I haven't seen a single one in person yet.

I've only seen one in person, and the dealership I have an order in with has only received one shipment since the car launched.

timurrrr 04-04-2022 06:01 PM

Given the supply constraints, what's important is
1) vast majority of MT GR86s are claimed even before they arrive at dealerships
2) very few AT's sit on dealership lots for more than a few days
3) there are multi-month wait lists on GR86s in many places

Looks like they are selling as many as they make, and could sell quite a few more if they could make them.
At least for now there's more than enough demand.

soundman98 04-04-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3515022)
I would have been far more curious how it sold comparatively to the initial release of the first gen, but with the way things are, there is no such comparison to be made.

i really think sales numbers would be about the same if supply was able to keep up with demand. overall interest seems to be very close to the same as i remember interest being in 2012-13.

it'll be interesting to see if that interest keeps sales more consistent for a longer period of time.

CincyJohn 04-04-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

I’ve seen two on the road - one white, one black - both GR86 premiums. Saw a silver base AT on a dealership floor and a Trueno premium getting prepped for delivery. Haven’t seen a BRZ. When I pick up my Neptune, it will be the first time I’ve seen one in person. I am curious how long it will be before I see another on the road.

Dake 04-04-2022 10:51 PM

Yeah - the local BIG Toyota dealer near me has literally zero new cars on their lot (and only a few inside the showroom). Lots of used now, but they didn't even have any Tundras!

JesseG 04-21-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

It’s crazy isn’t it?! I’ve seen one, a BRZ. And I live in an area with a good amount of first gen twins!
I also see very few MkV Supras. I’m worried about how difficult it’s going to be to get a GR Corolla. As long as I can get a GR86 at some point I will be happy. Or a 2nd gen BRZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseG 04-21-2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dake (Post 3515104)
Yeah - the local BIG Toyota dealer near me has literally zero new cars on their lot (and only a few inside the showroom). Lots of used now, but they didn't even have any Tundras!

The Toyota dealership I’ve been going to for many years usually has 200+ new vehicles at a time. I think now they have about 20. And most of those are listed as “in transit”. Very crazy times. Buying right now doesn’t make very much sense, unless you absolutely need a new car.

fredzy 04-22-2022 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseG (Post 3518427)
Buying right now doesn’t make very much sense, unless you absolutely need a new car.

Wise words indeed. It's tricky though. I have a hard time envisioning things getting back to normal any time soon, so maybe we end up waiting a long time for that. But if the days of fun new ICE vehicles are numbered (as everyone loves to say) how long can we wait? MSRP starts looking real good.. and you have a Fantastic formula for FOMO frenzy.

Tcoat 04-22-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseG (Post 3518427)
The Toyota dealership I’ve been going to for many years usually has 200+ new vehicles at a time. I think now they have about 20. And most of those are listed as “in transit”. Very crazy times. Buying right now doesn’t make very much sense, unless you absolutely need a new car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredzy (Post 3518528)
Wise words indeed. It's tricky though. I have a hard time envisioning things getting back to normal any time soon, so maybe we end up waiting a long time for that. But if the days of fun new ICE vehicles are numbered (as everyone loves to say) how long can we wait? MSRP starts looking real good.. and you have a Fantastic formula for FOMO frenzy.

Is a better time to buy a new car than a used one though!
I hate to sound like a broken record (does that saying even mean anything to young people?) but it is not just the Twins affected by this. When Subaru closes orders for their most popular bread and butter vehicles (Impreza and Crosstrek) in March, an ordered Corolla takes up to six months to receive and you can't get a Chrysler minivan if your life depended on it you know that the market is a mess.
Our orders for OEM parts for the two best selling vehicles in North America literally change by the hour right now since they don't know how many they will be able to make from minute to minute.
The cars WILL come but everybody needs to understand that what was once "normal" is now just a vision of the past. This situation is going to last a while so we can all buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Sasquachulator 04-22-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredzy (Post 3518528)

What i dont get about the whole EV vs ICE situation and the so-called death of the ICE, is that...Theres barely any cars available and whatever is on the lots are gone right away....

How the heck are we supposed to have this mass transition towards EV when
1.) we dont have EV cars to transition to
2.) we dont have ICE cars to transition from

and wait lists for both are incredibly long right now (EV's are like 1 year out....your typical ICE is a few months out...and something like the Land Cruiser 300 series that was just released has like a 4 year wait time......)

And we're supposed to meet all these government mandated timelines of like 2030 for full EV transition and no more ICE sales?

These idiots in charge NEVER seem to take into account ANY logistical and manufacturing setback, the current supply chain issues, any potential setbacks in other related sectors (ie slow rollout of EV infrastructure) or even the fact that a giant chunk of the population isnt going to just drop their cars for an EV just to have an EV (they'll most likely drive whatever they have until they need to get something new)

I think things MIGHT be starting to normalize to some degree, (Im seeing it a bit in the computer space with graphics card prices dropping to more normal levels). But things dont just stop, they keep rolling and its only going to normalize one thing at a time though.

With that out of the way, i have seen a few ads for GR86's in my local car dealerships (mostly AT) ...they used to have more available at the beginning of the year though. And i've only ever seen 1 2022 BRZ on the road. Not sure if the dealers have any in stock right now.