Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Frs idle rpm fluctuation, vibration and fan/compressor noise, normal? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130665)

szjalo 10-05-2018 05:42 PM

Frs idle rpm fluctuation, vibration and fan/compressor noise, normal?

Hi all, very new here. I have a 2014 Scion FRS auto. recently noticed when the car is idling at working temperature with AC on, I can periodically (about every 7-10sec) hear the fan/compressor kicks in and makes a rather loud noise for couple secs. normally my car idles stably at 650rpm. whenever the compressor/fan noise comes alone, the rpm would jump to 900-1k, then quickly drops back within couple seconds, then repeat. Also a noticeable vibration on the steering wheel.

I brought my concern to the dealership but every time they tried to convince me this is normal. Is it really a normal phenomenon? Should this be regarded as rough idling?

Thank you a ton in advance!

milanojess 10-05-2018 06:16 PM

Seems so. Mine also gets noisy at idle, and rpm sometimes drops to near 500 and back.

HKz 10-05-2018 06:21 PM

very normal....4 banger & not the heaviest flywheel..happens with MT too

humfrz 10-05-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by szjalo (Post 3141095)
Hi all, very new here. I have a 2014 Scion FRS auto. recently noticed when the car is idling at working temperature with AC on, I can periodically (about every 7-10sec) hear the fan/compressor kicks in and makes a rather loud noise for couple secs. normally my car idles stably at 650rpm. whenever the compressor/fan noise comes alone, the rpm would jump to 900-1k, then quickly drops back within couple seconds, then repeat. Also a noticeable vibration on the steering wheel.

I brought my concern to the dealership but every time they tried to convince me this is normal. Is it really a normal phenomenon? Should this be regarded as rough idling?

Hi szjalo and welcome to our forum - :clap:

What your car is doing is quite normal. When the AC compressor engages, that puts an extra load on the engine and the engine increases in rpm to deal with the extra load (so it won't die). Then, the rpms settle back.

humfrz

NWFRS 10-05-2018 09:27 PM

Super normal. I thought my car was lugging at idle when I first got it.

Ultramaroon 10-05-2018 10:53 PM

Wait.

It has AC?

bcj 10-06-2018 11:10 AM

Yes. A Ford Explorer waiting in a parking lot yesterday was doing exactly the same.
Compressor would kick every 7-10 sec keeping the defroster going.
I thought it was weird because the V8 cycling sounded just like my boxer.

G-Na$ty 10-06-2018 11:17 AM

Hey, just wanted to pop in ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have my car tuned to OFT Stg2+ E85 and I also experience this same issue. I know the OFT is supposed to correct idle issues but I believe that may have been referencing it dipping and coming back. Is this normal for the OFT then as well?

PetrolioBenzina 10-06-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Na$ty (Post 3141289)
Hey, just wanted to pop in ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have my car tuned to OFT Stg2+ E85 and I also experience this same issue. I know the OFT is supposed to correct idle issues but I believe that may have been referencing it dipping and coming back. Is this normal for the OFT then as well?

Yes, totally normal.

extrashaky 10-06-2018 12:55 PM

It's normal.

How old is your battery? I ask because my rough idle smoothed out some when I replaced the garbage OEM battery. Mine used to stumble when I turned the headlights on, and the rough idle with A/C blowing was more pronounced when the lights were also on. After replacing the stock battery with an AGM, the extra stumble from putting a load on the alternator disappeared immediately.

G-Na$ty 10-06-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3141312)
It's normal.

How old is your battery? I ask because my rough idle smoothed out some when I replaced the garbage OEM battery. Mine used to stumble when I turned the headlights on, and the rough idle with A/C blowing was more pronounced when the lights were also on. After replacing the stock battery with an AGM, the extra stumble from putting a load on the alternator disappeared immediately.

My battery is about 4 months old so I don't think it's due to that. Haven't tested it though...

extrashaky 10-06-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Na$ty (Post 3141317)
My battery is about 4 months old so I don't think it's due to that. Haven't tested it though...

Then yours is probably just the normal weird idle.

G-Na$ty 10-06-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3141318)
Then yours is probably just the normal weird idle.

Thanks, good to know its a feature not a bug haha

Vital 10-06-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by szjalo (Post 3141095)

You can get this fixed with this TSB
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/atta...6&d=1386706237