Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Sealant Recommendations for Black Paint (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147594)

Hurricane Nate 12-09-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest72 (Post 3487478)
Black cars are a second job. I have the same thing on my silver car but you don’t see it as much. Not much you can do except for cleaning it all the time. I have had 2 black cars, never again. They look the best clean, but rarely are clean.

THIS!!! I try to only wash mine every other weekend. So much work, but it looks so good when it's actually clean

Sam86 01-14-2022 02:14 AM

I gave up on wax’s and sealants. Spent a lot of money trying various types. In the end some had decent results but just wouldn’t last no matter how many layers I put on.

Ended up buying a cheap DA polisher and a bottle of Car Pro Quartz Sic and I recommend anyone else with a black car to do the same.

Car looks great, water runs off the panel, can blow dry the car completely clean.

Rained today then had harsh sun and the car still looked clean with minimal water spots which just washed off with a garden hose.
- Looks infinitely better than it did in the same circumstances when I had 3 layers of Turtle Wax sealant/ ceramic spray with graphene spray over the top- with that combo still requiring a hand wash with a pressure washer to fully remove the water spots.

Don’t waste your time and money with these products as your main protection, just do a DIY paint correction and ceramic coating. Extremely happy with the results and I had 0 experience using a polishing machine or applying a ceramic coating

Decep 01-21-2022 05:39 PM

You're still gonna get water spots with ceramic coating... if there's dirt on your car and it rains and it beads, youre going to see that.

Sam86 01-22-2022 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3498644)
You're still gonna get water spots with ceramic coating... if there's dirt on your car and it rains and it beads, youre going to see that.

Yes, but in my experience so far the visibility of the water spots is like 25% as visible compared to when I only had spray wax/graphene coatings.

I can also reduce that 25% further with a quick garden hose spray and touchless dry with a leaf blower - The spray waxes required me to use a pressure washer and even then it was still more visible compared to the real ceramic coating. The leaf blower was only about 70% as effective on spray waxes, and only if it was within a few days of applying it

Like I said, i've probably spent a few $100 on upkeeping my car with spray waxes, trying to find the best one and never being satisfied.

DA Polisher cost me $100 on sale - Ceramic coating cost me $120 with another $150 spent on a cut/polish pad, clay bar, fallout spray and cut/polish compound. (AUS prices not USD)

Not only am I extremely satisfied with the result, the car is also in a better condition from the paint correction, and I have left overs to re apply in a year if required

Decep 01-22-2022 04:04 PM

It's hard to beat the satisfaction of getting rid of all those swirls and scuffs. I recently upgraded my porter cable to the Griots G9 and am happy with it.

I haven't seen a huge advantage with ceramic coatings over the spray, besides longevity. But even the coatings longevity claims are BS. Too much snake oil in the ceramic coating industry for my taste.