Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How Does the Alfa 4C Stack Up Against the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S & Porsche Cayman? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56008)

vh_supra26 01-18-2014 05:57 PM

How Does the Alfa 4C Stack Up Against the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S & Porsche Cayman?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI-WkHBUFN4"]Alfa Romeo 4C vs Porsche Cayman vs Toyota GT86 / Scion FT86 - sportscar shootout - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:

As the newest arrival and first sensibly priced (affordable might be kind of a stretch) rear-wheel driven Alfa Romeo since, well, the days of the Spider in the 1990s, the new mid-engine 4C has attracted some well-deserved attention from the press and gearheads alike, but does it make the cut against the competition?

That's what Autocar magazine's Steve Sutcliffe set to find out, at least partially, and by that, we mean on a twisty track.

Taking into consideration its mechanical layout and entry price in the UK at £45,000 (equal to $73,900 / €54,600), the 237hp Alfa 4C's direct competitor is a no brainer: the £41,616 ($68,400 / €50,500) Porsche Cayman (you can see how Carscoops readers voted in a poll between the two models here).

Just to shuffle things up and make the video review a bit more intriguing, Sutcliffe also brought along the Toyota GT 86 (Scion FR-S in North America). While not a real challenger to the 4-cylinder Alfa, it does have an excellent fun-to-price ratio that's really hard to overlook.

Since you don’t like spoilers, we'll just let take a look at the video below and then by all means, head to the comments for your thoughts.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/01/how...inst_9992.html

fatoni 01-18-2014 07:25 PM

it seemed like all they wanted to do was drift so im not too surprised they didnt like the short wheelbase, rear weight bias, or turbo. i cant see liking the alfa if that is the case. it was refreshing to see a comparison not talk about objective performance at all though.

chaoskaze 01-18-2014 07:33 PM

Saw this yesterday, despite all that. I think we will still see most ppl pick the alfa if money isn't a issue.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

993Fan 01-19-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoskaze (Post 1461557)
despite all that. I think we will still see most ppl pick the alfa if money isn't a issue

No stick, no deal.

Celica00 01-19-2014 12:55 AM

spend 10 grand extra on the FRS and you have 1. the most fun. 2. the best performance. 3. 10 grand to spare.

utekineir 01-19-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celica00 (Post 1462198)
spend 10 grand extra on the FRS and you have 1. the most fun. 2. the best performance. 3. 10 grand to spare.

4) a scion

chaoskaze 01-19-2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 993Fan (Post 1462172)
No stick, no deal.

Ya, but I think lots ppl (outside us especially) will just buy it cuz it's an alfa. /wink

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

fatoni 01-19-2014 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celica00 (Post 1462198)

stop it. this happens at pretty much every level of car cost. for the price of the frs you can have a supercharged track ready miata. its not the point.

DarkSunrise 01-19-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatoni (Post 1462309)
stop it. this happens at pretty much every level of car cost. for the price of the frs you can have a supercharged track ready miata. its not the point.

Not new you can't. (His original point was comparing new v. new). But I agree with your general premise that modified vs. stock is pointless.

fatoni 01-19-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 1462866)
Not new you can't. (His original point was comparing new v. new). But I agree with your general premise that modified vs. stock is pointless.

i was talking about a new miata. i guess if the prices of the frs have dropped it might not work but at the time of my purchase, you could get a supercharged miata with intake, full exhaust, clutch, shocks, springs, sways and a roll bar for about 27. it might not be the case now but you can still take a new miata a lot faster than a stock twin.

you can definitely buy a stock car for cheaper than the frs that will be faster but with the miata, you also get to check the more reliable and more fun boxes and still have some change.

i think the fundamental issue is that people most likely are naturally logarithmic in nature but are forced to think with linear values. in my head, thats explains our inherent misunderstanding of diminishing returns.

ultra 01-19-2014 04:58 PM

Depemding on the market you're in, a brand new Miata doesn't cost necessarily cost that much less than the Twins do.

IIRC the NC miata seems to top out at around 250whp at the crank with basic aftermarket bolt on forced induction kits, whereas similar kits on the Twins can get 250 at the wheels.

Since the Alfa's turbocharged from the factory it should probably be easy to get an extra horsepower out of it with a simple chip tune.

That Cayman S - far and away the best car in the test but just too rich for my blood. I have 10k in my 86 and it's fantastic, but it's still no Cayman S. Still doesn't cost anywhere near as much as a Cayman S does though.

EAGLE5 01-19-2014 05:06 PM

The alfa is hot sex. I'd love to have one. That said, the porker is the superior car. I'd buy a vette c7 before either.

suaveflooder 01-19-2014 05:14 PM

I'm honestly waiting for ANY video with good tires on the 86! Why do they always track it on crappy eco tires and then compare it to cars that come factory with better rubber?

Boxer486 01-19-2014 05:14 PM

A new stock Club PRHT costs $29.5K. I don't know the hell you $27K w/ a blower, suspension, intake, exhaust. roll bar and clutch. You tack welding coat hangers in your garage?

Quicker, but not faster. A miata will never have the high speed stability and aero efficiency of the FRS let alone the corner exit speed. If you want fun and nimble, get a Lotus or MR2. Miata is just a poser car by comparison. Once you go lightweight MR, all things Miata are just a joke.