Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   S2000 vs. FR-S BRZ Track Review Video | Part 2 of 2 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74378)

raul 09-18-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1952413)
I know its that easy to unlock, not even a password set.

You guys barely kept it together, lol.

Dezoris 09-18-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thill (Post 1952200)
And I have to say.. In the outtakes where Turbowski thought he broke the car and realized what it really was... Hilarious.. He has this look on his face when he first thinks he broke the car like "oh shit!"

I am sure he had a mild panic attack...

I actually have never seen him so concerned. Usually he is like (pos, junk, garbage, pile)

He does like the car despite his hatred for working on them.

Jond63 09-18-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling (Post 1951345)
and a square tire setup, where as the S2000 is using the stock staggered setup, which will not turn in as well due to less front grip.

Turn in on the stock S2000 setup is pretty phenomenal... I can't say I ever experienced any understeer in that car, but in the FR-S I feel it understeers a bit initially and then takes a bite.

DarkSunrise 09-18-2014 10:07 PM

Very nice video review. You and Turbowski have good "chemistry" :D

10Stars 09-18-2014 11:00 PM

SAVAGEGEESE! :bow: :thumbsup:

Review was very well done with good production value. I can totally see how someone would choose an s2000.

Honestly the reason I still choose the ft86 platform is because:

1. I can buy it new and with a warranty without worrying if anyone beat the car.
2. Better safety.
3. A somewhat usable back-seat and trunk.
4. Better MPG (Yeah I know but it does play a factor)
5. Coupe not a convertible (Should have cheaper insurance rates)

I think people get the vibe that you hate the ft86 platform because of you're prior videos. I guess people tune in, hear the cons, and immediately start spitting profanity without actually watching the whole review to see what else you have to say about the car. I actually like that you don't ****ride the car and can give honest pros and cons.

Any plans on a different set-up? Maybe JRSC in the future?

mfbmike 09-18-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1952000)
UPDATE:

I wanted to answer this one as I got several private hate messages about bias and trashing the FRS.

Regardless if people think this was biased or not. I did buy both cars and am still investing in the 86, not just in time but also financially. It's a great platform for all of this.

lol, I fail to understand how people can get so up in arms about a review that happens to favor whatever is being compared to the FR-S. I thought both parts of the video were well put together, informative (I sure as hell know more about the s2000 than I did before) funny and interesting enough to watch both in their entirety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raul (Post 1952337)
I'm amazed we're two pages in and no one has pointed out this "WTF" moment:

I saw that during my original watch and said "oh hey crazy anime" and kept watching as if I totally didn't see it. rofl.

Mini Cooper S 09-18-2014 11:32 PM

It would be fun to see the angry PM's :D

drewbot 09-18-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mini Cooper S (Post 1952811)

Take out the usernames but wanna see the fanboy PMs

Wise 09-19-2014 01:06 AM

Awesome. Been looking forward to this.

Love the deadpan humour.

Mim 09-19-2014 02:47 AM

Just wanted to add a big thank you to you both. I've watched pretty much all your recent work and have to say its wildly entertaining. For me at least, your work is up there with other great shows like Everyday Driver for grin inducing value :)

Dezoris 09-19-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mini Cooper S (Post 1952811)

I drop a few tomorrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbot (Post 1952835)
Take out the usernames but wanna see the fanboy PMs

Will do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mim (Post 1952962)
Just wanted to add a big thank you to you both. I've watched pretty much all your recent work and have to say its wildly entertaining. For me at least, your work is up there with other great shows like Everyday Driver for grin inducing value :)

Thanks, don't think its as good as everyday driver hey glad you think so.

R3NIK 09-19-2014 02:04 PM

The "problem" I had with my S2000 is that it was too well tuned from the factory. Yeah, not really a con, but unless you're buying a very nice and adjustable coilover setup for $1500+, the factory suspension couldn't be much improved. Bolt-ons added nothing and were expensive. Only when you go forced induction would you see noticeable benefits. And FI, along with nearly every other mod, was crazy expensive on my AP2.
With the 86, it's a great car for tinkering. It's good from the factory, but you can affordably increase that performance. Out of the box the handling is superb, but there's so much more you can do on a budget to reach and exceed S2000 performance. And that's while retaining the warranty. The added benefits of a coupe (usuable space, insurance, four seats, etc) are just gravy.

I'm sure the S2000 folks say the same thing if they were to (in my opinion) step up to the Cayman. As much as I loved my S2000, I enjoy my FRS more. Being 6'3", I was too tall for my S2000 anyway.

Majik 09-19-2014 03:59 PM

Great vid! Keep them coming and post up some of those angry pm's, lol.

RJasonKlein 09-20-2014 03:52 AM

Dezoris, you really bring a lot to this forum - and I, for one, appreciate it. People can complain over your brutally honest assessment of the 86, but that honesty played a role in convincing me to take the plunge and buy one. Your videos, while being hilarious, gave me real insight to the good, the bad, and the ugly of these cars. I was coming from an E46 M3 and it helped to know exactly what I was getting into - I accept my car's faults and love it for what it is.

Thanks for all you do, brother!