Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Doing an Auto to Manual transmission swap on my 2020 BRZ. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149715)

premebrz 05-08-2022 11:59 PM

Doing an Auto to Manual transmission swap on my 2020 BRZ.

Good day everyone,

Has anyone here did an Auto to Manual trans swap on their whip yet? I currently have a 2020 Subaru BRZ AT and been wanting to swap the trans to MT. I've did a google search and I was led to someone over here completing an AT to MT swap.. but my question is:

Do I really have to change my Chassis Harness, and Dash Harness?

I've read a forum over here stating that the 2013-2016 AT and MT both chassis and dash harness are the same...

22R 05-09-2022 06:34 AM

Sell current car. Buy one with Manual transmission. 2 simple moves.

22R

Espi 05-09-2022 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premebrz (Post 3521751)
Good day everyone,

Has anyone here did an Auto to Manual trans swap on their whip yet? I currently have a 2020 Subaru BRZ AT and been wanting to swap the trans to MT. I've did a google search and I was led to someone over here completing an AT to MT swap.. but my question is:

Do I really have to change my Chassis Harness, and Dash Harness?

I've read a forum over here stating that the 2013-2016 AT and MT both chassis and dash harness are the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEtMdvZJMM

Good luck!

alex87f 05-09-2022 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22R (Post 3521781)

22R

This ^

I wonder if putting a shorter rear end would work as a stopgap measure (I wouldn’t mind the AT so much, but the gearing would be the nonstarter for me).

CincyJohn 05-09-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Sell current car. Buy one with Manual transmission. 2 simple moves. 22R

There is no way this could make financial sense. FWIW - I'm not opposed to the concept. My 2000 Audi A6 2.7t manual was bought by someone who was going to swap the manual into an S6 (which only came to the U.S. in Avant (wagon) and automatic form). But when you literally could sell your car and buy more or less the same thing with a factory manual and save at least a couple of thousand (and an immense amount of time and headaches) in the process, it is difficult to fathom.

Of course, if you know what you are getting into and why, more power to you!:w00t:

Tcoat 05-09-2022 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CincyJohn (Post 3521812)
There is no way this could make financial sense. FWIW - I'm not opposed to the concept. My 2000 Audi A6 2.7t manual was bought by someone who was going to swap the manual into an S6 (which only came to the U.S. in Avant (wagon) and automatic form). But when you literally could sell your car and buy more or less the same thing with a factory manual and save at least a couple of thousand (and an immense amount of time and headaches) in the process, it is difficult to fathom.

Of course, if you know what you are getting into and why, more power to you!:w00t:

Neither method makes financial sense though.
It isn't exactly a cheap straight swap situation.
On the other hand this is not the time in automotive history to be selling off one car to buy the same thing with a different transmission either.
You need to really, REALLY want that MT.

Grady 05-09-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

22R

X3

Grady 05-09-2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3521821)
Neither method makes financial sense though.
It isn't exactly a cheap straight swap situation.
On the other hand this is not the time in automotive history to be selling off one car to buy the same thing with a different transmission either.
You need to really, REALLY want that MT.

Going from like car to like car he may be able to come out ok. As long as he can live without that car for a while or buy the manual one prior to selling the auto.

Tcoat 05-09-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3521835)
Going from like car to like car he may be able to come out ok. As long as he can live without that car for a while or buy the manual one prior to selling the auto.

Normally yes I would 100% agree with this. Right now not so much. Yes people are getting better value when selling or trading used cars but the price of buying a different one went up even more.
I would however still go that route over doing a tranny swap as it will probably be way cheaper in the long run.

soundman98 05-09-2022 08:33 PM

the only semi-justifiable reason for a manual swap is if the particular vehicle model/trim didn't come with it, but a similar variant did.

but it's still not financially viable, no matter what

Tcoat 05-09-2022 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3521945)
the only semi-justifiable reason for a manual swap is if the particular vehicle model/trim didn't come with it, but a similar variant did.

but it's still not financially viable, no matter what

What is financially "viable" is completely up to the individual but ya it is sort of a waste of money in the long run even if you have cash to burn.
Sell and buy a newer model makes far more sense.

premebrz 05-09-2022 09:12 PM

I can't sell it. The car was gifted to me, and it's very sentimental. Selling it is not an option. I'd rather change the trans and DIY than sell and buy a new one.

premebrz 05-09-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espi (Post 3521792)

:thanks:

Tcoat 05-10-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premebrz (Post 3521955)
I can't sell it. The car was gifted to me, and it's very sentimental. Selling it is not an option. I'd rather change the trans and DIY than sell and buy a new one.

Those are extenuating circumstances and change everything then.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/xUyST...3BMq3K/200.gif