Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Will there ever be a cheap tuning solution for the GR86 after Cobb's announcement? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149704)

jonboy99 05-07-2022 06:41 PM

Will there ever be a cheap tuning solution for the GR86 after Cobb's announcement?

I just read that Cobb will be restricting tuning capabilities of their accessports from now on to avoid legal repercussions.

I know they didn't produce a tuning solution for the first gen, but will other manufacturers be following in their footsteps and stop offering the ability to tune if it interferes with eco regs? Bit of a worrying development.

Lantanafrs2 05-07-2022 07:09 PM

I doubt it

Decep 05-08-2022 01:39 AM

Maybe from China sold on alibaba

mike2100 05-08-2022 03:51 AM

Without a tuning solution, there goes the aftermarket forced induction market. Hard to imagine.

Blighty 05-08-2022 08:23 PM

They just killed there business. Congrats to them.

I mean hasn't tuning always been officially a motorsports only thing really (without carb certification that is), and the liability of it is on those that drive it?

Kinda baffled.

Tcoat 05-08-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blighty (Post 3521720)
They just killed there business. Congrats to them.

I mean hasn't tuning always been officially a motorsports only thing really (without carb certification that is), and the liability of it is on those that drive it?

Kinda baffled.

The difference is that now the government is actually going to do something. This isn't new. The laws massively increasing the potential fines came out a couple of years ago.
They didn't "kill their business" it was murdered by the new laws.
If people had kept it to the track then it would never have come to this.

Lantanafrs2 05-08-2022 09:15 PM

Doesn't this effect only the carb tunes?

Ohio Enthusiast 05-08-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3521728)
Doesn't this effect only the carb tunes?

The other way around - CARB tunes should still be allowed. It's the non-CARB "off road" tunes that are seeing a crack down.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 05-08-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboy99 (Post 3521590)
I just read that Cobb will be restricting tuning capabilities of their accessports from now on to avoid legal repercussions.

I know they didn't produce a tuning solution for the first gen, but will other manufacturers be following in their footsteps and stop offering the ability to tune if it interferes with eco regs? Bit of a worrying development.

COBB only did FI cars anyway, they never did the twins....

soundman98 05-08-2022 11:47 PM

*Breaking News*
Illegal tunes restricted, everyone shocked toothless government bares teeth.

News at 11

DarkPira7e 05-08-2022 11:59 PM

Shiv isn't associated with Cobb ;)

DylanJZA 05-09-2022 12:52 AM

there will still be open source flashing, piggybacks, and standalones, but the overall sentiment should just be caution in terms of how it is being handled now vs the past.

OkieSnuffBox 05-09-2022 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3521723)
The difference is that now the government is actually going to do something. This isn't new. The laws massively increasing the potential fines came out a couple of years ago.
They didn't "kill their business" it was murdered by the new laws.
If people had kept it to the track then it would never have come to this.

We can really thank the "coal rollers" for this crackdown.

Tcoat 05-09-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox (Post 3521915)
We can really thank the "coal rollers" for this crackdown.

And the Ram truck forum is screaming "FUCKING RICERS".
There is simply no way to blame one certain group.
It is the sum total of everybody that felt "For off road use ONLY" did not apply to them or was just a industry inside joke. This includes the coal rollers, pop and bang tune posers, sports car crowd, muscle heads, and so on and so on. Not one or two sub groups.
The only group I can think of that would be exempt would be the "Let get the highest mileage possible through mods" Prius forum (yes that is a thing).

And just so that anybody thinks this is a new issue they were talking about this back in the late 70s when the emissions control stuff first appeared. The only difference was that all the tunes and mods were mechanical and not electronic back then so it was almost impossible for them to get evidence to enforce.