Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   What do you guys pay for insurance? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136358)

Howaitoguru 08-14-2019 09:12 PM

What do you guys pay for insurance?

So I hope I’m posting in the right spot; as this is a technical issue with our cars, and other sports cars. So is anyone else getting fucked out of $800 a month for full coverage? I have one major violation of reckless driving and next month the points will drop off my driving record. I’m 23 and I even got my mom to take over my insurance and lost me as a “secondary driver.” Only went down to $736. Please tell me I’m not the only one getting screwed by big money insurance agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strat61caster 08-14-2019 09:49 PM

Change companies, reduce coverages until your record cleans up, it's not like us telling you anything is going to give you a better rate, you have to go shop around.

Worst I ever had was like $200/month when I was a kid with a speeding ticket and an at fault collision that totalled two vehicles (less than $20k total value though). I just stopped driving until I got into college, then went on lowest tier progressive coverage for like $90/month until I bought this car and my record was clean, switched companies and was like $90/month for both cars for a few years then they started junking up rates.

Impureclient 08-14-2019 09:51 PM

Somebody will soon come along and explain how different States, ages, driving records, etc. will all be different and you will never figure it out by asking others by asking what they pay.
My sons girlfriend is paying something like $400 at 18. They said it was high due to not having a longer driving record and not living in the State long enough.
I paid $150 for a new car 21 years ago at 21 w/ full coverage and it stayed almost that full $150 until a couple years before I gave it to my son and I went to minimum coverage since it was so old.
It dropped to like $100. No idea why it didn't go down more as time passed as I had a decent driving record and as the car aged it's replacement value should have warranted a decrease in my insurance bill.

How they come up with what you pay seems like they have a big hat of numbers and pull out a random figure to me.

For this car in 2015, I added it to the insurance along with the older car and my work van. Not only did it all then drop to $90 total a month for full coverage on the 2015 FRS and minimum on the
other two but I was also adding brand new "sporty" type car at that.

My best guess now is in a couple years I think I'll add a Supra or mid engined Corvette to the stable and maybe it will drop to $75 for them all. Maybe something exotic and they'll have to pay me?

Will BRZ 08-14-2019 11:20 PM

Dude that’s insane. Way too much money. I would definitely shop around next month when you say the points will drop off your record.

At 18, I had a 2007 Accord and went to the most run down insurance place I could find to get the lowest rate...$350 a month for a 10 year old Honda sedan. (I think that’s what it was...can’t remember lol) It might not be that much, but still lol I got my license at 18 too so maybe the short driving history affected the rate. 2 years later and I still have a perfectly clean driving record though. There are so many factors that affect insurance rates

maslin 08-14-2019 11:22 PM

I’m 33, wife is 31. Nothing on our records for the past many years, currently Emerald Members on Progressive.

Full coverage on a 17 Tacoma TRD
Full coverage on a 17 brz
Full coverage on a 17 crf250l
Liability and comprehensive on a 83 Toyota 4x4

We pay $88 a month.

humfrz 08-14-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impureclient (Post 3247842)
Somebody will soon come along and explain how different States, ages, driving records, etc. will all be different and you will never figure it out by asking others by asking what they pay...…….

That pretty well sums it up.

humfrz

why? 08-15-2019 07:12 AM

Totally sums it up. There are dozens of insurance companies, get quotes from every single one and choose the cheapest. Insurance companies do not lower your rates ever no matter how long you've been with them any more. Only way to do that is to change companies every 6 months.

If your have a crappy driving record try General. The commercials are stupid but I pay $63 a month with a clean record and the car being a pleasure car with zero commuting miles ever for any reason no matter what. Every state is different, lots of states are using your credit rating, your zip code matters, you will never figure it out without getting a quote from all the companies you possibly can.

Howaitoguru 08-15-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why? (Post 3247967)
Totally sums it up. There are dozens of insurance companies, get quotes from every single one and choose the cheapest. Insurance companies do not lower your rates ever no matter how long you've been with them any more. Only way to do that is to change companies every 6 months.

If your have a crappy driving record try General. The commercials are stupid but I pay $63 a month with a clean record and the car being a pleasure car with zero commuting miles ever for any reason no matter what. Every state is different, lots of states are using your credit rating, you will never figure it out without getting a quote from all the companies you possibly can.

Unfortunately I went through a lot of them and a lot of places won’t even insure me.

why? 08-15-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howaitoguru (Post 3247969)
Unfortunately I went through a lot of them and a lot of places won’t even insure me.

when my sister moved back from living in London for 5 years the only company that would insure her was General. She had never been in an accident before that and had driven for 7 years or so before she left, but they don't care.

Howaitoguru 08-15-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why? (Post 3247971)
when my sister moved back from living in London for 5 years the only company that would insure her was General. She had never been in an accident before that and had driven for 7 years or so before she left, but they don't care.

I’ve been insured. I lost my license when I was 19 for doing a burnout sat in jail for 6 months. And now my insurance is fucked up. Literally last month it was $318 now it’s gone up to $800 and I don’t understand because I haven’t had any new tickets or accidents or anything.

why? 08-15-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howaitoguru (Post 3247973)
I’ve been insured. I lost my license when I was 19 for doing a burnout sat in jail for 6 months. And now my insurance is fucked up. Literally last month it was $318 now it’s gone up to $800 and I don’t understand because I haven’t had any new tickets or accidents or anything.

the company you are with decided they don't want to insure you. The fact you lost your license for a burnout means you should probably find a new state. That's pathetic.

Grady 08-15-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howaitoguru (Post 3247829)
$800 a month for full coverage?

I have one major violation of reckless driving, I’m 23

Insurance company may be the one that is getting F!

But seriously you are a high risk and in a “Sports Car”! You are going to have to do some shopping around once the points drop off. Then you will have to stay claim and ticket free for a while and keep working your rates down. The only other way to drop you rates at your age is to get married. I don’t recommend that option at your age, it is cheaper to pay the insurance company!

Dadhawk 08-15-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howaitoguru (Post 3247973)
I’ve been insured. I lost my license when I was 19 for doing a burnout sat in jail for 6 months.

Wait...are you saying you went to jail for six months for doing a burnout?

Howaitoguru 08-15-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3247980)
Wait...are you saying you went to jail for six months for doing a burnout?

Yeah to be fair it was from the culdesac all the way to the exit of my neighborhood in my old f150