Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   NA Build (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152232)

Roman 01-10-2023 02:07 AM

NA Build

Hey drifters and time attackers...

I own a FR-S 2013 for 18 months now. I am single and it is my 3rd vehicle at home, and from day one this car is fun only NEVER commute type of car.
I track 4-6 times a year, and after a 20 min warm up. It is pretty much high rpm. I service the car on duration basis because I don't reach enough km a year to wait for the mileage.

So what was done so far:
NO interior, only driver seat and dash (and i left the driver door panel for the buttons and the arm rest convenience), Coilovers, ALL mounts and bushings kit by whiteline, exhaust (was done by previous owner).
I feel like break size is sufficient for cars weight so just better quality.
Since its never driven in winter, I want to do a refresh on the engine with higher grade components (i do it as a profession but not on cars).
I do understand it'll probably shorten it's life. But seeing how i'm at 80k and the engine is going really strong. If, after some upgrades, i can do 50k until next overhaul, that's fine, as long as it'd due to wear-out, not breakdown.

My goal is safely cross 9Krpm. But not with forced induction.
Anyone has best ecu and maybe parts combo that were tested for NA builds?
If I could buy a full kit with that purpose in mind, I would love the person who will link me to it.:bow:

BTW, crickets noise is coming (in my case) from air re-circulation flaps in the sides of the rear bumper... I keep taping it but after a race day and the heat, it comes off lol...:mad0259:

Many friends are like why you need a fr-s if you have a Golf R? to which i answer: I have no response that will make you understand...
People don't get it :burnrubber:
Thanks all

CedN 01-10-2023 04:00 AM

I think the lubrication system will put the limitation on reving, do some research on all the fixes that are out there. Other than that its just an NA engine, so intake, exhaust lengths, cam timing and ports just need to be matched to your targets. Its not cheap if you cant do it yourself. But it would probably sound nice :)

Grady 01-10-2023 08:18 AM

As stated above the oil pump will be your limiting factor on getting that RPM. Start looking into a dry sump and external oil pump solution. Stock ECU will be fine.

NoHaveMSG 01-10-2023 10:57 AM

How many wheelbarrows of cash do you have?

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99291

http://elementtuning.com/competition...r-wrx-fa20dit/

Spuds 01-10-2023 01:53 PM

Is it just me, or is this the 4th new member in the last 2 months to ask what an NA build on a 2013 would take? Did something happen on instaspam or fecebook that is inspiring this? Or is this all the same person asking 10 times?

Or am I crazy?

Roman 01-10-2023 08:32 PM

thanks guys... links will help...

oil pressure, and else where i read springs for valves and The Connecting Rods...

@Spuds i think the reason its all of a sudden popular is the fact new gen came out bringing older price down....

x808drifter 01-11-2023 01:47 AM

You want the car to rev up to 9k safely?
K20 swap.
/endthread

Dzmitry 01-11-2023 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman (Post 3563509)
Hey drifters and time attackers...

I own a FR-S 2013 for 18 months now. I am single and it is my 3rd vehicle at home, and from day one this car is fun only NEVER commute type of car.
I track 4-6 times a year, and after a 20 min warm up. It is pretty much high rpm. I service the car on duration basis because I don't reach enough km a year to wait for the mileage.

So what was done so far:
NO interior, only driver seat and dash (and i left the driver door panel for the buttons and the arm rest convenience), Coilovers, ALL mounts and bushings kit by whiteline, exhaust (was done by previous owner).
I feel like break size is sufficient for cars weight so just better quality.
Since its never driven in winter, I want to do a refresh on the engine with higher grade components (i do it as a profession but not on cars).
I do understand it'll probably shorten it's life. But seeing how i'm at 80k and the engine is going really strong. If, after some upgrades, i can do 50k until next overhaul, that's fine, as long as it'd due to wear-out, not breakdown.

My goal is safely cross 9Krpm. But not with forced induction.
Anyone has best ecu and maybe parts combo that were tested for NA builds?
If I could buy a full kit with that purpose in mind, I would love the person who will link me to it.:bow:

BTW, crickets noise is coming (in my case) from air re-circulation flaps in the sides of the rear bumper... I keep taping it but after a race day and the heat, it comes off lol...:mad0259:

Many friends are like why you need a fr-s if you have a Golf R? to which i answer: I have no response that will make you understand...
People don't get it :burnrubber:
Thanks all

As some others have pointed out, this is not easily achievable, and certainly not reliably. Serious modifications have to be made as these engines just don't have the proper lubrication to support such a high RPM range. It has been done quite a bit already by many people. I believe all of those stories ended badly and the projects were dropped. If the idea ever worked out even reasonably, such products or custom jobs would exist for us in the market today. But that's not the case. Only the people with the deepest pockets probably dig into this and you don't hear much about it. Moral of the story... it's just not worth it for this engine. You want high RPM, get a swap that can handle it.

Dzmitry 02-02-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_Page (Post 3565420)
If your goal is to safely rev the engine to 9,000 RPM without forced induction, there are a few things you can do to achieve this. One option is to upgrade the ECU (Engine Control Unit) to one that is specifically designed for high-performance, naturally aspirated builds. Another option is to upgrade the engine components, such as the pistons, rods, and valve train, to handle the increased stress of high RPMs. You can also consider upgrading the intake and exhaust systems to increase airflow and improve engine breathing.

It's worth noting that upgrading the engine components will likely shorten the overall lifespan of the engine, as the increased stress will cause parts to wear out faster. However, if you're only planning to use the car for track days and high-performance driving, it may be worth the trade-off.

As for specific products, there are many companies that offer high-performance engine components and ECUs for the FR-S/BRZ/86 platform. Some popular options include HKS, Cosworth, and Tomei. It may be helpful to research and read reviews from other FR-S/BRZ/86 owners who have upgraded their engines for high-performance driving to get an idea of what works well and what doesn't.

Regarding the cricket noise coming from the air re-circulation flaps, it could be due to a malfunction in the flap mechanism or the actuator. It may be worth checking these parts to see if they need replacement or repair.

Finally, you're right, people don't get it. You love your car, it's fun and you track it. That's what matters.

You gave two options that help support high RPM achievement but completely ignored the lubrication issue, which is the HEART of the issue with this engine at high RPM's.

NoHaveMSG 02-02-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3566781)
You gave two options that help support high RPM achievement but completely ignored the lubrication issue, which is the HEART of the issue with this engine at high RPM's.

99% sure it's a bot. If you look at the post history it's all really odd, like every post looks like a google search answer.

dragoontwo 02-02-2023 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3566787)
99% sure it's a bot. If you look at the post history it's all really odd, like every post looks like a google search answer.

Also a very specific location that doesn't exist.

Dzmitry 02-02-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3566787)

Yeah, I've picked up on that now as I'm catching up on the forum :)
In fact it's very annoying now lol that I just want to respond. :lol:

Grady 02-07-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_Page (Post 3567619)
I want to disappoint you, I'm not a bot. Just expressed my opinion. Thank you!

I figured it was a bot since your listed address is not valid.

Tcoat 02-07-2023 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_Page (Post 3567619)
I want to disappoint you, I'm not a bot. Just expressed my opinion. Thank you!

OK so a live spammer then.
You already outed yourself
Goodbye
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...5&postcount=13