Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Warm air from vents (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26172)

blunova 01-11-2013 01:06 PM

Warm air from vents

Has anyone else noticed warm air coming through their vents? This is when the HVAC is completely off, and I seem to notice it more on the driver's side left vent. When I hold my hand up to it, I can feel warm air. I figured if the HVAC system is off, there shouldn't be any air coming through here, right? Is it warm because it's coming from the engine bay?

This has been happening since I bought the car in Dec, and it's starting to annoy me....

Neziah 01-11-2013 01:09 PM

Search would of found several threads about this, but anywise, push the re-circulation button, it shuts off the flow from the vents.

Chinadian 01-11-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neziah (Post 658811)
Search would of found several threads about this, but anywise, push the re-circulation button, it shuts off the flow from the vents.

wheres the re-circulation button?

My issue is that there isn't warm air going to the floor/feet vent even if I set it to feet only. So since its winter, My feet are always cold in the car, but my upper body is feeling hot...

l0aded 01-11-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinadian (Post 658959)
wheres the re-circulation button?

My issue is that there isn't warm air going to the floor/feet vent even if I set it to feet only. So since its winter, My feet are always cold in the car, but my upper body is feeling hot...

Bottom Left knob center button. The one with the cycle button in the car.

Neziah 01-11-2013 04:06 PM

yeP, that shuts off the free flow through the vents when you have the fan shut off. I use it all the time in warmer weather when it is not hot enough to use the AC to stop that warm air. I really wish you could get cool outside air through the vents, but that is how it works. My last car was that way too.

If you can't figure it out, look at the page in the manual that shows and labels all the buttons where the fan/heater controls are. That will help.

blunova 01-11-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neziah (Post 658811)

I'm sorry. I actually did try searching and didn't find anything. Maybe I was using the wrong terms. Thanks for helping, though.

In my old car I was able to bring in air from the outside. Don't like how you can't do this here. I have fixed it with the recirculation button before, but I don't get why it's coming in in the first place. When everything is off you should have no air blowing at all.

chenshuo 01-11-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunova (Post 659421)
I'm sorry. I actually did try searching and didn't find anything. Maybe I was using the wrong terms. Thanks for helping, though.

In my old car I was able to bring in air from the outside. Don't like how you can't do this here. I have fixed it with the recirculation button before, but I don't get why it's coming in in the first place. When everything is off you should have no air blowing at all.

it's like that so you won't suffocate to death.

whataboutbob 01-11-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neziah (Post 659215)
yeP, that shuts off the free flow through the vents when you have the fan shut off. I use it all the time in warmer weather when it is not hot enough to use the AC to stop that warm air. I really wish you could get cool outside air through the vents, but that is how it works. My last car was that way too.

If you can't figure it out, look at the page in the manual that shows and labels all the buttons where the fan/heater controls are. That will help.

Same issues here. If it is too hot, roll down the windows some.

root 01-12-2013 03:04 PM

Iwondered about this too, the fact that air comes out is expected and normal, but that it's warm was a little interesting. It feels like the heater valve isn't completely closed, but maybe it does really get that warm above the hood and the fresh air Intake is taking in air that is that warm?

jflogerzi 01-12-2013 03:21 PM

Its normal. This has been discussed before.

bryan 01-13-2013 04:48 AM

You guys are gonna love this...

The HVAC unit in the FRS/BRZ twins operate exactly the same way as Toyotas of past. The temperature of air blowing out the vents has to do with whatever temperature the HVAC is set to when off. Therefore, by turning on your fan controller and turning the temperature down to LO and then turning the fan off, you will get cool air blowing into the cabin rather than hot air.

So if you are experiencing hot air blowing into your cabin from the air vents when HVAC is off, perform the following:
1. Turn on the fan speed. This can be at any level, I prefer one notch.
2. Turn down the temperature. The lower the temperature, the cooler the air that blows out of your vents.
3. Turn off your HVAC system.

The temperature of the air coming out of your vents should now reflect what the HVAC controls were set to before you turned the system off.

Even when off, the HVAC is constantly blowing air into the cabin. That temperature of air is what you last set your settings to.

The works inversely as well. If you want warm air slightly blowing in on a cold day but don't want the fan working or HVAC system on, you can turn the system on briefly to set your desired temperature.

This is how the HVAC system works on all of our Toyotas with automatic climate control and now also the BRZ.

I hope this helps. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Jaylyons1 01-13-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenshuo (Post 659424)
it's like that so you won't suffocate to death.

:lol:

radroach 04-16-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan (Post 661928)
You guys are gonna love this...

The HVAC unit in the FRS/BRZ twins operate exactly the same way as Toyotas of past. The temperature of air blowing out the vents has to do with whatever temperature the HVAC is set to when off. Therefore, by turning on your fan controller and turning the temperature down to LO and then turning the fan off, you will get cool air blowing into the cabin rather than hot air.

So if you are experiencing hot air blowing into your cabin from the air vents when HVAC is off, perform the following:
1. Turn on the fan speed. This can be at any level, I prefer one notch.
2. Turn down the temperature. The lower the temperature, the cooler the air that blows out of your vents.
3. Turn off your HVAC system.

The temperature of the air coming out of your vents should now reflect what the HVAC controls were set to before you turned the system off.

Even when off, the HVAC is constantly blowing air into the cabin. That temperature of air is what you last set your settings to.

The works inversely as well. If you want warm air slightly blowing in on a cold day but don't want the fan working or HVAC system on, you can turn the system on briefly to set your desired temperature.

This is how the HVAC system works on all of our Toyotas with automatic climate control and now also the BRZ.

I hope this helps. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

This was very true in my Toyota Camry. I'll try in my brz, thanks for the tip!

Huehuecoyotl 04-16-2013 01:17 PM

betting its the foam surround on the recirc door...