Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   anyone fit a bike rack yet? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11590)

earthsscum 07-14-2012 02:03 AM

anyone fit a bike rack yet?

knowing Subaru a factory one should be in the works but a hitch is likely to be on the market soon. Anyone using one yet?

Mitch 07-14-2012 02:07 AM

I contacted CURT about a month ago, and they hadn't started development for a Class 1 hitch at that time. I'd love to find a Class 1 for the BRZ platform to put a clean bike rack on or maybe even tow a small single axle tailer (since this will be my only vehicle soon).

Zadkiel 07-14-2012 03:54 AM

I won't get one, but a bicycle can fit with the back seats folded. I have a Cervelo TT bike and all I had to do was remove the front and rear tires(both are quick release) and loosen 3 allen bolts to take off the handlebars and I was done. I don't think a normal roadbike needs the bars removed. The issue was the extra length of the time trials' aero bars.

choi0706 07-14-2012 12:50 PM

I'm interested in a trailer hitch as well.. but I'm afraid my thule rack will scrape everywhere..

sdiver68 07-14-2012 01:13 PM

Patiently awaiting a non-scratch solution for 1-2 mountain bikes myself.

streetwaves 07-14-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zadkiel (Post 314749)
I won't get one, but a bicycle can fit with the back seats folded. I have a Cervelo TT bike and all I had to do was remove the front and rear tires(both are quick release) and loosen 3 allen bolts to take off the handlebars and I was done. I don't think a normal roadbike needs the bars removed. The issue was the extra length of the time trials' aero bars.

This might be interesting. I'm coming from a MK6 Golf and I can fit my steel road bikes (one at a time, of course) easily. If I can do the same in the BRZ that'll be great, and feel a little less like I lost something.

ChrisH 07-14-2012 05:22 PM

Would be also eager to learn, if a standard race bike can be loaded with folded back seats. I wonder, if the roadbar will create an issue, as the trunk is not as high as the width of a roadbar (right??). I certainly would remove the front wheel, so the roadbar can me turned. (So probably its not an issue, but you never know until you give it a try...)
Anyone tried out, if removal of the rear wheel is really necessary?

Khyron686 07-14-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisH (Post 315404)
Anyone tried out, if removal of the rear wheel is really necessary?

Absolutely have to remove both wheels. Why is that a big deal? You don't even need to touch the chain usually.

earthsscum 07-14-2012 10:08 PM

i do mtn bike and would like to keep my interior clean but I'm certain it would fit with both tires removed..I'm hoping a roof rack will be available as a hitch might be too low but i guess we will see..guess I'm not the only one waiting though

philip9175 07-14-2012 10:17 PM

This might be a possible solution I'm looking at getting, because i'm going to need to haul 2 mountain bikes each ride, wouldn't be able to fit them both inside the car.

http://www.saris.com/components/com_...9e7f6b4f8e.jpg

Saris Bones 3 RS

But the only thing i would make sure i did first was apply 3M protection to the boot and the top of the rear bumper to make sure it doesnt scratch the paint

sdiver68 07-14-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyron686 (Post 315846)
Absolutely have to remove both wheels. Why is that a big deal? You don't even need to touch the chain usually.

Mountain bikes get very dirty or muddy. I'd rather not subject my nice sports car interior to that kind of dirt.

Khyron686 07-14-2012 10:36 PM

Tarps are cheap - I'd have one down even if the bike was clean.

That said I'm definitely interested in a class 1 hitch as I have a swagman platform carrier that worked great on my Jetta. 2 mins to install, and no worries about hitting the roof of a garage/drive-thru etc.

YW-Slayer 07-15-2012 04:24 AM

I have a Bones 3, which I use with the Legacy. It's good, but the top 2 rubber bits do result in some minor scratching (which can usually be polished away).

ChrisH 07-15-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyron686 (Post 315846)

Not a problem - I am just lazy ;) and wouldn't remove the rear wheel, if there is no need to do so ....

In my little BMW I get the bike in with only the front wheel removed. So that's why I just wonder, if the BRZ's trunk is really much shorter (after folding the back seats in both cars).....