Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FRS colors = Prius colors? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33308)

lemonspeakers 04-10-2013 01:29 PM

FRS colors = Prius colors?

With where I live, I’ve seen more Toyota Prius that I need in my lifetime. Because of that, I’ve seen all the factory colors of a Prius. But, I’ve yet to see all the colors of an FRS.

My question is, are the colors on the FRS the same colors they use on the Prius? They look incredibly similar. If this is true, then I've seen all the colors of the FRS.

i.e. The Pearl white Toyota uses on the FRS is practically the same as the pearl white on the FRS/BRZ

On a side note, there are many BRZ owners in my area. But I’ve seen them ONLY in WRB. Actually, I saw one in pearl white one time. Once.

zaptorque 04-10-2013 01:30 PM

No, all FR-S colors except Hot Lava are Subaru paint codes.

naikaidriver 04-10-2013 02:28 PM

ALL '86s are manufactured at a Subaru plant in Japan.

So, no. They aren't Prius colors any more than they are Camaro, Accord, Mustang, Aston Martin, ect colors.

Scott

lemonspeakers 04-10-2013 03:14 PM

I swear though, the pearl white and galaxy blue on Prius cars are quite literally the same on FRS.
Wait, I guess then the question is: Do Prius(es) paint colors come from Subaru?

gily25 04-10-2013 03:19 PM

Fashionable colors are fashionable colors. I'm sure the paint code differs but overal the colors are repeated across industries. I saw a blue maxima the other day I swear was WR Blue.

naikaidriver 04-10-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemonspeakers (Post 855544)
I swear though, the pearl white and galaxy blue on Prius cars are quite literally the same on FRS.
Wait, I guess then the question is: Do Prius(es) paint colors come from Subaru?

No, they come from Dupont!

Scott

m.box.design 04-10-2013 03:20 PM

FR-S in champagne... hmmmmmm..

LeeMaster 04-10-2013 03:21 PM

If they do not have the same paint code, then they are not the same color.

The Red FRS is a hair darker than the Lightning Red BRZ(I parked next to one so I know). Even though they are both built in Gunma, they are not the same color..

And why do you care if the FRS uses the same paint as a Prius? If you dont want to look like a Prius go buy a WRB BRZ.

MVJ1975 04-10-2013 03:44 PM

The nautical blue on the Prius is darker than GBS/Ultramarine. E8H is actually closer in shade to Toyota 8T5 (Blue Ribbon Metallic) than 8S6 (Nautical Blue).

continuecrushing 04-10-2013 03:49 PM

um, op you should be banned for even mentioning this.

jkjk!

Veloist 04-10-2013 03:51 PM

I have both the Whiteout FR-S and Blizzard Pearl Prius. The FR-S (Subaru's Satin White Pearl) is more of a creamy white, and Blizzard Pearl is more brighter but has more Pearl Texture in sunlight. In cases of extreme sunlight, both cars look white with pearl flaking. The time I can really tell the difference is during the sunset when sunlight is not too extreme.

Look closely and you may be able to see how darker the FR-S is

lemonspeakers 04-10-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloist (Post 855658)
I have both the Whiteout FR-S and Blizzard Pearl Prius. The FR-S (Subaru's Satin White Pearl) is more of a creamy white, and Blizzard Pearl is more brighter but has more Pearl Texture in sunlight. In cases of extreme sunlight, both cars look white with pearl flaking. The time I can really tell the difference is during the sunset when sunlight is not too extreme.

Look closely and you may be able to see how darker the FR-S is

White Balance if gnarly and off. But it serves the purpose to answer my question.
I actually prefer the Prius pearl. I think it's gorgeous. All this time, i thought they were the same. But who here owns a white prius and a white frs to juxtapose and compare/contrast?

@Veloist, Thanks! That really helps!

finch1750 04-10-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMaster (Post 855564)
If they do not have the same paint code, then they are not the same color.

The Red FRS is a hair darker than the Lightning Red BRZ(I parked next to one so I know). Even though they are both built in Gunma, they are not the same color..

And why do you care if the FRS uses the same paint as a Prius? If you dont want to look like a Prius go buy a WRB BRZ.

the FRS and BRZ do share the same paint codes, so they are the same (except hot lava and wrb). It must have been a batch color difference that you saw or something.

Edit: see the paint code chart here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6519

mrlewistan 04-10-2013 06:20 PM

Unless you look real close my philosophy is black is black and red is red. Changing the tint slightly won't affect my opinion on most cars n colors