Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Crickets and oil temps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102313)

go_a_way1 03-02-2016 10:05 AM

Crickets and oil temps

Hey guys. I found when my oil temps sit around 190F crickets are no where to be found, however when I remove the thermostat from my oil cooler and the oil gets up near 212F the crickets come back without fail. Could oil temps possibly have something to do with crickets? Has anyone else with an oil cooler noticed this.

Riftur 03-02-2016 10:20 AM

I would love to know if this is true. I see the same thing when I monitor it in my torque application. The crickets usually start when my oil hits 205-210. I am going to monitor it much more closely the next few days to get an exact temp.

lupindub 03-02-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2565936)
Hey guys. I found when my oil temps sit around 190F crickets are no where to be found, however when I remove the thermostat from my oil cooler and the oil gets up near 212F the crickets come back without fail. Could oil temps possibly have something to do with crickets? Has anyone else with an oil cooler noticed this.

Yep you nailed it freindo. My commute to work is approximately 10 minutes and I never get crickets since my oil temp. never gets to operating temperature. However, on the weekends when I go on longer drives and let the car get to operating temp., the crickets return. Crickets are definitely affected by oil temp.

ハチロク 03-02-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupindub (Post 2565987)
Yep you nailed it freindo. My commute to work is approximately 10 minutes and I never get crickets since my oil temp. never gets to operating temperature. However, on the weekends when I go on longer drives and let the car get to operating temp., the crickets return. Crickets are definitely affected by oil temp.

Unfortunately you guys have fallen into the trap of believing that correlation implies causality. It could be that oil temp affects crickets or that some other factor that happens to correlate with oil temp. Like for example rising temps in the high pressure fuel lines or some ecu mapping that kicks in after the engine has heated up. Can't really draw any conclusions unless there's a way to isolate the variable, in this case oil temp.

go_a_way1 03-02-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ハチロク (Post 2566024)
Unfortunately you guys have fallen into the trap of believing that correlation implies causality. It could be that oil temp affects crickets or that some other factor that happens to correlate with oil temp. Like for example rising temps in the high pressure fuel lines or some ecu mapping that kicks in after the engine has heated up. Can't really draw any conclusions unless there's a way to isolate the variable, in this case oil temp.

This is true haha!! We need some science all up in here stat

zc06_kisstherain 03-02-2016 11:23 AM

some people will buy oil cooler because go_a_way1 and vendors should pay him for marketing. j/k

stevesnj 03-02-2016 11:33 AM

The High Pressure Fuel Pump is driven by a lobe on the camshaft. The pump valve has a stem like an intake and exhaust valve and has a valve spring. So yes oil temp could affect the Pump noise.

http://www.revvolution.com/image/alb...jpg?layout=980

go_a_way1 03-02-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain (Post 2566035)
some people will buy oil cooler because go_a_way1 and vendors should pay him for marketing. j/k

LOL People should buy stuff just because I run it anyways.

All jokes aside I 100% believe anyone who drives their car more then 75% would greatly benefit from an oil cooler.

Decay107 03-02-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2566061)
LOL People should buy stuff just because I run it anyways.

All jokes aside I 100% believe anyone who drives their car more then 75% would greatly benefit from an oil cooler.

I don't know, It's pretty hard to heat soak on the street. Of course, an oil cooler should be installed well before even looking at a track.

go_a_way1 03-02-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decay107 (Post 2566081)
I don't know, It's pretty hard to heat soak on the street. Of course, an oil cooler should be installed well before even looking at a track.

I used to hit 260F on the street with little effort. Now granted that could have been easily avoidable if I changed my driving habits

justatroll 03-02-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ハチロク (Post 2566024)
Unfortunately you guys have fallen into the trap of believing that correlation implies causality.

Curses! Foiled again!

Now I cannot go around claiming that ambulances are the most dangerous vehicles on the roads.

That is because over 80% of the passengers that ride in ambulances end up in the hospital...

Decay107 03-02-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2566087)
I used to hit 260F on the street with little effort. Now granted that could have been easily avoidable if I changed my driving habits

:bow: I never saw over 240 and I was absolutely railing on it. Even then it stabilized quickly after I let up.

justatroll 03-02-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2566087)

Then there is something wrong with your car or you drive like mad max on the street.

I could not get my temps above 240 in 20 minute track events (not full blown race, and street tires).

go_a_way1 03-02-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decay107 (Post 2566112)
:bow: I never saw over 240 and I was absolutely railing on it. Even then it stabilized quickly after I let up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justatroll (Post 2566124)
Then there is something wrong with your car or you drive like mad max on the street.

I could not get my temps above 240 in 20 minute track events (not full blown race, and street tires).

Really?? I was also measuring temps right at the filter if that matters? and I was driving a little more aggressive then I should :scared0016: it was also a hot day with a mix of open roads and traffic.