Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Which parts are Toyota, and which parts are Subaru? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77338)

Itzed 11-08-2014 08:46 PM

Which parts are Toyota, and which parts are Subaru?

We all know the boxer engine is Subaru, and the direct injection is Toyota, but beyond that, what is what? I was following another thread about learning stick where wearing out the clutch was discussed, and having a lot of experience with Subarus, I felt like commenting not to worry, because the throw out bearing will wear out way before the clutch anyway. But then it occurred to me, I'm thinking of this car as a total Subaru, when in fact I don't even know if it's really a Subaru clutch!

CoupedUpSubie 11-08-2014 10:07 PM

From what I found the OEM clutch is an Exedy clutch(same company Subaru uses). From what I know the parts that lean towards one manufacturer are as follows.

Subaru:
engine
headlights(limited are adjustable like the STi)
wheel studs(12x1.25)

Toyota:
rear diff
direct injection
keyless entry

The rest of the car was custom designed(unibody does take after a Subaru) to be what it is or suitable parts sourced such as the Aisin transmission.

VacantSky 11-08-2014 10:56 PM

The ecu/electrical system is toyota. For instance the turn signal stalk has toyota stamped on it. I found this while switching a fog light turn stalk in to my car. I'm willing to bet the wiper stalk is the same thing and a lot of the electrical components.

radroach 11-08-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itzed (Post 2015480)
Subaru, Toyota, but beyond that, what is what?

Denso for generic parts, Exedy clutch, guessing Takata airbag.

Ultramaroon 11-08-2014 11:38 PM

The 3 knobs for the cabin hvac and probably all the related stuff is Toyota.

Chassis/suspension is Subaru. Clutch and pedal cluster are also Subaru

shiumai 11-09-2014 12:02 AM

The FR-S badge is subaru - someone here had a pic of the back.

Jar 11-09-2014 12:09 AM

I believe the electric steering is lifted from some lexis models. I also believe the 6-speed gearbox is an IS250 part. I could be wrong on both counts.

Bobblehead 11-09-2014 12:28 AM

If I learned anything from the Internet, everything that breaks is a Subaru part, and everything that doesn't is Toyota.

Ultramaroon 11-09-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jar (Post 2015612)
I believe the electric steering is lifted from some lexis models. I also believe the 6-speed gearbox is an IS250 part. I could be wrong on both counts.

Here's the story on the tranny. It started out as an AZ6 (IS250) but it was totally redesigned for the twin.
Were we (and Aisin) wrong about the BRZ / FR-S / GT 86 manual transmission? Or is Scion?

Dwood11 11-09-2014 12:58 AM

Um WRX platform? Bueller.......bueller?

OmarGC 11-09-2014 01:08 AM

Trans is an asin tl70

Jegan_V 11-09-2014 04:18 AM

This thread has done a good job at showing most of the important components.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71898

extrashaky 11-09-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VacantSky (Post 2015564)
The ecu/electrical system is toyota. For instance the turn signal stalk has toyota stamped on it. I found this while switching a fog light turn stalk in to my car. I'm willing to bet the wiper stalk is the same thing and a lot of the electrical components.

I rented a Camry last week. I think all the stalks were the same, including the cruise control. I rent cars a lot for my job, so every time I drive something new I have to figure out where things are. It was strange to get into the Camry for the first time and already know where all the controls were.

wbradley 11-09-2014 11:11 AM

Denso electrial parts and Aisin tranny all fall under the Toyota umbrella I believe.

So in general, fuel injection, much electrical and tranny is Toyota. Also, various switch gear.

Chassis, suspension, engine and virtually everything else Subaru.

Concept and styling Toyota. Execution and assembly Subaru.

Safe to say neither could have made this car without the other. Financially, Subaru needed Toyota. For the boxer engine and available production facilities Toyota needed Subaru.

Toyota conceived the idea, Subaru eventually capitulated. This is probably the most visible benefit of Toyota acquiring 17% stake in Subaru.