Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Mechanical overrev, 9k (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145262)

ZDan 05-09-2021 11:11 AM

Mechanical overrev, 9k

Got 3rd instead of 5th at the track, saw 9k before clutching. Seemed to run ok after that for a few laps but then lost a ton of power. But only temporarily. Power cam back but dropped a lot again, as if ECU going into a limp mode. Sounds like some lifter noise at hot idle in pits.

Pondering:
Do I run 3lap TT? Just drive home 150 miles away, or have it flat towed to shop?

ZDan 05-09-2021 11:48 AM

Just listened to friend's same year 86 sounds same lifter noise so mildly encouraged...

Lost power on extended hard left and power loss felt similar to fuel starvation I've had before, but have just under 3/4 tank so...

NoHaveMSG 05-09-2021 12:02 PM

I've zinged mine about that hard before and it was okay. If it kissed a valve you'd know it, I don't see a lifter being an issue, they move almost nil.

gen3v8 05-09-2021 12:06 PM

I loose power after long hard left! The car gets a massive pop tune sound. I`m not sure if it`s a traction control shutdown or fueling issue

NoHaveMSG 05-09-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen3v8 (Post 3430924)
I loose power after long hard left! The car gets a massive pop tune sound. I`m not sure if it`s a traction control shutdown or fueling issue

This helps a LOT.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...e=2&category=1

TommyW 05-09-2021 01:42 PM

If everything sounds normal I wouldn't worry about it. If you broke something you'd know.

Cali Girl 05-09-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3430925)

Thank you

rice_classic 05-09-2021 02:59 PM

Rocker retainer may have come off which is typical on an over rev.

Some companies sell a revised rocker/retainer this not susceptible to this.
https://denstoj.com.au/products/fa20...r-retainer-kit

jflogerzi 05-09-2021 06:10 PM

I did a small money shift in the car this weekend in the AM. Car shrugged it off and I even managed to match my best AM time at 2:30 in the afternoon in 85-90f weather. Safe to say power seemed fine [emoji106]

If your going to do the fuel door flapper mod might as well replace the fuel pump while your in there.

As others said of she sounds fine then I would not worry.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

ZDan 05-09-2021 09:12 PM

I don't think it's fuel starvation. I went ahead and fuelled up and ran my 3-lap time trial, no prob. I did slower times than 1st practice this AM by 1 second but mainly because I was too tentative and worried, my fastest lap I actually didn't do the 4-5 shift on the front straight, which cost me 0.3 sec. Car seemed to behave normally during TT. I got 2nd in TT to a Hoosier-shod Miata (dedicated track car) by less than a tenth, DOH!

In open-track after TT, the power-loss coming out of turn 6 (NHMS, long heavily cambered left hander) happened again, with a nearly full tank. Hmmm...

Was able to capture it in log files via ECUtek (which I'm a total newb to), gonna send .csv log files to tuner to get an idea what's happenin. Seems like VVT might not be VVTing, doesn't sound like anything BAD is happening, it just goes limp.

TL/DR, it's still happenin and it aint' fuel starvation (I don't think)

jflogerzi 05-09-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3431028)
I don't think it's fuel starvation. I went ahead and fuelled up and ran my 3-lap time trial, no prob. I did slower times than 1st practice this AM by 1 second but mainly because I was too tentative and worried, my fastest lap I actually didn't do the 4-5 shift on the front straight, which cost me 0.3 sec. Car seemed to behave normally during TT. I got 2nd in TT to a Hoosier-shod Miata (dedicated track car) by less than a tenth, DOH!

In open-track after TT, the power-loss coming out of turn 6 (NHMS, long heavily cambered left hander) happened again, with a nearly full tank. Hmmm...

Was able to capture it in log files via ECUtek (which I'm a total newb to), gonna send .csv log files to tuner to get an idea what's happenin. Seems like VVT might not be VVTing, doesn't sound like anything BAD is happening, it just goes limp.

TL/DR, it's still happenin and it aint' fuel starvation (I don't think)

So it throws a code and goes into limp? If you were in limp you would be stuck below 4000 rpm

ZDan 05-09-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3431032)
So it throws a code and goes into limp? If you were in limp you would be stuck below 4000 rpm

No codes thrown, just loses power, then kinda recovers after a bit. *Almost* as if it were fuel starvation.

NoHaveMSG 05-09-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3431036)
No codes thrown, just loses power, then kinda recovers after a bit. *Almost* as if it were fuel starvation.

Weird. Is it easy to replicate? I would think if it was a VVT issue it would give you a code P00XX code for camshaft position correlation or response.

jflogerzi 05-09-2021 09:58 PM

Just cause you have a full tank you can still get fuel starvation
@CSG Mike