Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   3 years in, more than surface rust (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109835)

DylanFRS 08-22-2016 08:24 AM

3 years in, more than surface rust

Anyone else having this problem?

http://i.imgur.com/SekUcaa.jpg

I live in Wichita, it snows like twice a year here. Car is garaged every night. I have never sprayed down the engine bay.

Takumi788 08-22-2016 08:26 AM

pic doesn't work

slicktop 08-22-2016 08:45 AM

Pull it up and check if it's migrated. That looks like the hood seal strip, which is removable. If that's the case, just buy another one.

I have some rust near my headlights in one of the bolt holes. Not too concerned as it's not near any panel that's not easily replaced.

RL_BRZ 08-22-2016 11:21 AM

Nope... No problem with my car... 3 yrs and 11 months already...

Yoshoobaroo 08-22-2016 11:31 AM

Yup, my hood seal strip was like that when I bought the car, way worse than yours, no rust underneath though.
just replace it (it's ~$15 IIRC) and spray some Boeshield T9 on the new one.

SLVRSRFR 08-22-2016 12:48 PM

Always keep an eye on the hood seal. Apparently these things are flimsy; I've seen cars with them all bunched up and crunched under the hood, or sticking out.

Mine was folded the one time after I closed the hood and I noticed the next day.

DylanFRS 08-22-2016 03:58 PM

So you're saying my hood seal is messed up which allowed water to get in and caused that under paint rust?

The hood seal looks fine when inspected. At this point I gotta clean up that rust as well. Not sure what the underside looks like.

SLVRSRFR 08-22-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanFRS (Post 2735148)
So you're saying my hood seal is messed up which allowed water to get in and caused that under paint rust?

The hood seal looks fine when inspected. At this point I gotta clean up that rust as well. Not sure what the underside looks like.

I'll admit I can't see your picture because I'm at work and the firewall blocked it.

I was just piggy-backing on previous comments regarding the hood seal, as I've seen multiple cars where it's all janked and probably not doing it's job properly.

Handey87 08-26-2016 10:09 PM

It looks like the front bumper on your car has been removed and repainted. The texture on the bumper doesn't look factory and it looks like when that bolt was removed maybe some paint broke and it started corroding. It's just surface rust though, try removing the bolt and cleaning it up and dabbing some paint on there.

SubieSyncro 09-03-2016 08:10 AM

I was looking at a used 2013 BRZ for sale last week and saw the same rust spot. Seems like every car has a a few trouble spots. Maybe this is it for the BRZ and FRS.

Tcoat 09-03-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubieSyncro (Post 2744751)
I was looking at a used 2013 BRZ for sale last week and saw the same rust spot. Seems like every car has a a few trouble spots. Maybe this is it for the BRZ and FRS.

You do realize that the spot is on a light tin bolt in part not the body of the car right? I do agree that most cars have a spot but we could be years away from knowing where it is.

DAEMANO 09-06-2016 04:14 PM

Totaled

DylanFRS 09-06-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAEMANO (Post 2746815)
Totaled

:bonk:

It's not that it is "totaled", it is more of a worry of things to come. I figured when I posted this that I would get plenty of the "86-can-do-no-wrong"ers on here. Bubbly paint rust on a car after 3 years is pretty unacceptable in my opinion but we are all entitled to our own opinions. :iono:

Ultramaroon 09-07-2016 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanFRS (Post 2747118)
:bonk:

It's not that it is "totaled", it is more of a worry of things to come. I figured when I posted this that I would get plenty of the "86-can-do-no-wrong"ers on here. Bubbly paint rust on a car after 3 years is pretty unacceptable in my opinion but we are all entitled to our own opinions. :iono:

How funny. I had mine apart and cleaned everything just yesterday. Plenty of inexpensive hardware on this car. The shoulder bolts are self tapping. They do rust into the clip so I suggest carefully backing them out. Reverse them a lot and use plenty of wd-40.