Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Toyota some what confirms Celica successor (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19429)

DIG1992 10-10-2012 10:58 AM

Toyota some what confirms Celica successor

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/toyot...his-Weeks-Poll

We sat down with Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada during an international media event for the groundbreaking compact RWD sports car, and he shared with us some of his company's future product plans. According to Tada, the 86 is just the first of three sports cars that Toyota is planning to roll out, and that the 86 is the middle of the two in terms of market positioning.
"The first is more mass-market and cheaper than the 86," Tada revealed. "And the third is more upmarket than the 86."
When asked if the higher-end sports car is the successor to the Supra, Tada said it could possibly be but that nothing is sure yet since his team is still in the process of conceptualizing the two other Toyota sports cars. He also noted that it takes five years to develop a sports car from conceptualization to production, as compared with the three years it normally takes to develop a regular vehicle.
Prior to the 86, Toyota's last sports car in production was the MR-S.
If you had a choice, which Toyota sports car would you like to be revived?

whaap 10-10-2012 11:19 AM

The only sporty/sports car that Toyota ever made that held my interest was the MR-2. I didn't care too much for the 1st generation but the one that followed always reminded me of a baby Ferrari.

midenginebias 10-10-2012 11:42 AM

The MR2, but it will be interesting how light they'll make it and what design language they want to express. Gen I and Gen III were of the lightweight, minimal, short wheelbase group, while Gen II is more in line with the FR-S, just with a mid engine setup.

I'll be impressed if they use the 2AR-FE engine out of the 2013 Scion TC to just undercut the FR-S's engine output, but I think they'll use the 2AZ-FE for more of a power cushion. Either engine in a lighter platform should provide ~160hp and 25/33mpg with related drivetrain gearing.

n2oinferno 10-10-2012 12:04 PM

I have a prediction..

Didn't they say we wouldn't get the Scion here as a convertible, but the rest of the world may as a Toyota?

MR2, a new 2-seater inexpensive convertible sports car, and the Supra as their new high end.

RaceR 10-10-2012 12:08 PM

Exiting news!

Hoping for something RWD with LSD for the " cheaper mass market model"...
And much lower CO2 compared to FR-S, with a little decrease in HP.

Something like this!
http://imagehostinghosting.com/di-1313060333231.jpg

blur 10-10-2012 01:42 PM

Celica might be coming back as the cheaper one... it'll probably be more expensive than the tC, 6 speed like the old one, hopefully a hatch... likely with a relatively high revving inline 4. I doubt the MR-S will come back since it's lack of practicality was a major turn off to many buyers.

Dave-ROR 10-10-2012 02:05 PM

New MR2.. if it's good you'll see this ad from me "FS: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited".

ichitaka05 10-10-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 488347)
New MR2.. if it's good you'll see this ad from me "FS: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited".

Really? Never knew you were MR2 fan.

Rayme 10-10-2012 02:36 PM

I'd love to see a proper new supra, even though it would be way out of my price range.

As far as the celica goes, with the FR-S and TC they really should do something drastic like bringing back a turbo AWD version to compete with the WRX / EVO, if it's just a plain jane sporty FWD it really needs to be something to compete with the SIR / MS3, etc…

The MR2, well it just has no competition :D

Dave-ROR 10-10-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 488376)
Really? Never knew you were MR2 fan.

I love MR2s :)

Hanakuso 10-10-2012 05:03 PM

I'm excited to see another MR-S/MR2. I hope it follows in the footsteps of the previous gen. Light and agile. If it's something equivalent to the MR2 with a 2ZZ, I might have to trade in my FRS for that.

Rampage 10-10-2012 05:05 PM

My personal opinion but I have never considered a Supra a sports car. More of a GT car. (Yes, I have owned one in the past.) So I hope that the low end car is the Celica replacement and the higher market car is the MR2 replacement. Take that Toybaru flat four and drop it in a two seater mid-engined chassis with a six speed bolted up behind it. You could probably even make it low enough that you could have a rear trunk ala the Porsche Boxster and Cayman thus solving the only real complaint that anyone had about the Spyder (except the Pikachu face).

Five years is too long to wait though!

Dave-ROR 10-10-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rampage (Post 488731)
My personal opinion but I have never considered a Supra a sports car. More of a GT car. (Yes, I have owned one in the past.) So I hope that the low end car is the Celica replacement and the higher market car is the MR2 replacement. Take that Toybaru flat four and drop it in a two seater mid-engined chassis with a six speed bolted up behind it. You could probably even make it low enough that you could have a rear trunk ala the Porsche Boxster and Cayman thus solving the only real complaint that anyone had about the Spyder (except the Pikachu face).

Five years is too long to wait though!

5 years seems like a perfect time to sell my BRZ. :shrug: :)

Shagaliscious 10-10-2012 05:09 PM

Oh man, I would probably sell my FR-S if they make a new MR2. Love the MR2.