Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Aftermarket Steering Wheel/QR Experiences? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86149)

HachiRo 04-05-2015 04:48 PM

Aftermarket Steering Wheel/QR Experiences?

Heavily debating (mass-debating :lol:) about going with an aftermarket steering wheel/Quick release combo. Never done that to a car before so I've never had any personal experiences in terms of pros and cons with it.

Anybody here wanna chime in with their experiences using a quick release combo in their FRS or even past cars?

Any bad experiences dealing with accidents, insurance, or the steering wheel somehow coming off while driving? LOL.

ryoma 04-05-2015 04:58 PM

Don't buy one off ebay that's like $50 if you really want one. Though, I wouldn't recommend a quick release unless race car. Major brands like NRG and Works Bell use ball bearings to lock it in place so I doubt the wheel would randomly loosen off in the middle of driving. I'm not sure how much the Works Bell one weighs, but the NRG one is pretty heavy and extends the extra weight past the steering column which might be a con for some people.

Personally, I like the look of the Sparco quick release and how it uses teeth to mesh instead of bearings. I don't really see how many times you'll be using the quick release in a street car though unless you're a bigger guy that can't fit in the car without moving the steering wheel away (shouldn't be a problem in newer cars due to the adjustability they offer).

NWFRS 04-05-2015 06:33 PM

Oh man.

I see riced-out Civics and Eclipses almost every time I go to a grocery store. They always detach the wheel and leave it on their dash.

Because race car.

Just be careful to not be "that guy".

Joeyk 04-05-2015 07:02 PM

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...98F9FAA0BC.jpg

I like mine. Sparco hub doesn't fit without modification.
Works bell is what I'm going with.

brandonblt2 04-05-2015 07:29 PM

Whats the point in having a quick release steering wheel if your car is not a dedicated track car. You are removing an airbag that can potentially save your life, pretty sure insurance wont like covering someone with a missing airbag. Unless you wear a helmet and a 6 point harness all the time...

ryoma 04-05-2015 08:06 PM

If only there was a more OEM solution for a smaller diameter steering wheel. the stock one still feels a little bit big for me. I had a 280mm Momo in my previous car and that felt perfect. After having a car with an airbag and cruise control, I would rather keep it than changing out for an aftermarket. I think the reason many people want to change out their wheels is to get a size that is closer to their preference and so it doesn't look as ugly.

Blizzard 04-22-2015 07:42 PM

Just don't use the NRG hub! I tried it and you have to remove the clock spring which will disable traction control and ABS. Get the Works Bell hub and a good wheel. I ended up spending well over $1,000 to fix everything I messed up when I took off my clock spring (including new steering angle sensor, another clockspring, and a waste of money on buying the NRG pos hub). Keep the clock spring straight, get resistors for the air bag sensors, and you should be fine. However, steering wheel was by far my dumbest mod yet haha. Over $1,000 to have a different steering wheel when the stock wheel is very good to begin with.

NLSP 04-22-2015 08:42 PM

Why not get one that actually retains the airbag if it's a daily driver? I'm using the DAMD wheel and I love it. Noticeably smaller, thicker, and the way it's shaped feels really nice in the hands. Cusco and Prova also offer steering wheels that retain the airbag.

cdrazic93 04-22-2015 08:51 PM

You wont get the quick release if you want the air bag.

Then again im not against driving with a helmet and atleast 4 point harness...

ryoma 04-22-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLSP (Post 2223390)
Why not get one that actually retains the airbag if it's a daily driver? I'm using the DAMD wheel and I love it. Noticeably smaller, thicker, and the way it's shaped feels really nice in the hands. Cusco and Prova also offer steering wheels that retain the airbag.

isn't the DAMD wheel the same size as the OEM wheel? I thought OEM was 360mm while DAMD is listed at 358. I'm looking for the smallest one I can find that will keep the airbag. is Cusco the only one at 350mm? I really like the TRD one, but it is the same size as OEM so it's kind of pointless lol.

8R6 04-22-2015 09:01 PM

when you get pulled over, good luck explaining to a cop why you're missing a steering wheel airbag. lol

NLSP 04-22-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoma (Post 2223407)
isn't the DAMD wheel the same size as the OEM wheel? I thought OEM was 360mm while DAMD is listed at 358. I'm looking for the smallest one I can find that will keep the airbag. is Cusco the only one at 350mm? I really like the TRD one, but it is the same size as OEM so it's kind of pointless lol.

Nope, DAMD is definitely smaller.

OEM: 365
TRD: 360
DAMD & Prova: 358
Cusco: 350

I didn't like the shape of the Cusco, I don't like suede/Alcantara that the Prova is made with, and the TRD doesn't have any grooves to conform with your hand/thumbs, so it was DAMD for me. I also have a DAMD wheel in another car, so I knew it was going to be a quality piece.

SimGod 05-22-2020 05:15 PM

After market q/r steering wheel

Hello! I have a 2017 Toyota 86 base automatic. Does anybody know if you can install an aftermarket steering wheel with quick release (nrg, sparco ) and keep functioning racing paddles?

x808drifter 05-22-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimGod (Post 3333796)
Hello! I have a 2017 Toyota 86 base automatic. Does anybody know if you can install an aftermarket steering wheel with quick release (nrg, sparco ) and keep functioning racing paddles?

Name+State+Post=
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136856