Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements / Questions / Issues (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Site rule request (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132399)

tobin 01-13-2019 12:23 PM

Site rule request

Greetings,

I would like to request a rule for posting classified ads on this site, requiring members to leave the pricing information on items after they have sold. Very often, posts are edited to change the listed price to "SOLD". This makes market prices difficult to track over time. I'm active on another site with this rule, and it's very helpful to see the prices that parts are trading hands for—especially to predict prices trending upward or downward over time.

Best regards,
tobin

MuseChaser 01-13-2019 12:26 PM

Not a bad idea. I'd also like this site to require all car manufacturers to always carry and produce at least one quality RWD MT car under $25k in their lineup.

Hey, a guy can dream....

Brink 01-13-2019 04:56 PM

Seems like a good idea but I can see enforcement/moderation for this being problematic. What would happen to posts that were edited in violation of this, does the whole post get removed and then there goes the whole point of the rule? Otherwise mods would have to go through and put the prices back into the post, which would be more time consuming. Seems like it could create a large volume of moderation work.

Also this rule would assume items are being sold at the listed prices, and not negotiated via PM, and could create a false price history.

Tcoat 01-14-2019 11:25 AM

Well let's see here...
You would need a fairly large number of the item to be able to get any sort of reasonable "average" price. A sample size of at least 6 and the more the better.
Items would have to be exactly the same condition or else any pricing set would be meaningless.
Local supply and demand is still going to set value. What a part costs in NorCal could be radically different than Utah.
The age of the ad could skew prices way up or down which would again be reflected in the average. What may have sold for dirt cheap in 2014 my now cost more or vice versa.
There really is no way to determine a "market price" from listings on here. If there is something you want and the price looks good to you then buy it. If not check out Ebay and see what they are selling it for.

Dadhawk 01-14-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3172536)
..If there is something you want and the price looks good to you then buy it. If not check out Ebay and see what they are selling it for.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. While I don't have anything specific against the request, I see minimal value in it as I would reference eBay before buying something off here anyway, due to volume and being able to see sale price.

Tcoat 01-14-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3172574)
That was going to be my suggestion as well. While I don't have anything specific against the request, I see minimal value in it as I would reference eBay before buying something off here anyway, due to volume and being able to see sale price.

Yep. Like people asking about resale, insurance prices, and repair costs any data gleaned from here has to be taken with a grain of salt. The only actual problem that it could cause is that people my go looking for prices (both buying and selling) that just are not reasonable in their region.

x808drifter 01-14-2019 03:12 PM

I'd rather see a mandatory rule to use the [img][/img] code any time you link a pic.

Tcoat 01-15-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3172675)
I'd rather see a mandatory rule to use the [img][/img] code any time you link a pic.

How about with gifs?
https://media.giphy.com/media/FmyFGePdU1wAM/giphy.gif

ichitaka05 01-17-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobin (Post 3172182)
Greetings,

I would like to request a rule for posting classified ads on this site, requiring members to leave the pricing information on items after they have sold. Very often, posts are edited to change the listed price to "SOLD". This makes market prices difficult to track over time. I'm active on another site with this rule, and it's very helpful to see the prices that parts are trading hands for—especially to predict prices trending upward or downward over time.

Best regards,
tobin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3172536)
Well let's see here...

Thanks for the long example... but here's the simple fact. When item is sold, it gets closed & when that happen, not ALL the closed threads are able to view. IDK why or how... just randomly some do, some don't. Stupid vBulletin

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3172675)

I thought bout this... but I gave up on that idea. As long as they follow #2 and have link for the photo listed, good enough for me.