Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   2013 FRS Engine Died (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127968)

Jamesallen45 05-29-2018 04:43 PM

2013 FRS Engine Died

My FRS just died on me one morning. I had gone about 2 miles, doin around 25 mph and it shut off. It made a metal clanging noise and I immediately pushed in the clutch, rolled to a stop and tried to start. The starter freely spins but will not engage the flywheel. I only have a few ideas...Battery, starter are good. Not sure why starter will not engage flywheel. Hoping something came loose that would cause starter to be unable to engage. Something shut down the engine. Any thoughts? Catastrophic or something manageable?

mrg666 05-29-2018 05:51 PM

Your description sounds like broken rod/rod-bearing, camshaft, or timing chain. Broken timing chain is less likely. I would just get it towed to a reliable shop and diagnosed. Is this stock engine?

highway7 05-29-2018 09:52 PM

The starter disconnects once the engine is started, so it wouldn't make sense for a starter to be the cause of the to engine shut down. Starter won't start the engine if the engine is seized or internals are destroyed.

How was oil level? Last oil change? Was the temp good? Any sign of overheating? Was car driven hard? Did you miss 3rd?

humfrz 05-30-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesallen45 (Post 3092749)
My FRS just died on me one morning. I had gone about 2 miles, doin around 25 mph and it shut off. It made a metal clanging noise and I immediately pushed in the clutch, rolled to a stop and tried to start. The starter freely spins but will not engage the flywheel. I only have a few ideas...Battery, starter are good. Not sure why starter will not engage flywheel. Hoping something came loose that would cause starter to be unable to engage. Something shut down the engine. Any thoughts? Catastrophic or something manageable?

Welcome to our forum, there, Jamesallen45 ……. :clap:

Too bad your FR-S is acting up......:(

As asked before, do you have any power mods .. ??

If you have a code reader, does the engine show you any codes .. ??

As asked before …… does the engine have oil in the crankcase .. ??

Like said, sounds like it's time to take it to a shop ….. :sigh:

Please keep us posted.

humfrz

Mr.ac 05-30-2018 02:59 AM

Oh that does sound good. Anything with a metal crunching then a dead engine is not good.
By the sounds of it could be a broken rod, or cam.

As humfrz said any mods to the engine?
That could point us to what happened.

Spuds 05-30-2018 10:05 AM

That's odd that the starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel though. I've never heard of something like that happening.

KDad2 05-30-2018 11:23 AM

Sorry to hear that too. Is your transmission manual or automatic? If it is manual, does it start with the clutch pressed in? Does it stall when you release it?

If all that is good, then perhaps this is an opportunity for an engine swap! I would be considering the same... :thumbup:

Tcoat 05-30-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3092993)
That's odd that the starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel though. I've never heard of something like that happening.

Ya that is not usually a symptom of a bad bearing or rod. We really need more info instead of just pissing into the wind with guesses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDad2 (Post 3093018)
Sorry to hear that too. Is your transmission manual or automatic? If it is manual, does it start with the clutch pressed in? Does it stall when you release it?

If all that is good, then perhaps this is an opportunity for an engine swap! I would be considering the same... :thumbup:

Ummmmmm see above.

humfrz 05-30-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3092993)

Oh, yes …… that can happen ……. just ask ol @Tcoat …… with all those clunkers he has had in the past, I'm sure that has happened to him ….. :D

humfrz

humfrz 05-30-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3093042)
Ya that is not usually a symptom of a bad bearing or rod. We really need more info instead of just pissing into the wind with guesses.

Ummmmmm see above.

Yep, we need to hear back from @Jamesallen45 with additional information.

Also, @KDad2 …...have another cup of coffee …….. :)

humfrz

KDad2 05-30-2018 01:10 PM

Sorry guys. Yes, I do need coffee, running on about a few hours of rest and thought I refreshed the page when work stuff happened during my post.

humfrz 05-30-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDad2 (Post 3093069)
Sorry guys. Yes, I do need coffee, running on about a few hours of rest and thought I refreshed the page when work stuff happened during my post.

You let "work stuff" get in the way of your posting on the forum ….. :confused0068:

Talk with @Tcoat ……. he must have a workaround for that ……. :D

humfrz

Tcoat 05-30-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3093142)
You let "work stuff" get in the way of your posting on the forum ….. :confused0068:

Talk with @Tcoat ……. he must have a workaround for that ……. :D

humfrz

Easy. Get into a career you like. Slowly grind your way up the ladder. Eventually get to a point where you can get others to do much of the heavy lifting. It only takes about 30 years or so.

And contrary to appearances I get a shit load of work done every day.

KDad2 05-30-2018 05:44 PM

Keep working for more car parts. Save up to exit my current profession and move on to one I enjoy!