Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Full FRS test (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141774)

Efarth 08-05-2020 03:42 AM

Full FRS test

Hi, all,

NO, I haven't driven the FR-S or BRZ. But I know that the difference comes down the suspension tuning. Which to me should not be the factor in which to decide which car to buy.

Why do I want the BRZ?

1. Have you looked at the FR-S headlights?
2. The interior on the BRZ is worth the small premium for me
3. I like the idea of a Subaru with a Subaru engine

Now say the FR-S spring rates are better tuned for the track over the BRZ. Yes, that sucks for BRZ owners who plan to keep the BRZ the way it is. I'm definitely not going to be one of them. The stock BRZ suspension won't be staying in the car for long. I don't think the FR-S is a better car then the BRZ because of the suspension differences. There are other things to consider.

As for the 0-60 time differences. I have no idea why the BRZ is slower than the FR-S. Is the gearing not the same? Could be a million variables.

If anyone is going to get the FR-S over the BRZ because it goes to 60 a bit faster or oversteers a bit more then the BRZ go ahead. For me, those are all variables. I can change those, and I plan to regardless of which model I buy. As for the external and interior differences, yes you can change those too. I don't plan to change the headlights on the BRZ or FR-S so I'll pick the one I like more.

Whichever performance suspension I decide to put on the BRZ will likely make it a better handling car then both the stock BRZ or FR-S.

Joveen 08-05-2020 04:27 AM

I will say that from experience which ever you choose just get one that's cheap. At the end of the day they're both the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

churchx 08-05-2020 05:12 AM

If it's restyle, then 86 & brz shocks/springrates are same.
Acceleration differences .. maybe brz more often comes in richer trim (foglights, heated alcantara seats (especially later rather heavy)) and due that? Gearing was same for all years for same tranny type (AT a bit longer gears). FD changed for restyle for MT, but changed for both 86 & brz with MT.
Imho stock suspension is not that bad (especially in kouki). Well, if you are so set on upgrade nevertheless, suggest to not cheap out on bad quality chinese dampers or to not overlower. If you mention handling, i guess it matters to you, not worth fsck it up for sake of arguable looks.

why? 08-05-2020 06:32 AM

It's slower because it is heavier.
2013 FRS = 2758 lbs
2020 BRZ limited= 2795 lbs
2020 BRZ tS= 2833 lbs

The suspension is the same as of 2015 and after, except on special models and BRZ PP cars. The aftermarket suspension you should look at start at CSG Tein Flex A & RCE Superstreet 1, which are both about $1500 and go up from there. For handling purposes that's the least expensive that will be better than the stock suspension in my opinion. Anything priced lower than that needs custom specs to compete and would end up costing you more.

One last note, if you are going to heavily mod the car just buy the least expensive example still in good shape you can find. Only note to that is the 2017 changes are supposedly at least worth looking at, apparently they are very good.

DarkPira7e 08-05-2020 07:40 AM

1. I think the FRS headlights are way better than the BRZ if you paint the housings ( not highbeam reflector) black. This is subjective (unless you're talking about the performance of the LEDs... haha, BRZ owns this)

2. The interior definitely is better in the newer BRZ than the older FRS interior

3. Yeah, matching the brand with the engine manufacturer IS a good idea.

They drive the same, seriously. I've driven several on the street that were unmodified and was convinced the only difference was more or less just street mileage and bushing deflection.

Get the car you like more, there's nothing wrong with having a preference and there's no need to justify it :) Just like some people like VW Jettas or swear by the Saab name, if you're the one driving it, you don't need to feel validated by anyone else but yourself.

Also, do not buy into one car being faster than the other- if you line them up, it definitely will come down to precision. Be the better driver and you'd win, simple as that. Best of luck in your search, these cars are incredible and are worth the effort of taking your time to find exactly what suits you best

sharpsicle 08-05-2020 08:47 AM

@Efarth, your profile says you drive a 2013 FR-S. Is that not the case? I only ask because it's a bit of a moot point if you've already picked one up.

YamahaR86 08-05-2020 12:19 PM

Also the new tech makes them heavier - slower. Backup cameras are standard since 2016? Steering wheel controls. Not sure about the other tech. Do they come with the lane assist thing? Blind side detection and all that?

I prefer the FR-S front bumper "fangs" over the 86 but if I were to pick another one up it'd probably be a BRZ.

Funny thing you say a subie engine with subie car. I'm the opposite, a trueno/GT2000 successor with a toyota car.

Dadhawk 08-05-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 3355176)
Funny thing you say a subie engine with subie car. I'm the opposite, a trueno/GT2000 successor with a toyota car.

Well, either model is a "subie engine with subie car" unless somehow the badges transform the car beyond a few minor cosmetic and minor performance tweaks one way or the other.

KR-S 08-07-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3355182)
Well, either model is a "subie engine with subie car" unless somehow the badges transform the car beyond a few minor cosmetic and minor performance tweaks one way or the other.

Even the Toyota badges say Subaru behind them!